Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hate to be one of *THOSE* people, but...

Quigs

Magister
Please reccomend me a decent RPG that's come out in the last couple years. Non Jap, Non Console, Non D&D, Non Hybrid (Bioshock, Sacred, etc)

Thanks.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Bloodlines or Silent Storm, depending on whether you play RPGs for the atmosphere, story, and C&C, or for the combat.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jaime Lannister said:
Bloodlines or Silent Storm, depending on whether you play RPGs for the atmosphere, story, and C&C, or for the combat.

You fail. He said last couple of years, and Bloodlines came three years ago.

Still, I would recommend it. It's the only worthy recent RPG.

Quigs

Magister
I felt that the wisdom and knowledge of some members here could provide temporarily outweighed my desire to never deal with mindless "Being a dick is cool!" trolls again.

orao

Novice
I can't believe The Witcher has not been suggested yet. However the enhanced edition is coming out VERY SOON, so wait for that.

Quigs

Magister
That I know less about, though I've heard time and time again that it was pretty broken in places. That just people being loudmouths, or what? Also, if you wouldnt mind explaining the basic premise, I'd be thankfull.

Shevek

Arcane
Well, its DnD, but Mask of the Betrayer is probably the best CRPG in recent memory.

Quigs

Magister
Good call on bloodlines, really digging it so far. Friggin chickin had me laughing my ass off.

And Shevek, thanks for chiming in, just... Bleh. D&D is such a dead universe to me.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Quigs, your kind of asking a lot. You know how you use a search engine and your looking for something really rare then you want to find something almost exactly like what you have in your head. It just never happens.

I guess you could try oblivion.

Asking for a new CRPG that isn't DnD is pretty funneh. You could also wait for Fo3 if you wanted.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Quigs said:
That I know less about, though I've heard time and time again that it was pretty broken in places. That just people being loudmouths, or what? Also, if you wouldnt mind explaining the basic premise, I'd be thankfull.

It's an action rhythm game in some places. Swordplay is merely switching styles that does more dmg to certain targets and clicking once the sword icon changes. You don't mindless click repeatedly.

It's got a weird blend of action and railroads but in between the rail roads, you are allowed track changes, that somewhat changes the outcome in latter chapters. Like, slaying a bum on the street as a quest choice may feel like an inconsequential choice immediately but later on, perhaps a bunch of peasants would tolerate you less since you murdered one of them. Sometimes the protagonist will narrate his realization of this over a beautiful drawn painted cutscene.

Take for example in real life, you had an option to leave your house now or 15 mins later. Perhaps you decided to go now and found out on your return that there was a fire on the neighboring unit 15 minutes after you left. Then you suddenly realize the possibility of a 'missed encounter'. That's how Witcher seem to be unique to me.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
orao said:
I can't believe The Witcher has not been suggested yet.

Because someone'd rush in with and scream, with furious indignation, that it's not an RPG but an action game.

But I also recommend TW and MotB both. I don't think there's anything else in the RPG vein that's come out recently that's even a little bit worthwhile. Ah, there is Mass Effect, but "decent" it isn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom