Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halo + KOTOR = Mass Effect (still enjoyed it though)

Project: Eternity
I just played through Mass Effect, summing up some of my impressions here.

Bought from: Direct2Drive, because it's getting harder and harder to carry my bulk to shops now :lol: and I am lazy. Installed without trouble though, patching worked and the free "Bring down the sky" extra content installed as well.

GFX: Runs fine speed-wise on a Core2Duo 6300 (the smallest of the bunch) and a AGP Radeon 1950 Pro. Framerate is acceptable on this machine (which is good since this is a FPS/RPG hybrid), though there is a bug with Depth of Field that makes distant lights and scenery look hella pixelated on older ATI cards but fortunately a user made a patch for that (guess Bioware didn't feel this was too bad a bug...). Oh, and self shadows create ugly patches on character faces.

Sound: worked fine, no problems with my onboard sound. Some nice atmospheric music, and appropriate weapon sounds (except for the sniper rifle, which is just weird). Voice acting is OK, love the female protagonist voice by Jennifer Hale O GOD ITZ XTASY!!!!!

Gameplay: The shooter part has 4 upgradable weapons (pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, sniper rifle) for any character, different classes do better damage and have more accuracy with some weapons. Cover system where you hide behind stuff and pop up to shoot. Enemies use cover too. I do play FPS from time to time but am not amazingly good at it. Fighting is fairly easy, though the AI of companions isn't too great. It's actually quite fun, I didn't hate it at least. The classes also have different special powers in combat (warrior, tech or "biotics"=jedi/magic) that I didn't actually use much myself, but can be useful.
Inventory management was kinda annoying since most of the weapons are pretty damn similar and you can find a lot of them. I would have liked a "always equip best weapon" option or something, but you can live with it. Unneeded equipment can be sold obviously, or converted into "omni gel" which can be used to break open locked containers without going through a silly minigame first.

Story and roleplaying: The main storyline felt like a mix of Halo and Knights of the Old Republic, with various other SF clichees thrown in. That said, I still enjoyed it. I may have played too much standard quasi-medieval fantasy stuff lately so the SF atmosphere felt refreshing. I finished the main quest in about 26 hours with a small amount of side quests thrown in and never felt bored. Don't expect ultra hard SF with every physics problem explained, this is more "light" space opera. The micro-sidequests in the main locales can be quite fun, but the unknown planet exploration bits are fairly boring (I did a few of these and ignored them later because they were so boring and cookie cutter, though I didn't play the DLC mission yet). There's this all terrain vehicle thingy that you get to ride around in, which doesn't really handle very well and sometimes is just silly when you are basically driving over steep mountains with it. That is definitely the weakest part of the game (though you get to use the tank in the main quest too, where it's slightly more fun due to less random seeming areas).
Companions are OK, I used the tough soldier girl and the quasi-Jedi alien scientist girl mostly this time. Not too annoying, but not amazing either really. Will use the alien secret agent guy and quasi-Klingon warrior next.
RP means "Paragon/Renegade" choices i.e. good and evil, which is extremely reminiscent of KOTOR (I could swear some of the quests were taken almost 1:1, but that could be my memory). Played through on the Good path this time. There are some choices that are fairly heavy since you can lose companions permanently. The "RP skills" are Charm and Intimidate, which you can spend points on when leveling and which will open up (or make impossible) dialog options depending on the rank you have (its possible to upgrade both, and you will get a bonus from being a certain level of Paragon or Renegade). I spent most of my points on Charm this time around, but you can improve both these skills, I'll try out maxing both of these and mix my approaches to convincing NPCs on the next playthrough.

All things considered I think this is not a revolutionary, but definitely a good game. The presentation is fairly polished. I'll play it through at least twice, so maybe 50 hours of gameplay or so? All in all I felt it wasn't a waste of money.

Thanks for reading! :D

Deleted member 7219

Hated Halo, loved KOTOR, liked Mass Effect.

PS: Actually there's at least some effort to make the SF "harder", like the descriptions of planets and such are not just "this is a desert world" but include more plausible seeming detail.

DiverNB

Liturgist
I liked what Mass Effect did with the planets' history, if only that had somehow found itself into the rest of the game I think it would be much better.

Mass Effect wasn't a terrible game, it did have some interesting side quests here and there that didn't involve

Land on planet
Drive
Find Debris
Find Anomaly
Kill Sandworm

But there just weren't enough of them. Also, I'd like it if they made the combat a little more interesting.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I just got this the other day too, strangely enough.

I'm finding the combat a bit of a chore, to be honest. It has some potential, certainly, and when it works it is quite a bit of fun. However I'm finding that the design of the encounters, which often have you starting surrounded and with no real cover to speak of, doesn't exactly play to the systems strengths. Nor does the AI, for that matter, which seems to take particular joy in either sitting behind cover forever, not even popping out to take shots, or running headlong towards you so you end up in a panicked clusterfuck of you, your two buddies, three enemies and a camera not built for such encounters.

The dialogue system isn't exactly amazing. I can't even see what it advantages it was trying to bring either, as I'm just as often unsatisfied with the options they present as I would be with fully written dialogue options. It also seems pretty cheap when two options on the wheel give exactly the same response from Shepherd. The writing itself however does seem pretty decent. The military nature seems to suit Bioware's generally terse writing style, as you're not often going to be engaging in long running in depth conversations in such situations. Maybe it was the attitude of the Codex before it came out, but I was actually expecting a little more extreme collar grabbing action.

As said by others the side quests and general exploration element seem pretty bad. I think it might be controversial, but I think the game would have benefited a lot from dropping side quests altogether in favour of a more detailed, longer, possibly branching main quest. It is a criticism that can often be levelled at epic RPGs, but doing side quests doesn't exactly fit with the implied urgency of the main quest.

Stability is a big miss though. I've never had a game this buggy when buying on release, let alone some months later. I've had crashes to desktop about every hour, random white noise screeching from my speakers intermittently (only fixable by exiting and restarting the game) and huge areas of missing textures on outdoor areas (leaving large squares of empty blackness), the worst instance of which had me driving the vehicle in an area where a wrong turn would be insta-death, for a sweary trial and error fun-a-thon.

Yeah, the main quest is the best part of the game really, expanding that would make sense rather than making more mini missions.

Also, it did feel kinda weird to take time out to "save a kitten from a tree" when your character knows that [very bad things will happen to everyone], which is a problem with all epic stories I guess.

I agree with you that the "surrounded by enemies right after cutscene" thing is very annoying.

As for bugs, I just remembered a point where the enemies kept clipping through the floor and were running around beneath it, making it only possible to kill them by shooting at the 3 pixels or so that still were above it. It worked, but didn't exactly help immersion.

DraQ

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
As for bugs, I just remembered a point where the enemies kept clipping through the floor and were running around beneath it, making it only possible to kill them by shooting at the 3 pixels or so that still were above it. It worked, but didn't exactly help immersion.
Why? It seems that they were almost completely immersed.

It's okay, but there's no replay value since the character system is boring, there's no variety to combat and it doesn't really matter which crew member you have with you at a time. The crew's really bland, by the way, the dialogue always goes kind of like this : "NO DON'T KILL INNOCENT CIVILIANS HOW HORRIBLE" "Well HA-HA I will!" "Well, okay then, if you say so.". I suppose it's better than having a bunch of whiny emo kids, but this has to be the least memorable party I have ever seen. You thought Casavir was lame? Casavir was avesome after you have played Mass Effect.

Looting is also very boring and bland, there's no excitement in getting new stuff, and you get too much of it.

I actually liked the planetfall missions, to a point. I liked the desolate feeling, but since all of them are like that, you don't bother exploring after a while. Also, the area's are too small (console flaw?) and too rocky, valley-like (driving the vehicle over a mountain is really weird, it is kind of glued to the surface. Also, on one mission, I drove in to the sea perhaps ten meters from the beach and suddenly, the damn vehicle sunk and I had to re-load from half an hour back, which is where I stopped playing. Most of my re-loads have been because of the Mako bouncing wildly off the map.).

It's not really bad, nor is it as bland as Oblivion, but it seems to be pretty short and lacks everything that make RPG's re-playable and it isn't really a kick-ass shooter either. This is why action RPG's mostly fail, I think.

DraQ said:
Freelance Henchman said:
Why? It seems that they were almost completely immersed.

Heh. :)

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Looting is also very boring and bland, there's no excitement in getting new stuff, and you get too much of it.

I've found this a problem with almost all Bioware games I've ever played, and it's not just the amount of loot either (though that is pretty bad). This'll probably get me flak, but I always find it a problem in any game with written list based inventory systems (Oblivion) rather than actual icon images (ultima7). I mean what is clearer and more memorable, a dry list with a hundred copy and paste names or actual images that you can recognize in an instant?
[Waits for Reading is teh hard comments]

The sci-fi could have been a little more convincing as well. The universe isn't too bad, and it deserves points for doing a better job at sci-fi than most games, but the aliens often seem too human. For example on one quest you're asked to convince some Turian general to stop his crazy stalking of the consort at the citadel and at one point he remaks that he'd better go and take a cold shower. That seems a very human response to me. It's not the best example, but it'd be nice to see the aliens behaving in a more uniquely alien manner more often.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Freelance Henchman said:
Don't expect ultra hard SF with every physics problem explained, this is more "light" space opera.
You gotta be kidding me. The very premise of the game contradicts any notion of hard sci-fi.

Also, what I'd like to see in a game is simultanous translation (computer voice) with the original speech in the background like we have on Tee Vee.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
What, you don't find a species of all-female mystics/telepaths/whatthefuck and sentient robot-things that hibernate for some ten thousand of years to be "hard sci-fi" material? Picky, picky. Next you'll tell me Star Wars is not hard science fiction. :(

Bluebottle said:

I've found this a problem with almost all Bioware games I've ever played, and it's not just the amount of loot either (though that is pretty bad). This'll probably get me flak, but I always find it a problem in any game with written list based inventory systems (Oblivion) rather than actual icon images (ultima7). I mean what is clearer and more memorable, a dry list with a hundred copy and paste names or actual images that you can recognize in an instant?
[Waits for Reading is teh hard comments]

That, and it doesn't help that the items are really just variations of "Assault Rifle 1, 2,...12". Imagine if in Diablo 2, instead of finding Immortal King's Soul Cage you'd find Barbarian Armour 9 which, instead of being a new item with new pro's and con's, would be just the same than Barbarian Armour 8 but with +5% to properties. And there would be only a 10min delay between finding the improved item, of course. How could anyone have thought a system like this is fun is beyond me.

The list based system would be a lot more tolerable if they listed the same items like 15xProton Ammo instead of how they did it here :
Proton Ammo II
Proton Ammo II
Proton Ammo II
Proton Ammo II
Proton Ammo II
And so on. Of course in the game these take a lot more space, so you'll see six items at once or something like that.

DraQ

Arcane
I'm willing to play significantly softened SF if and only if it's at least as awesome as Anachronox, and, mind you, while somewhat lighthearted, this game still had
manipulation of universe's expansion/contraction via removal/injection of mass
as major plot element.

Sufficiently cool SF-Fantasy hybrids qualify.

Claw said:
Freelance Henchman said:
Don't expect ultra hard SF with every physics problem explained, this is more "light" space opera.
You gotta be kidding me. The very premise of the game contradicts any notion of hard sci-fi.

Heh yeah, that may have been a "WARNING this fantasy RPG contains pointy-eared elves" statement from me. I just felt it necessary to say it for completeness' sake :wink:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"loved KOTOR"

Only tools overrate that game.

ME is 1 million times better than KOTOR.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Nice writeup, Freelance.

I felt that while Mass Effect did have a lot going for it in the production value department, it didn't as a whole live up to its potential because none of its constituent parts stood out enough in quality to rise above the "blah" factor for me.

Its story, while attempting to be grand, was merely contrived and quite predictable.

Its combat was either ridiculously easy or self-eyeball-gougingly impossible. Nothing in between.

Its graphics and sound were pleasing, yet flawed enough to disappoint.

Actually, the thing I liked best about this game was its romance possibilities, and I'm not a RPG-romance kinda guy. The thought of hot blue alien sex was... motivating, at least for a while.

Crispy said:
I felt that while Mass Effect did have a lot going for it in the production value department, it didn't as a whole live up to its potential because none of its constituent parts stood out enough in quality to rise above the "blah" factor for me.

Sigh, yeah, I don't know why but "unrealized potential" is like the CRPG industry motto at the moment. I'm not hating on NWN2, MOTB or Mass Effect, I did in fact enjoy all of those games (hell I even enjoyed Oblivion for what it was and am not ashamed to say it :D ). But, they could be *better*, unless I am just a clueless n00b who doesn't really understand how games are designed...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom