Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars or WOW?

LlamaGod

Cipher
Go get Dark Age of Camelot and the Catacombs expansion and it's perfect for you.

Drakron

Arcane
Well WoW have druid, priest and shaman classes.
GW have monk.

Surlent

Liturgist
Monks in Gw are pretty needed from middle to end parts of the game. Generally it's useful to have one around. At late missions people take at least 2 monks in party (when max party size is 8). Farmers used to (and still might) love monk's offensive smiting abilities which made some pretty good builds, but generally a lot of monks go with healing and protection.

Priests in WoW are wanted in instanced missions in similar fashion. Druids and Shammys are okay healers, but from what i have heard priests still have the best healing abilities. Outside instances people can solo pretty much, so they aren't that vital. Dunno how easy it's solo as priest since i haven't played the class. All 3 classes have more or less offensive abilities, so they aren't helpless on their own.

I guess it goes without saying it's easy to find groups when you are healer in both games.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
You can't PVE without a monk, much less PVP.

In WoW, you can. In the later areas, you'll need either a priest, a shaman, or a druid, so you've got quite a bit of choice.

Drakron

Arcane
Surlent said:
I have been playing WoW for few weeks now (35lv ud mage) and GW I played for few months. I agree with sol WoW has many things better like exploration. I play on pvp server, they aren't imbalanced per se but there are people on the enemy side who gang up on you when they are 10++ levels higher but this doesn't happen everytime where I play (English EU servers).

I play on a RPG server so that is not a issue.

WoW is nothing but huge grind, a long one, the quests are fed ex or kill certain monster. GW has little story progression and every mission is instanced. In WoW there are voluntary instanced missions too where you can go with groups and like already said in this thread, they take good amount of time to compete. Forming random group in gw is lot easier than in WoW.

GW is also grind, no level grind but instance grind since you end up finding little to do and just want to move on ... just to find as you progress it gets worst.

WoW have grind but at least is something to do, GW does not have grind (well unless you want collectors items, THEN you have grind) but then you dont have nothing to do.

As for the quests they are the same in GW and WoW (taking away a "overhear conversation" in GW that does not require anything but being nearby).

As for the GW missions ... they are a huge pain to get a group if you are not one of the holy trinity classes (Fighter/Elementarist/Monk) and as you can get along in WoW without doing Dungeons its not possible in GW since the quests are few.

A grip I have is GW really reminds me of Diablo in maps, you have to fight hordes of creates to go from point a to point b as WoW allows (relative) safe roads so you dont spend 20 minutes fighting your way to the next town.

GW seems more team based than WoW unless you constantly play with some one you know. You do mostly everything in gw in team whether hench or players. In WoW you can solo a lot of the quests if you want to. Because of it, I think gw puts heavier emphasis on teamwork. Granted there are quests especially those instances are hard to solo, but it might be just lower levels in WoW, people in gw just seem more tightly knit in team and the computer automatically shares loot between players.

By sharing you mean it decides what a player gets then you are right, too bad enemies end up having only 1 or 2 objects that have to be split over 8 players.

And the reason people "team up" is because the missions make up most of the game, people have no choice since henchman AI leaves a lot to desire, they also tend to be underleveled and have a poor choice of skills.

In WoW there is no such stress since most quests are set outside dungeons but that does not mean people dont team up.

Both communities have a lot of people so you can find both good and bad company there. Generally Blizzard games tend to attract idiots for some reason, even on EU servers, yet I have managed to encouter reasonable folks there.

Well remenber GW have its share of problems, like people that join up, get a elite skill and then quit.

Yes, there are idiots in both but I suspect the ratio is the same.

Hard to say if WoW is still worth a monthly fee when you can get almost equavalent game (gw) without monthly payment. Tough call. People say the mothly fee goes to maintain server cost, but on populated servers you get lag in peak times and need to wait in queie to get to the server.

GW is not even the "almost", its a distant.

GW does have the potencial to be great but they need to alter and add new things, the biggest issue with GW is that AFTER you completed Ring of Fire missions there is NOTHING to do unless you PvP.

I moved from GW to WoW because GW lacks content.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
AYe that's the good thing about WOW. You can play on RP servers and not have to deal with assholes and people who insist that you play a certain style. You can always play an 'unpopular' character style and people will accept you into their groups anyway.

Selenti

Liturgist
" You can always play an 'unpopular' character style and people will accept you into their groups anyway."

The funniest thing I've seen in WoW is people complaining because a rogue was stun-locking mobs in UBRS and Strat and whatnot instead of chain-ambushing and getting herself killed just to eke out MAYBE as much DPS as a hunter.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I don't play MMORPG. because my ISP sucks.

But if i had a good connection and free time for pointless levelling up and just occasional roleplaying, then I would go for WoW, just because I love the setting (yeah, i'm an avid warcrafter).

We have a Wow guild on our forum at Rpgplanet.ru, and I know lots of wowers, and argued with them about the roleplaying value of Wow (and MMORPG sin general). Noone actually agreed that wow is just a "pimp my character" game, they all said that tehre are RP-servers and stuff like that, but still I'm kinda sceptical about it. This whole thing about multiple servers just kinda looks as a bad concept to me. I actually consider MMORPG a *POTENTIALLY* best of CRPG genre, because all the players are human and it is really a great environment for RP. But I always dreamed it as a seamless world where *ALL* the characters are real people. It forms a chaos at first, but then the people themselves make political formations, set rules etc etc. But I've never seen that concept worked and even implemented in any MMORPG.

LlamaGod

Cipher
DAoC has Friars, Shamans, and Druids, wakka wakka. There is also the Heretic which is like an evil priest (has buffs and heals, but also get damage spells in the healing line and combat oriented buffs). They can also train in weapons and shields and wear cloth robes. They are probably one of the more interesting MMORPG classes.

Selenti

Liturgist
angler said:
Well, once I get a new graphics card I guess I'm going for WoW. With what you guys have said, along with the fact that I really, really like the character designs it just seems like it's going to be really great. I've read up on the official page, read through the rules, and the RP servers are a major selling point for me. I just don't want to deal with idiots who try and ruin the game experience for others (and I know Blizzard can attract alot of them... I've played Starcraft for the past 8 years... those chatrooms are disgusting).

Selenti said:
The funniest thing I've seen in WoW is people complaining because a rogue was stun-locking mobs in UBRS and Strat and whatnot instead of chain-ambushing and getting herself killed just to eke out MAYBE as much DPS as a hunter.

I have no idea what you just said.

It's code.

merry andrew

Erudite
Drakron said:
GW does have the potencial to be great but they need to alter and add new things, the biggest issue with GW is that AFTER you completed Ring of Fire missions there is NOTHING to do unless you PvP.
No way! Your lying! Can't be! There's nothing to do unless you succumb to the main feature of the game?!

:roll:

Zli

Novice
merry andrew said:
Drakron said:
No way! Your lying! Can't be! There's nothing to do unless you succumb to the main feature of the game?!

:roll:
To be fair, they did admit a lack of PvE material after ascension. But a couple of days ago they released a free expansion, Sorrow's furnace I think it's called, which adds amongst other things two new areas for ascended characters and 15 or so new high level quests. And the PvP is as good as ever (well, if you have a decent guild).

Psilon

Erudite
Has anyone checked out the Sorrow's Furnace stuff yet? All I've seen of it so far is the vastly inflated skill prices.

Maybe schedule an outing for Tyranny of Choice?

strongbone

Novice
a question about cheats

My friend was over the other day, and I showed him http://www.exploitsrus.com/gw.html It is a site with cheats, bugs, dupes, etc for guild wars. He told me it was against the rules for gw to do this. Is this true? I am used to cheating on video games for my whole life, so I was sort of shocked to hear this.

Drakron

Arcane
There are no cheats on MMORPGs, they are exploits and who fault is that?

The players that find then or the developers that made then?

So no ... those are not cheats, they are using what its on the game to gain a advantage, kinda like the Monk 105 build, the ranger spirit spawn, air spike and the healing ball ... all perfect legal builds using the rules.

Slaytanic

Educated
I'd cheat in a MMO, use an exploit, w/e just to piss other people off. If I'd would ever cheat I'd do it in an MMO, cause while it's no fun cheating in a single player game it might be worth it to see all those pissed/ gealous/ angry people, hell I think that the baning risk you're taking is worth it even :).

" OMG OMG OMG !!! OMFG !! CHEATER WTF AAAFDHSFIDFHDSIF ILL KILL YOU IN RL MOTHAFCUKA UR DED SHIT GOD DAMN COKSUCKER !! "

Haha good times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom