Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars or WOW?

Sancho Panza

Novice
On a serious note, I bought both games (Guild Wars first) when I became disgusted with the SWG "combat upgrade"

SWG was my first and only mmorpg, and I loved it, had good friends, and was an accomplished weaponsmith. However, even before the infamous CU, it had begun to pall, so I quit and after a few months of floating around, had to pick a new game.

It was a tough choice,between GW and WOW, and in the end the free-ness of GW won out so I bought it. It was surprising to me how un-fun it was right off the bat. Everything being an instance really killed the joy mainly. You cant really meet people in the over-crowded towns very well, and as soon as you step out of the town you are literally on your own - in an instance. I spent the whole week or two playing with NPC party members.

Granted, I quit playing before I reached 20, I was lvl 12 or so, so it may be better further along.

SO began a month of kicking myself and wishing I had gotten WOW. Finally, I had some extra cash, and managed to rationalize two big $50 game purchases in 2 months to myself and my wife and bought WOW. I have been happy ever since!

Unlimited number of characters, RP servers (with more mature players) and so many quests, I can play with or without friends, and -gasp- I can just meet someone along in the middle of a non-instanced quest and team up. It truly is the best all-around mmorpg out there.

In addition, with the huge amount of abilities learned over time, the grinding is sorta fun. Also, with the talent trees, character customization is better then most RPG games, thought admittedly, the character graphics are not quite so customizeable, one of my gripes.

merry andrew

Erudite
Zli said:
To be fair, they did admit a lack of PvE material after ascension.
Yeah, I know. I just don't see why people are surprised or disappointed by it, considering that they announced before release how they wanted everyone to hurry up and reach the max level so that they could do PvP.

Psilon said:
Has anyone checked out the Sorrow's Furnace stuff yet? All I've seen of it so far is the vastly inflated skill prices.

Maybe schedule an outing for Tyranny of Choice?

I've been on fairly regularly since the update messing around with a new character and exploring Sorrow's Furnace with my w/mo. Some of the new quests are rather funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom