Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guys, seriously

MetalCraze

Arcane
Grey Wardens? Is that medieval for SPECTRE?
Because it really gives me some freaking deja vu

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
They fucked up the Spectre part in Mass Effect because you become one literally within the first hours of the game. There's no sense of accomplishment or power. You should've played half the game as a normal guy, doing things the hard way, having to listen to superiors etc. Then suddendly, when you become a Spectre, all the doors are open for you and you can tell people to fuck themselves.

But no.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Kingston said:
They fucked up the Spectre part in Mass Effect because you become one literally within the first hours of the game. There's no sense of accomplishment or power. You should've played half the game as a normal guy, doing things the hard way, having to listen to superiors etc. Then suddendly, when you become a Spectre, all the doors are open for you and you can tell people to fuck themselves.

Actually, i think entire NWN series(both by Bioware and Obsidian) were fucked up this way. No sense of accomplishment was present. if you are going to advance to 20th level, it must take a lot of time and a lot of effort, just like in BG, where you achieve level 17th iirc in ToB only after two very long games. It was a total fail in NWN when you become level 20 after few dungeons and a dozen game hours and then save the world without any effort. NWN2 was even worse. I didn't got to play Mask of the Betrayer further than 1-2 hours due to being distracted by King's Bounty, but ascending to lvl20 only to fight lvl 20 spiritual badger was very disappointing.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Nice idea there probably would have made being a Spectre more appealing.

But i am guessing it echos back to Kotor remember you were a regular guy then regardless of profession ended up a Jedi by the end of the game.
Maybe they decided to cut out that build up.
Your character is supposed to be a veteran warrior already when ME begins so just going straight to Spectre status didn't require a build up.

At least that is what i think they were going for plus ME was on the console first maybe they believed people didn't want to wait until the late part of the game to be Spectre.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"but what's this business with vignettes?"

They said the vignettes would be a meaningful part of the game long term. They end up being no mor than a couple of minutes of boring gameplay.

" Oh and what did this have to do with the game in question?"

My point was that just because a devloper (in this case BIO) claims that the origins will do x, y, and z; doesn't mean it ultimately will. It's call holding back on my expectations in case the origins aren't quite as cool as I think.

"I do recall you disproving of the ridiculous shoulderpads though. That wasn't irrelevant but the sword is?"

They're both irrelevant. Neither one will effect how much I enjoy the game in the end. They sword may be ridiculous but it simply doesn't bother me.

Mareus

Magister
I can live with big shoulder pads and huge swords. This is fantasy after all and this is too trivial to spoil the game for me. I think the writing is good and it also won't spoil my fun. C&C is decent and I don't mind the false choices if they are done good and if they are anything like BG, I won't complain. The thing I am most disappointed so far though are the battles which look more like NWN2 than BG. I am also worried how the character progression will turn out since there is far less classes than in D&D game.

Still this game looks far better than anything else I have seen in the last few years.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
SUCK-O-METER

- dont even think about saying franchise before you fail
// wtf do they wnat to achieve by saying that they plan to continue? just stfu

- face animations, eyes especially
// i hope you can always play zoomed out, in nwn you could disable the closeup talking...

- cinematic dialog crap which fails epic(ly?) because the pc stands around mute, combination of closeups and no voiceover dont work
// bg hat text for you and the responces were long, sometimes more then 2 lines! HOLY SHIT -.- ! They were often even really fun to read...

- shoulderpads and bigass swords as singlehanded weapons (jap-crap)
// fuck you, 16.9ers

- joining gay wardens is obligatory
// and it seems its not a choise for like 20 min of the game, plus its is a non-existent choise, in f1 you dont need to join no fucking brotherhood, in bg2 you could choose between thiefs and vampires...

- fake dialog choises
// atleast the bg dialogs were fun

- hero, tyrant, martyr as alignment? which will probably affect... nothing...
// seems like dumbed down dnd which had pretty nice 9 aligments

- no multiplayer, dm, nothing
// worldbuilder -.- , so maybe i can play 1 decent mod in the see of utter crap

- no physics, no ragdoll
// eh... wrong forum? =P

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ combat
// seems like it has some tactics... wow.. how low can you go with your expectaitions..

+ spiritual successor to bg
// atleast they try...

+ some premise on consequences
// they say that the prisoner quest has consequences for killing him or feeding him or stuff... but it is a crappy sidequest.. the mainquest will probably set in stone which is alright

+ gfx
// seems ok

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
+Somehow I have a feeling that these different Origins will only present themselves as small sections in conversations. There's a small portion of the dialogue that will change according to your 'origin', while the rest remains the same. I hope I'm wrong.

You're not. This is Bioware we're talking about.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"hero, tyrant, martyr as alignment?"

u iz n idiotz

Those aren't alignments. Dumbass.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mareus said:
...I am also worried how the character progression will turn out since there is far less classes than in D&D game.
D&D has too many classes. The less classess, I think, the better, moar difference, etc...

ushdugery

Scholar
Does anyone else find reading volourn's post's almost as painful as eating glass? Maybe I should get a poll going.

Brother None said:
Ahaha, the usual BioWare stuff. I don't agree that the dialogue is badly written, but it's the usual "false choices" nonsense.

Note in the first video, when the narrator notes "this is your story, and as you can see you have a wide variety of dialogue options"

Options:
1. What do you need me to do?
2. What do you mean? What ritual?
3. A hot meal might be nice, first.

The PC picks option 3, and the dude proceeds to make a remark about it ("I agree, we have until nightfall to begin the ritual") before simply pretending the PC picked dialogue option 2 and explaining what the ritual is.

Hey, BioWare, you bunch of goddamn assclowns, it's not a dialogue option if it leads to exactly the same dialogue.

That`s the disadvantage when you design your games like movies.
For every choice you implement in your game you have to make a new movie! With 5 choices that`s like 5 different movies with fancy lipsync, facial animations and the other stuff like portraying the consequences. So the only reasonable stuff to do is to loop the player back on the railroad, so they don`t have to show the consequence throughout the game by making tons of new cutscenes There`s a part from the DragonAge movie where you can see, what i mean. If you choose to kill that prisoner in the cage, the custom made animation kicks in. So you killed him, what are the consequences? Nothing, you`ll be still be a grey warden, you`ll always be a Grey Warden except when Bioware wants you not to be a Grey Warden. Of course you aren`t allowed to kill people which will be later importent for the "movie". Cut that movie shit, it`s destroying roleplaying.

Warden

Arbiter
BethesdaLove said:
// worldbuilder -.- , so maybe i can play 1 decent mod in the see of utter crap

Hehehe... no.
With their fabulous "worldbuilder" you can't even create a simple area from scratch.. not to mention building worlds.. :?
You have to use THEIR pre-made areas - to add dialogues, creatures and placeables aand, that's it. I know.. horrible. Why would they release such a thing I don't know.. although the biowhore phorum is apparently in ecstasy over this piece of crap.

Kingston

Arcane
Warden said:
Hehehe... no.
With their fabulous "worldbuilder" you can't even create a simple area from scratch.. not to mention building worlds.. :?
You have to use THEIR pre-made areas - to add dialogues, creatures and placeables aand, that's it. I know.. horrible. Why would they release such a thing I don't know.. although the biowhore phorum is apparently in ecstasy over this piece of crap.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? I can understand if they don't have a toolset around creating areas, as in they make the areas in a 3d program and export them into the game, but if they are preventing players from doing the same then that's just faggotry.

Oh what the fuck.

Well typically this stuff is all just filler dialogue and voices and such. Look at how different Mass Effect ended up than from the story videos they showed.

Kingston

Arcane
Warden said:
They just said they didn't use that toolset to create areas. But they used some kind of toolset to create them.. right?

Like I just said, they most probably used a 3d modelling program to model and texture the areas, and then imported them into the game, like e.g. STALKER. If they did it this way, I don't see any reason to prevent people from doing the same.

Meh, if they can truly make a spiritual successor to BG2 then they can fill it with as much rail-roaded dialogue as they like. Alternate factions, side-quests that - shock-horror in Bioware game!!!! - actually have consequences (i.e. the factions you help send forces to help you on the 3rd and last time you fight Bodhi. Minor consequence yes, but great flavour-wise when you march in with the paladins and the shadow-thieves suddenly come out of stealth and start back-stabbing the vampires), more optional quests than you can throw a nuke at, different side-quests depending on which party members you choose, and 2 great villains that grow stronger (plot-wise, not just through retarded level-scaling) as you do and who you fight about 7 times (between them) over the game rather than waiting idle for you to come kill the big bad boss at the end of the game.

Of course I have zero faith in that occurring. Just pointing out that if all of Bioware's games were up to BG2's standard they'd STILL suck at C+C, and STILL have railroaded dialogues, but they'd be a producer of fine mainstream rpgs nonetheless.

made

Arcane
Kingston said:
They fucked up the Spectre part in Mass Effect because you become one literally within the first hours of the game. There's no sense of accomplishment or power. You should've played half the game as a normal guy, doing things the hard way, having to listen to superiors etc.

IIRC, they wanted the player to feel powerful and important right from the start, without going the traditional RPG way of having to prove one's mettle first by grinding millions of spacerats. No idea if it worked out as planned; haven't played the game.

Inziladun

Magister
made said:
Kingston said:
They fucked up the Spectre part in Mass Effect because you become one literally within the first hours of the game. There's no sense of accomplishment or power. You should've played half the game as a normal guy, doing things the hard way, having to listen to superiors etc.

IIRC, they wanted the player to feel powerful and important right from the start, without going the traditional RPG way of having to prove one's mettle first by grinding millions of spacerats. No idea if it worked out as planned; haven't played the game.

I doubt it.

They build up the Spectres as these fabled super agents from the first 5 minutes in the game. And then after an hour or so of playing you talk to the council and they're like "No wai one of our spectres could be crooked, dey supposed to be neutral, der... "
"But we have Evidence to the contrary..."
"We don't believe you, but we're going to make you a spectre (in front of this huge crowd) so you can look into the matter, kk?"

The whole image of Spectres was pretty ruined from there on out. Especially because they were painted out as to have countless ties in both political and practical matters and the very few examples of where your Spectre status was mentioned was laughable and could of been handled in the standard Bioware way (IE: "The docking fee is 500 credits" followed by an option to threaten or persuade yourself out of the fee.)

I must admit though, that interview was pretty interesting. Something I've never seen in a game before. Even though the concept of a news broadcast interviewing a top secret agent is retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom