Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It took me around 30 minutes to turn my whole team into Olympic swimmers, another question what the purpose of spirit statistic and how to restore it?
If your Spirit runs out, characters may be too discouraged to act during combat. You can restore it by resting at a safe haven, or by using the Bless spell (doesn't work on some characters, e.g. Necromancers).

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
It took me around 30 minutes to turn my whole team into Olympic swimmers, another question what the purpose of spirit statistic and how to restore it?
The Spirit bar is normally 100%. If your character fails to save vs. fear at monsters who have a capacity to terrify you in the first round of the encounter, your spirit bar will begin dropping in response to further terror. Until you restore the Spirit bar with a spell or by resting at a safe haven, your character will be permanently terrified as his Spirit Bar drops every encounter save vs. fear until all he can do in combat is curl into a fetal position.

This is one of the coolest things I added to V2.0 to get rid of the FOO bar. It's related to your character's fortitude, their will and their general exposure to terrifying creatures.

Every successive time you meet the monster who originally terrified your party, you will begin to get accustomed to that encounter and it stands less and less a chance of frightening you into trembling withdrawal.

The math was well tested on this feature and I think it works pretty well both for first encounter and subsequent encounters. I also believe it is challenging until you learn how to cope with a terrified character but there are enough options there to deal with it easily throughout the game. However, just leaving them terrified will increasingly contribute to them being useless in any battle. I thought the game mechanics behind this came close to simulate RPG PTSD shellshock. :)

Later in the game as the characters progress in levels it will become less and less a concern, it is of most danger to level one newbs who have never seen a spectral wraith or similar terror before. I like this feature so much I am going to try to put it into every blobber from now on no matter what the genre.

If you discover a safe haven on the map it will be marked as such and that is a location you can return to and restore the character's reserve by sleeping at that cell.

Last edited:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Spirit bar is normally 100%. If your character fails to save vs. fear at monsters who have a capacity to terrify you in the first round of the encounter, your spirit bar will begin dropping in response to further terror. Until you restore the Spirit bar with a spell or by resting at a safe haven, your character will be permanently terrified as his Spirit Bar drops every encounter save vs. fear until all he can do in combat is curl into a fetal position.
Ok, this is how I thought it functioned and I was confused by the previous post because I wasn't sure if by discouraged they meant afraid. I agree, it is extremely cool and I wish more dungeon crawler games had such a feature.

baba is you

Novice
Grimoire wasn't a bad game, but I'd like to see the sequels pay more attention to the UI and manual.
Grimoire's UI had very poor visibility, and the manual and in-game information were sometimes incorrect.

Wizardry 7, which was a direct influence on Grimoire, had good UI visibility and a well-written manual.
Cleve, I don't know when the sequel will come out, but I hope it will pay attention to the things I mentioned. :M

WhiteShark

Learned
I checked the steam update news but the last post there was from 2020. I confirmed on SteamDB that the game is still receiving updates. Where can I read the patch notes and what is the roadmap for the future? I'd like to play Grimoire but I'd rather hold off if the game is still being improved.

index.php

Arcane
I checked the steam update news but the last post there was from 2020. I confirmed on SteamDB that the game is still receiving updates. Where can I read the patch notes and what is the roadmap for the future? I'd like to play Grimoire but I'd rather hold off if the game is still being improved.
Whatever SteamDB may say, the last update was in 2020 and there is not much chance that there will be another one.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
How can you improve on what is already perfect? Download, play, embrace the Incline.
Fix the shields that you are supposed to be able to attack with but when you equip them, you skip all extra attacks.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
How can you improve on what is already perfect? Download, play, embrace the Incline.
Fix the shields that you are supposed to be able to attack with but when you equip them, you skip all extra attacks.
You can't attack with a shield. You can "SHIELD" yourself or another party character. Shields cannot be wielded to do damage. Where did you get this impression from?

WhiteShark

Learned
Whatever SteamDB may say, the last update was in 2020 and there is not much chance that there will be another one.
Ah, I see now that I was looking at the wrong information. I found the correct page on steamdb for actual game updates and indeed there haven't been any for the last three years. On closer inspection the information I was looking at before was related to the steam page and the changes were things like tags and overall user rating. Thanks.

WhiteShark

Learned
What's the recommended hardcore, old skool setting for wandering monsters? It defaults to Rare. I'm worried that if I turn it up, instead of getting a hardcore experience, I'll instead get an overabundance of XP and tedium.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
So, just tested the game out after going from Windows 7 to 10 and the mouse is completely fucked. Laggy movement. Exact same mouse I was using on 7. Tried the compatibility modes, no dice. Any real solution?
Don't have any mouse issues in Grimoire in Windows 10. It must be something else in your system interfering.

So, just tested the game out after going from Windows 7 to 10 and the mouse is completely fucked. Laggy movement. Exact same mouse I was using on 7. Tried the compatibility modes, no dice. Any real solution?
Don't have any mouse issues in Grimoire in Windows 10. It must be something else in your system interfering.
Okay, I figured out what was up. My Razer Diamondback has the ability to easily adjust the polling rate through the Synapse app. By default it was set to 500hz. Lowering it to 125hz solved the issue. Still, it's odd it didn't rear its head on Windows 7, unless the other higher frequencies only became available in 10 or something.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Happy Grimoire Release Day!

Live from Sydney:

cee6f5a3ffe8ca863b0c526cf87270f01d505368.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom