Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Doctor Gong

Literate
Well, Made my first party.

Sal Salone -- Male Saurian Warrior
King Crimson -- Male Drake Metalsmith
Hannaomir -- Female Human Ranger
Bardo -- Female Human Bard
Chucky Chees -- Male Rhattu Thief
Drowbabe -- Female Drow Wizard
Vizine -- Female Aeorb Sage

Bonus range was 31-38 points.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
And Cleve's vivid descriptions of things like the dildos in Max Phipps' bathroom made it all seem so much more real.
I have to admit, reading the old Sir-Tech thread years ago as a lurker was quite an experience, I still don't know what I believe and what is just Cleve's Sir-Tech's insanity.
Eight-way double penetration two-ways was not my idea. That's a Sir-Tech notion.

I just took their horsesh*t and made it work and demoed it at E3.

Next time, guys, be careful who you f*ck with.

(There will never be a next time for Sir-tech)

Last edited:

baboogy

Literate
I've been having an absolute blast with Grimoire, signed up on here just to say how much I'm loving it so far. It's an absolute shame that the reviews on steam got brigaded. I've been recommending it in real life to as many people I know as possible and have gotten some new players roped into it. Looking forward to any other new games Cleve will release (hopefully) in the future.

Rarre

Educated
I've been having an absolute blast with Grimoire, signed up on here just to say how much I'm loving it so far. It's an absolute shame that the reviews on steam got brigaded. I've been recommending it in real life to as many people I know as possible and have gotten some new players roped into it. Looking forward to any other new games Cleve will release (hopefully) in the future.
Any tutorial do you recommend?
Thx

Zero CHAR

Novice
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I bought this game years ago after the funny Kickstarter video, is it any good? I also heard they never released the game manual.

baboogy

Literate
Any tutorial do you recommend?
Thx
I read the manual, and the beginner's guide in the wiki catfood posted above, it's well more than enough, got me pretty far in the game. I've got just one tablet remaining to pick up. Two or three of the puzzles so far I struggled enough with that I had to look up the answer on a guide, but it was usually the kind that made me regret looking it up and thinking that I should have just thought about the answer a bit longer once I knew what it was. :lol:

BATTLEMODE

Novice
Definitely don't look at spoilers unless you're REALLY stuck, all the puzzles are quite doable with a bit of thought.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The saddest thing is that there are numerous people out there who still think this is some sort of 'meme game', when it's one of the best RPGs of more-than-recent time.

pmnw

Literate
Asking as someone with limited blobber experience, is this venerable game going to mistreat me?
Besides, to those who played it through WINE: encountered any problems?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Wizardry IV mistreats the player. Grimoire is somewhat daunting, but generally pretty fair and easygoing. There is a slightly bullshit enemy that one-shots you if it penetrates your armor. The game doesn't tell you, but you can stack the Armorplate buff to make those attacks almost never land.

pmnw

Literate

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just posting to share my continually renewed enthusiasm for Grimoire.

I started over recently with a brand new party and immediately felt the intoxicating allure of the games presentation and mechanics. The game is such a masterpiece and I lament the fact that it exists alone as a successor to Wizardry 7. The only issue I have with it, and knowing some of the history it is understandable and ultimately trivial, is that some of the art clashes, which I only mention because the majority of it is gorgeous and the dungeons are easily the most perfectly rendered I've seen in a grid-based game. Since the game urges the player to exercise their imagination to elaborate on what is only suggested by the presentation, having such great visuals enhances the other immersive qualities.

Just building a new party in Grimoire is more fun than actually playing the majority of games I like, there are so many possibilities and I always find it difficult to keep myself restricted to adding only 6 or 7 player characters to make room for those NPCs that can join the party.

We are so fortunate to have this game in a time when most gamers have long since turned their backs on the ideas and mechanics, the principles and visionary artistic creativity, that first brought roleplaying games to computers as a single-player experience. The fact that such a style of game even exists is a miracle, but that it is also a masterpiece is an anomaly such that ought to dismantle any argument against the existence of God.

Anyway I included in my party a character that I rolled and saved the last time I played, a female Drow Assassin that I have come to adore. The portrait I picked is the one that resembles a vampire holding a knife, she's the coolest! My main guy is a Human Warrior, and I have a Saurian Berserker with a Giant Warrior next in line for the front. The back has a Dwarf Cleric, a Faery Wizard, and a Human Bard, and so far I'm very happy with this party. Recently I was playing Wizardry 6 and I try to recreate some of the characters I made there, or as near an approximation I can make in Grimoire. Being able to play it on Steam Deck is heaven, last week I was playing it while sitting in a doctor office waiting for an appointment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom