Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hard West - tactical turn based + wild west setting

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The Codex Report is out. This thread makes a cameo!

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Piqued my interest. I shall keep a note on this! :) Will Hard West be getting a drm-free release btw?

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Awesome, you had me at "drm-free release" ;) Looks like Hard West has now restored my faith in kickstarter games along with a few other titles.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
After The Dwarves, it's the second game I've didn't expected to be promising before reading Gamescom coverage.

Added to "check when demo(of any kind) is out" list.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Finally took my time and installed the beta/alpha/whatever.

The first scenario is enjoyable, I like how the game is properly deadly. But this thread is not for praise, so let's jump into details:

1) AI is "suspicious" when you come too close. Unfortunately this is all it does. I mean - if I make a guy suspicious every turn he should turn very suspicious at some point, right? Maybe it is just my awesome sneaking skill, but enemy being suspicious did nothing to me
2) Walking while undiscovered takes forever. That is one animation I'd love to speed up
3) While undiscovered the characters don't take cover, at least not after double move. After a single move I have to click on them to do so. It should be automatic, nobody moves to cover not to use it..
4) Holding an enemy at gunpoint by 2 characters (so I can release the "original" hold-up character to go do something else) is pointless. As soon as the guy who was first to hold up the enemy lowers his gun - combat starts. Doesn't matter there was another guy pointing a shotgun right at enemy's face.
Again either I don't know how to do it or it just doesn't work.
5) After I flawlessly infiltrated the bank and stole the money without shooting anyone (like the criminal mastermind I am).. I got an objective to kill everybody to escape. That was a buzzkill.

I'd still play the shit out of the full game, not regretting backing it. Why exactly is this tagged decline?:M

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
There was a news on the potato site CdAction in which the release date was stated - 4th november. Price is 20 euro, 25 for some deluxe edition with soundtrack and other digital things. There was also a "release date trailer" on Youtube.
But the article since then is removed and i cannot find this trailer on Youtube. Maybe they've pulled the trigger too early.

Edit: http://www.shacknews.com/article/91795/hard-west-prepares-for-a-showdown-on-november-4th

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Am I right to assume that test backer build will never again be updated (as release is 2 weeks from now)?

I need moar to test than just bank robbery (outdated one to boot, no luck mechanics in sight). Honestly it is not a craving for more flesh tbs action!

Astral Rag

Arcane
Looks interesting, unfortunately it looks like this is another Unity Engine game. Might still buy it, if monocled Codexers review it favorably that is.

Last edited:
Developer
Am I right to assume that test backer build will never again be updated (as release is 2 weeks from now)?
Uhh, no, I don't think so. That takes time, and time is never on your side when wrapping up a game :P But it should upgrade to full game on day 1!

Looks interesting, unfortunately it looks like this is another Unity Engine game.
Not sure what's there to hate? Well, from developer standpoint, there's a lot if you used to work with Unreal.
But I'm just curious why'd one say that from player's perspective?

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Looks interesting, unfortunately it looks like this is another Unity Engine game. Might still buy it, if monocled Codexers review it favorably that is.

you said it shouldn't be taken too seriously
you said it was just your
personal ideas and opinions
you said it was only meant to relate
directly to your life
what about my life?

has the edge gone dull? (chorus 4x)

well maybe now that you've grown
dull and old
well pick up where you left off
to you it was just music
but to us it was so much more
when we put our heads together
well prove we've got the edge
that can never dull

true till death
has the edge gone dull?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Unity gets hate because it's poorly optimized and the aesthetic visuals are usually mediocre unless you got some whizzbang artists behind it (see: Endless Legend). So you often get ugly looking games that run like ass.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Not sure what's there to hate? Well, from developer standpoint, there's a lot if you used to work with Unreal.
But I'm just curious why'd one say that from player's perspective?

9sxYw58.jpg

The typical 3D Unity Engine game:

Has visuals that look 5-10 years out of date AND performs poorly, it's 2015 yet this popular engine cannot into properly using multi-core processors:
7ASrazC.jpg

I'm often baffled by how poor these 3D Unity games run. I mean I've played Unity "powered" turn-based games that managed to run like crap on a computer that runs games like modded FSX and GTA V without a hitch.

Is a bug-ridden mess on release, many are never fixed.

Has a laughable lack of options for users, a typical Unity Graphics Options menu looks like this:
b0sfQgd.jpg

I'm well-aware that there are some exceptions but I'm positive that most of those decent games would be even better if they ran on a more competent engine.

One might be tempted to think that these problems arise because the Unity Engine seems to be the engine of choice of inexperienced developers and hacks alike (just have a look at the never ending stream of garbage that gets uploaded to Steam) but this is not always true, see Wasteland 2, Satellite Reign etc.

Anyway, I hope Hard West proves to be one of the exceptions.

Edit: FYI, apparently Codexers are having a Unity vs UE debate here.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
So, have they produced anything? I do not want to check another thread of circlejerk. But a simple link to product page / demo would do.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Time Is Of The Essence
6 Comments

Here's a message from Death himself, the narrator of Hard West's story:

https://youtu.be/fYPsk3X_mC4

We announced the November 4th release date for the game less than 2 weeks ago. And we could totally keep it. The thing is, in the meantime we found some points where the game experience could really be improved. A lot of that insight came from your feedback and from streamers and media posting their gameplay. We could easily patch that in post-launch but in the end we've decided to push the launch back a little bit and release Hard West in the best shape possible, with all the little things included.

The problem is, that in this crazy time of huge releases, we need to look for a good window to launch the game in order to avoid the marketing steamroller with which no mortals can compete. Thus, we're pushing the launch of Hard West to November 18th. We hope that just as you supported us along the way, you'll agree with our decision. We're already working on something to make it up to you. In other news, on Monday, November 2nd, we'll update the Exclusive Backer Access build with new content to tide you over.

In the meantime, enjoy this new bit of gameplay:

https://youtu.be/zto1Pp5Qywo

Well.. I don't know if this is good or bad, I do have the backer access so as long as I get to test the new mechanics I'm good.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After the release of Fallout 4? I wonder how this is going to work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom