Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guys, seriously

DiverNB

Liturgist
Not cool, I clicked on this topic and was like "please don't be about dragon age" and sure enough, it's about dragon age.

Weak sauce.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
When he said "As you can see, this is a world you'll be dying to explore!" after showcasing the shitty dialog and cliche plot, I laughed for something like a minute. Oh, Bioware.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'm just going to ignore all the warning signs and stick my head in the sand. Dragon age is going to be great, GREAT! I tell you! Even better than Baldur's Gate 2!

dagorkan

Arbiter
I like how Bioware dialog 'variety' has one response phrased three different ways:

1/ The obvious goody-two shoes response (which turns out to be the most profitable, nine times out of ten)
2/ The anti-social asshole response
3/ Batshit insane one, which nobody will ever choose on the first playthrough

Real creativity there

xuerebx

Erudite
I hope the game will be decent, looks quite good from what I've seen.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I was actually interested in DA after seeing the isometric tactical battles they showed at E3. But if I have to sit through these interminable, horribly-acted, jrpg-like cutscenes to get to the tactics, it's just not worth it at all.

Mareus

Magister
The battles are really far from the quality of BG. Watch the demo part 4 and you will see how your swords go straight through enemies. You will see an arrow stuck right through your companion's head (why even animate the arrow if it's going to look retarded?), and the AI is horrible. Your companions run straight through the fire, and some warrior talents remind me on WoW. The battle comments are retarded too. The electricity magic is a light show... I mean why do they keep insisting on these retarded magical effects that cover the whole screen (I didn't like it in MotB either):

http://static.computergames.ro/cg/assas ... yer108.jpg

Those are my only complaints about this game. The rest looks ok.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Mareus said:
The battles are really far from the quality of BG. Watch the demo part 4 and you will see how your swords go straight through enemies. You will see an arrow stuck right through your companion's head (why even animate the arrow if it's going to look retarded?), and the AI is horrible. Your companions run straight through the fire, and some warrior talents remind me on WoW.

Come now, BG had bad AI too, plus its combat animations weren't exactly stellar. Not to mention the 'awesome' pathfinding. If DA's combat isn't as good as BG's (and that remains to be seen) it will be for entirely different reasons (balancing, control responsiveness and so on).

Mareus said:
The electricity magic is a light show... I mean why do they keep insisting on these retarded magical effects that cover the whole screen (I didn't like it in MotB either):

http://static.computergames.ro/cg/assas ... yer108.jpg

Those are my only complaints about this game. The rest looks ok.

Can't argue with this though. It would be nice of them to cut down on 'teh awesome particle fx' a bit.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
I dunno, when the caster was cut off from the rest of the group by a few meters all the enemies charged into the big group, not the lone caster. Unless someone used a taunt skill, but I don't think they did. Ehue.

Its all a bit too DnD. You've got a whole world to create, whole new mechanics, and yet you find the same old spells and items. But hey, if it really is on par with BGs (which I very much doubt), I won't complain.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It will be easily better than BG1. BG2 is a harder dragon to slay; but one thing it should crush BG2 in is role-playing. And, graphics, of course, but that's unfair. Everything else is a maybe.

Ausir

Arcane
From what I've heard, it has more dialogues than Planescape: Torment, all fully voiced. Quantity does not equal quality, though, but I still appreciate the effort.

Mareus

Magister
fastpunk said:
Come now, BG had bad AI too, plus its combat animations weren't exactly stellar. Not to mention the 'awesome' pathfinding. If DA's combat isn't as good as BG's (and that remains to be seen) it will be for entirely different reasons (balancing, control responsiveness and so on).

I never seen my characters running into flames in BG, unless I told them to do so. The pathfinding was a minor problem, but I don't remember ever happening in battles. I agree we have to feel DA in action, but so far it doesn't look any better than NWN2. In some cases it looked even worse, since in NWN2 you at least have dodge animation. Also in NWN2 your mage will be attacked, while in DA you could see how enemies ran right pass the mage and gathered all in one place hitting at your warriors. That doesn't look promising to me. I can only hope they will fix those things.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Combat animations in BG were very simple but since camera was hovering 50 m above ground and since the game looked much more intense and dynamic, you don't pay such attention to details. And in BG your sword hits felt like they hit something. In DA they go straight through enemies and companions. Animations are also kinda slow.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I never seen my characters running into flames in BG,"

Play with AI on dumb ass.

P.S. Who is to say that the npcs in the DA videos were AI controlled? Mayhaps it was the player who made that decision. R00fles!

Mareus

Magister
Volourn said:
"I never seen my characters running into flames in BG,"

Play with AI on dumb ass.

P.S. Who is to say that the npcs in the DA videos were AI controlled? Mayhaps it was the player who made that decision. R00fles!
Never played BG with AI off and you see who is the player controlling by the circle under their feet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom