Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hate to be one of *THOSE* people, but...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
My vote is for The Witcher and Mask of the Betrayer.

Texas Red

Whiner
When you fight a demon with an Asian girl one of your responses is(paraphrased) "I bet you're happy he didn't have tentacles."

:lol:

Quigs

Magister
Yeah, having an absolute blast with the vampire game. I enjoy the attention to detail, and how for a refreshing change of pace, the game assumes you the player has some intelligence, rather then hand holding. Getting directions is a perfect example. "Go to the parking garage, make a right, then a left, then head down to the pier.", rather then "Go east." and having a new icon pop up on your I can't find shit compass™

I thought I was half decent at combat, but then I faught the first boss. Was pretty tough. I'd like to think the combat system is a bit wonky, especially for melee, but odds are I just suck at it.

MotB... I dunno. Like I said, the whole 3.5 thing is dead to me. Possibly my favorite part of an RPG is character advancement. I love the feeling of my actions bettering my character, and to me, 3.5 completely fails in that regard. Classes are allright when your playing a strategy RPG, and have to juggle a dozen or more units, but when you've only got one character, it just seems so forced. I'm probably in the minority on this issue, and I earnestly don't mean to belittle the opinions of those who recommended the game, it's just I *personally* don't enjoy 3.5 anymore, and that's why I requested it be left out of the recommendations.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Witcher and MotB were both amazing. Bloodlines was a blast, as well.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Quigs? Play Mask of the Betrayer. Alright? Just do it. You'll like it. All the cool kids do. You wanna be cool, don't you?

Also seconding The Witcher (enhanced edition, but I enjoyed the unenhanced edition too).

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was never a huge fan of DnD either (Hell, I still don't understand the majority of the rules), but MotB is still an excellent game. The incredible role playing bits of the game as well as the some of the best storytelling in a CRPG in a long while far out weigh the crappy ruleset and battle system.

Zomg

Arbiter
Quigs said:
MotB... I dunno. Like I said, the whole 3.5 thing is dead to me. Possibly my favorite part of an RPG is character advancement. I love the feeling of my actions bettering my character, and to me, 3.5 completely fails in that regard. Classes are allright when your playing a strategy RPG, and have to juggle a dozen or more units, but when you've only got one character, it just seems so forced. I'm probably in the minority on this issue, and I earnestly don't mean to belittle the opinions of those who recommended the game, it's just I *personally* don't enjoy 3.5 anymore, and that's why I requested it be left out of the recommendations.

You can't possibly have a lower opinion of 3+ edition than me, and I enjoyed MotB.

The combat isn't great, but it's not debilitating.

Zhirzzh

Scholar
Look, everything you say about 3.5 is true, especially at epic levels, but MotB is really easy for most classes, and if it gets too hard for your class, just turn it down to easy. The system isn't the point and the combat isn't the point. It's all about the C&C, the lack of handholding, and the story.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Have you installed Wesp's Bloodlines patch, Quigs?

You may also try Gothic 3 with Community patch 1.7 when it's out or 1.6 for now.
Gothic 2 Gold is far better though, so if you haven't played it...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Hazelnut said:
Mefi said:
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Solohk said:
micmu said:
Radisshu said:
Jaesun said:
Shevek said:
Well, its DnD, but Mask of the Betrayer is probably the best CRPG in recent memory.

Can we be done with this already?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Hazelnut said:
Mefi said:
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Solohk said:
micmu said:
Radisshu said:
Jaesun said:
Shevek said:
Well, its DnD, but Mask of the Betrayer is probably the best CRPG in recent memory.

Xor said:
Can we be done with this already?

Only when the circle is complete.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom