Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guys, seriously

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Seriously guys.

When you make an RPG, DON'T MAKE THE DIALOGUE RETARDED.

+The prince's sword is bigger than the Prince himself.
+Somehow I have a feeling that these different Origins will only present themselves as small sections in conversations. There's a small portion of the dialogue that will change according to your 'origin', while the rest remains the same. I hope I'm wrong. Having NPCs talk completely differently to different races would be good.

Zomg

Arbiter
Dialog bothers me a lot less than the two hundred pound swords and pauldrons. Fucking WoW, I spit at theeeeeeeeee

Pastel

Scholar
Why would a cut-throat risk want to risk his life by becoming a Gray Warden? But in a previous video it seemed that you didn't have a choice in the matter - you are forced to become a Warden. Shit.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Is it just me, or does this look worse than Mass Effect? Setting-wise and even dialog-wise it looks worse, and the jury's still out on combat.

Kingston

Arcane
Pastel said:
Why would a cut-throat risk want to risk his life by becoming a Gray Warden? But in a previous video it seemed that you didn't have a choice in the matter - you are forced to become a Warden. Shit.

In the second video the guy who is talking says that your origin and the choices you make in your origin chapter will affect the reasons that you join the Grey Wardens for. That's still some serious railroading, but at least they are trying to make it flow better.

The reasons will probably be along the lines of "Oh shit, I set the Blight loose in my town. Everyone dead, must avenge..."

Is it just me, or does this look worse than Mass Effect? Setting-wise and even dialog-wise it looks worse, and the jury's still out on combat.

I'm pretty sure it'll be better than ME.

Oh and the cutsceney dialogue is annoying. Especially when you've established this whole cinematic idea in ME not having your character talk in cutscenes is weird. I'd much rather the camera stayed up, it would increase my precious immersion.

Zomg

Arbiter
We need to break down some of the naivete about railroading 'round here. That shit is as enervated as the ol' undiluted "player skills" bullshit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Somehow I have a feeling that these different Origins will only present themselves as small sections in conversations. There's a small portion of the dialogue that will change according to your 'origin', while the rest remains the same. I hope I'm wrong. Having NPCs talk completely differently to different races would be good.
_________________"

You are an idiot. And, even true, it still beats the shitty TOEE 'vignettes'. L0L Unless BIO lies like Troika did.

R00fles!

Kingston

Arcane
Volourn said:
"Somehow I have a feeling that these different Origins will only present themselves as small sections in conversations. There's a small portion of the dialogue that will change according to your 'origin', while the rest remains the same. I hope I'm wrong. Having NPCs talk completely differently to different races would be good.
_________________"

You are an idiot. And, even true, it still beats the shitty TOEE 'vignettes'. L0L Unless BIO lies like Troika did.

R00fles!

Unless BIO lies like Troika? Failed flamebait as I don't really give a shit.

I know there are Origin chapters and all that, but will this origin idea properly carry on in dialogues and the rest of the game? Will it just be a slight nod "oh yea you come from that country" or will it be a significant gameplay element?

Do you think that the dialogue shown in DA thusfar has been good? Do you approve of six-foot swords?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ahaha, the usual BioWare stuff. I don't agree that the dialogue is badly written, but it's the usual "false choices" nonsense.

Note in the first video, when the narrator notes "this is your story, and as you can see you have a wide variety of dialogue options"

Options:
1. What do you need me to do?
2. What do you mean? What ritual?
3. A hot meal might be nice, first.

The PC picks option 3, and the dude proceeds to make a remark about it ("I agree, we have until nightfall to begin the ritual") before simply pretending the PC picked dialogue option 2 and explaining what the ritual is.

Hey, BioWare, you bunch of goddamn assclowns, it's not a dialogue option if it leads to exactly the same dialogue.

Duncan you will be fighting with us?
Glorius!

The English accent guy seems totally out of place and wimpy compared to everyone else

He seems more like a Harry Potter type and the others are Lord of the Rings types

I know its possible that he has a different voice, maybe its the poor quality of the voice acting that makes him stick out

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
But guys, it's still in development! Who knows how much the animation quality could change before it comes out! You can't judge it until you've played through it 3 times.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Unless BIO lies like Troika? Failed flamebait as I don't really give a shit."

You do hence your response. And, yeah, Troika lied about TOEE vignettes amongst other stuff.

"I know there are Origin chapters and all that, but will this origin idea properly carry on in dialogues and the rest of the game? Will it just be a slight nod "oh yea you come from that country" or will it be a significant gameplay element?"

You are dumb. The origins are all several hours long, and they have far reaching effects. People will react different down the road depending on your origin and how you played your character during the origin. You may even up with your own antagonist solely based on your origin and your actions within. It certainly will be vastly sueprior TOEE's joke of a vignette 9as well as other games most likely that had vignette like things.

"Do you think that the dialogue shown in DA thusfar has been good?"

Yup. No better or worse than BIO dialogue ever is. That's good or bad depending how much you like or dislike BIO. *shrug*

" Do you approve of six-foot swords?"

No; but I don't disprove of it either. It's fantasy, and sword size is irrelevant to my enjoyment of a game. perhaps you suffer from penis envy? R00fles!

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
"If I can make a player cry, that's awesome. I'm sure whoever wrote Aeris dying in Final Fantasy VII sat around chuckling thinking about all the people who will cry. "

i dunno he still sounds like the perfect man for warden.

Monolith

Prophet
Generic, LotR copy-cat bullshit with terrible writing, jRPG styled armor/weaponry and BioWare's indispensable railroading. That's my initial reaction. So much potential and from the looks of it, all thrown out of the window. I'm waiting for David Gaider to chime in. He's got a lot to explain.

Kingston

Arcane
Volourn said:
"Unless BIO lies like Troika? Failed flamebait as I don't really give a shit."

You do hence your response. And, yeah, Troika lied about TOEE vignettes amongst other stuff.

I know they pulled some dodgy shit with the patches on VTMB, but what's this business with vignettes? Oh and what did this have to do with the game in question?

Volourn said:
"I know there are Origin chapters and all that, but will this origin idea properly carry on in dialogues and the rest of the game? Will it just be a slight nod "oh yea you come from that country" or will it be a significant gameplay element?"

You are dumb. The origins are all several hours long, and they have far reaching effects. People will react different down the road depending on your origin and how you played your character during the origin. You may even up with your own antagonist solely based on your origin and your actions within. It certainly will be vastly sueprior TOEE's joke of a vignette 9as well as other games most likely that had vignette like things.

Well that all sounds nice, but I will remain skeptical. Bioware hasn't pulled this off before, and the videos shown so far make it look as if it plays exactly the same as all Bio games. Now, like I said, this "react differently" could just be a small segment of dialogue that changes according to your origin. Like we saw in the video, the prince said something like "ah you are from the hills of blahblah." If you are instead a dwarf will he say "Ahh, you come from the mountains of blahblah" and revert back to the same dialogue as before or will the entire conversation change? From Bioware, I expect the first option. As for the primary antagonist, I hope they aren't just drawing it from a pool of villains that you'll end up fighting anyway, just in a different order depending on your origin. Hopefully your antagonist from one origin will be your ally in another.

Volourn said:
"Do you think that the dialogue shown in DA thusfar has been good?"

Yup. No better or worse than BIO dialogue ever is. That's good or bad depending how much you like or dislike BIO. *shrug*

Fair enough.

Volourn said:
Do you approve of six-foot swords?"

No; but I don't disprove of it either. It's fantasy, and sword size is irrelevant to my enjoyment of a game. perhaps you suffer from penis envy? R00fles!

I do recall you disproving of the ridiculous shoulderpads though. That wasn't irrelevant but the sword is?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Kingston said:
In the second video the guy who is talking says that your origin and the choices you make in your origin chapter will affect the reasons that you join the Grey Wardens for.
So just as i feared, joining Gay Wardens is mandatory. Damn, my interst in this game is dissappearing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom