Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars or WOW?

Chefe

Erudite
hello world

Snuffles

Novice
Guild Wars is more casual and relaxed. In PvE the instances in world of warcraft take a lot longer than most guild wars missions.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Snuffles said:
In PvE the instances in world of warcraft take a lot longer than most guild wars missions.
Holy crap! And I thought the missions in GW were long...

I didn't play WoW, but I really like GW. At least until you're level 13 you can do every mission without logging in for more than 1 hour. I'd be playing it right now if I wasn't busy finishing Bloodlines.

Second Chance

Liturgist
In WoW you have to pay each month
In GW you pay only once

Any other discussion needed?

Elwro

Arcane
angler said:
Are there good servers without 12 year olds, or are they all filled with people who don't know how to type and act like idiots?
Everytime you reach a "public" place (a city, trading outpost etc) you're dumped into a randomly (it would seem) chosen district. (They're just copies of the same area.) You can change it anytime you want, but there's no way to avoid jerks.

I totally forgot the financial factor - I'm more of a casual gamer, so WoW is out of question.

Zli

Novice
I'd say GW. No monthly fees, no level grinding, farming completely optional... If you like PvP you'll really enjoy it, but PvE is also good.

It seemed to me like most of the 12-year-old-oids were at the very beginning and near the end of the storyline (i.e. noobs who don't know how to play, and those who don't know how to play but found someone to run them trough). It's more noticeable when you start, since you'll prolly meet decent players on the way and won't care much near the end.

Of course, it's best if you know the people you play with beforehand.

Slaytanic

Educated
I know you didn't add Eve Online into the question but if I were you I'd take a look at it.

It's a bit different from regular rpgs. And the most important think in it is that you can basicly train offline. So you can play 2 h or less / day and still have a good character just as soon as you'd play 9 h / day .

Drakron

Arcane
Second Chance said:
In WoW you have to pay each month
In GW you pay only once

Any other discussion needed?

Yes.

Guilds Wars does not have a monthly fee but if it did then few people would pay, its a incredible boring game and relies only in PvP for end game.

WoW does have a monthly fee but there are more quests, better support (and I can say that since there was lag problem with WoW they solved in 2 days AND they given 2 free days to everyone as Guild Wars had a lag spike issue they taken about a month to solve) and in my opinion its a lot more fun that Guild Wars.

Zli

Novice
angler said:
It's not jerks that bother me so much as it's people who type like this: "1 n33d gud armer! plz pm m3!" and "go away, n00b. he pk'd me!"

So when you go to a city or something it's a whole 'nother ball game, but what about just travelling around? Or is the screen filled with that junk on all the servers?
When you travel you get your own instance of the world, so once you're out of a town it's only you and your party out there. And servers are not like those in WoW - there are "districts" in towns, which are like servers, but you can switch between them any time you want.

No level grinding in GW? Maybe you could elaborate?
The highest level is 20, and you can reach it in a week or so. The point of playing after that, apart from getting trough the storyline, is to get more skills. Skills in GW are like cards in a CCG, and you can only bring 8 with you while you travel (you choose which while in a town). However, monsters do come higher than 20, so the further you go more important it is to have a good team.

Sure, you can just go out and kill a couple of monsters and get the drops, but since you have your own instance there's no camping or other such MMORPS silliness.

vrok

Liturgist
WoW is a RPG while GW is just a competitive PvP game.

GW isn't even a MMO unless you consider Diablo 2 to be a MMO. The only difference is that in GW you HAVE to play on their battle.net and they've masked the lobby to look like a town. PvE in GW plays exactly like DS2, follow the road, kill boss at end, follow road #2. The PvP is alot better than WoW's stupid battlegrounds though.

WoW on the other hand feels like an immense world, it'd be an understatement to say that this game plays more like a true RPG than any other MMO. While you don't have any true choices in how to solve the quests or respond to NPC's, you do have a choice in what quests to take on and what areas to explore because there are a bunch more quests and areas to complete/explore than you'll need to reach the appropriate level of the next quest areas. Many of these quests have storylines and are worth reading. The only time casual play hinders your character is if you don't have time to do instances when you reach level 60, because there's not much else to do then and before 60 you can skip them if you want. It will still take you ALOT longer to reach cap in WoW than GW though and you'll still have plenty left to explore with other characters if you wish.

There's also RP servers if you'd like to communicate in a ye olde english type of way and maybe have some cyber sex.

Reason to pick GW: good competitive rpg-lite PvP, cheap.
Reason to pick WoW: roleplaying, tons of PvE content, actual storylines, cyber sex.

Elwro

Arcane
vrok said:
Reason to pick WoW: cyber sex.
Well, I've seen some pretty impressive things people could do in towns in GW with proper emotes and clothing. It was quite funny. You successfully return from you UberQuest for Saving the World only to find that while you were gone the other heroes launched a frantic gay orgy in front of the town church.

I dunno, it really sounds like GW is what you're looking for based on your description. Judging from my friends who play WoW, it sounds like it's pretty well grind grind grind. If you're looking to kill 6-18 hours a day for a few months, go for WoW, it will keep you occupied. The ones like that got bored with GW because really there's not that much to keep you occupied past PvP after you've logged in 150 hours with your first character unless you want to start a new one. They're also going to be updating with new 20th level content sometime today, so the jury's still out on how good it is.

A lot of the problems you mentioned are non-existent in GW because overland areas are instanced. Any time you venture out the only humans you'll see are teammates if applicable, no spawn point campers or PKers or whatever, the whole map is yours.

I dunno, it doesn't seem lonely to me. Then again most games I've ever played were single player. You can always group up in a team if you like, from the very start (thought pre-Searing is pretty easy). For the 30 or so main storyline missions it's almost required. You can also chat with guild buddies or friends whenever you want to no matter where everyone actually is. There's also an overland map feature, so you don't have to physically run from city to city like in WoW (ugh). So really your dead time is pretty minimal, if you're outside of a city it's pretty much to kill stuff, do a mission, and/or explore. There's not really time to get lonely.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Guild wars sucks so much ass it's not even funny. I hate that I bought two fucking copies of it so I could play with a friend.

Mob aggro range doesn't reduce the higher the level disparity you have so no matter what you do you have to fight certain mobs. The instancing thing sucks in that regard because if you step out of the zone by accident or go into the wrong zone and have to backtrack you've got to fight everything again.

There's no jumping and the level layout is retarded. Oh hey, look, 4 feet below me is where I need to be....UGH UGH UGH UGH, guess I got to run around for 20 minutes now. People who base their decision on a game on whether or not they have to pay a monthly fee clearly aren't taking quality into the equation.

I've been playing WoW since February and I even survived through the HUGE PLAYER REVOLT where a hundred people said they were quitting and WoW's membership rose anyways.

It can be rather annyoing at times, but yeah, you can run from baddies, especially with running skills. Again, there's not a whole lot of reason to run out into areas with enemies far below your level, though, because you can just map out to any city you've already visited. You don't really have to trundle through anything once you've been somewhere once.The maps and quests are generally appropriate for your level when you get there assuming you didn't xp farm compulsively. The xp and gold farming habit seems to be the hardest one to break from WoW players I see who play GW. They can't quite grasp the concept of a low grind game. Money really isn't a huge issue, you can afford what you need just through normal play.

I think the bottom line is GW is more for the casual gamer, WoW is for the hardcore MMORPGer. I had lots of fun with GW and think I got my money's worth, then I put it down for a while and got on with real life, other games, these contraptions they call books, etc. I'll probably pick it up again to try out the new content, then I'll most likely go do other stuff for a while. I have friends who've played WoW compulsively since December and still do, even though they still bitch about all its "problems" every time I see them but I'm assuming they still eat it up since they keep playing. I prefer a game to a long term commitment, though, so I've avoided taking the plunge.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
There's no level grinding in GW, but then there's skill grinding and that totally sucks. There's not much to do after you finish the PVE either, unless you enjoy competitive PVP. But then, everyone's running the same build, so what's the point? I'd stick to BF2 for competitive gaming.

You can't run away from baddies. They slow you down and do all sorts of annoying shit. Since the game is instanced you have to kill them to get past them. There's no two ways about it.

WOW's got slightly better value for money, to be honest. If you're willing to pay the 15 per month, go for it. The quality of the overall game is better, and there's longevity in playing WOW - simply put, there's a lot of stuff to do. Unfortunately, the PVP is crappy and imbalanced (stick to the PVE servers) and the endgame instances really suck because they force you to play a certain style, or nobody's going to accept you into their party.

I'm not basing my decision on monthly fees, but being a casual player not having to continually pay for a subscription to keep my character would be nice.
Go for WOW. You'll probably take 6+ months before you ever get to the 'annoying' part of the game. GW runs out of steam after a couple of weeks, unless you like the PVP and have a good guild to play with. No guild, no gameplay.

It's fair to mention a couple of weeks in your case means close to 16 hours per day IIRC, though. :lol:

GW didn't really run out of steam for me until I had tried and beaten it with all the classes, though. Well, then trying a primary monk after that and dealing with the abuse. :P

That all took quite a bit longer, though not as long as with my first character since I already knew everything and had a bundle of leftover money. I'm probably still going to try to run through with an e/me at some point since I never had a primary ele or a spellcaster memser (n/e and r/me were the closest I got). 300+ hours before it starts to get old isn't a bad deal for $50 IMO. Guess it all depends on how you look at it. Mainly I just don't like monthly fees and am a bit leery of getting sucked into WoW like some of my friends.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, WoW's one of those things that chews you up and spits you out a year later when you're nothing more than a shell of your former self. I'm sticking to single player RPGs for the time being, with DS2 taking up most of my time.

Of course, I've got plenty of time for BF2.

Surlent

Liturgist
Sol Invictus said:
WOW's got slightly better value for money, to be honest. If you're willing to pay the 15 per month, go for it. The quality of the overall game is better, and there's longevity in playing WOW - simply put, there's a lot of stuff to do. Unfortunately, the PVP is crappy and imbalanced (stick to the PVE servers) and the endgame instances really suck because they force you to play a certain style, or nobody's going to accept you into their party.
I have been playing WoW for few weeks now (35lv ud mage) and GW I played for few months. I agree with sol WoW has many things better like exploration. I play on pvp server, they aren't imbalanced per se but there are people on the enemy side who gang up on you when they are 10++ levels higher but this doesn't happen everytime where I play (English EU servers).

WoW is nothing but huge grind, a long one, the quests are fed ex or kill certain monster. GW has little story progression and every mission is instanced. In WoW there are voluntary instanced missions too where you can go with groups and like already said in this thread, they take good amount of time to compete. Forming random group in gw is lot easier than in WoW.

GW seems more team based than WoW unless you constantly play with some one you know. You do mostly everything in gw in team whether hench or players. In WoW you can solo a lot of the quests if you want to. Because of it, I think gw puts heavier emphasis on teamwork. Granted there are quests especially those instances are hard to solo, but it might be just lower levels in WoW, people in gw just seem more tightly knit in team and the computer automatically shares loot between players.

Both communities have a lot of people so you can find both good and bad company there. Generally Blizzard games tend to attract idiots for some reason, even on EU servers, yet I have managed to encouter reasonable folks there.

Hard to say if WoW is still worth a monthly fee when you can get almost equavalent game (gw) without monthly payment. Tough call. People say the mothly fee goes to maintain server cost, but on populated servers you get lag in peak times and need to wait in queie to get to the server.

Tiliqua

Liturgist
Why limit yourself to WOW or GW, it's like asking who was better, Hitler or Stalin. Eve is the best mmo around imo, http://www.eve-online.com/ Try the 2 wk free trial and decide for yourself.

Btw mmos tend to suck time out of you regardless of your initial intentions, it's hard not to play all the time if you love the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom