Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Great Single Player PC Games to Own (1995-2002)

RolePlayer

Augur
I have an old graphic card that only runs games from the golden era of PC gaming (not by coincidence either).

I've just recently become a fan of "older" games, based on the recommendations from members here over in the RPG general section. I particularly loved Planescape Torment.

Anyway, I'm looking to add to my collection of games, and was looking for some recommendations.

Here's what I already own, or have finished:

Max Payne
Deus Ex
Half Life
Arcanum
Planescape
Balder's Gate II + expansions
Hitman 2
Operation Flashpoint + expansions
Fallout 1 & 2
Starcraft: Broodwar
Diablo 1 & 2
Warcraft 3
System Shock 2
Return To Castle Wolfenstein

Just looking for some more additions here (don't care about games that are largely amazing because of multi-player mods/competition ... I'm mostly looking for deep/complex single player games)

Anything else I should add to the list?

relootz

Scholar
Max Payne 2
Dungeon Keeper 1 (addon for the challenge Deeper Dungeons)
Dungeon Keeper 2
Dark Forces 2 : Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight 2
Heroes of Might and Magic 2+3+4+5

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
TNM is a must for any Deus Ex owner. Other than that, I recommend you to check out Sacrifice, it's a quirky RTS/RPG.

cocorulverde

Educated
Myth: The Fallen Lords
Myth II: Soulblighter (visit Project Magma for some great unofficial patches and mods)
Magic Carpet 2
Syndicate + American Revolt (also you might want to try Syndicate Wars)
X-Wing
Tie Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
Freespace 2
Warhammer: Dark Omen
Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate
Terra Nova
MechWarrior 2 (plus the expansions Ghost Bear Legacy and the standalone Mercenaries)
Jagged Alliance 2
Interstate 76
Wizardry 6, 7, 8
Close Combat series
... and MAX.

yaster

Liturgist
The Last Express
Grim Fandango
Abe's Odyssey
Silent Hill 2
Pharaoh (or Caesar 3, whatever I suppose)
Stronghold
Alpha Centauri (tho preferably get civ4+bts)

From mentioned already I would put greater emphasis on:
X-Com
Jagged Alliance 2
Gothic 1/2
Dungeon Keeper 1 (don't bother with sequel, it's crap)
Sacrifice
VmtB (if you can handle it)

DraQ

Arcane
Deep/complex part might vary, I will list those that are good/fun/atmospheric and haven't been mentioned yet. Also, them codexian bastards have already taken most arpeegees, so my list is only good for what it is.

Homeworld (space RTS, fully 3D and proud of it, atmospheric, with great ship design, lots of formation micromanagement and epic plot.)
Daggerfall (unpolished but worth it, great scope and scale)
Morrowind (unpolished but worth it, even minus mods, much smaller and slightly simpler, but brilliant exploration, atmosphere and lore accompanied by by handcrafted location it's prequel sorely lacked, wooden NPCs and leaky mechanics, though)
Unreal (if atmospheric FPS with good AI is your thing)
Frontier: First Encounters (since its prequel, FE2, is from 1993; make sure to get a replacement .exe like JJFFE - an astronomically correct, open ended spacesim, with fully Newtonian flight, full scaled and simulated systems, seamless landings and whole galaxy to explore*)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 1-2 (because we all like atypical evolved vampires, heavy atmosphere and plotline adorned with multiple temporal loops)

*) Not really, I mean, it is there, but exploring it would take you several thousands of years (real-, not game-time), even if you spent one minute per system.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Age of Wonders 2 + expansion
Demise
Gothic 1 + 2
Silent Hill 2
Thief 1 + 2
Morrowind
The Typing of the Dead
Pathologic (if you have thick skin)
Dungeon Lords (actually a decent hack and slasher hidden under all the unfinishedness)
Wizardry 7+8
Grab some well known roguelikes

Big Nose George

Educated
A friend of mine has all of those in the screen.
What should I get?
287140.jpg

Paperclip

Liturgist
Depending on the actual specifications of your machine...

If high enough, then .... Gothic 2: Night of the Raven .... Neverwinter Nights + addons (the second addon, Hordes of the Underdark, is by far the best) .... TES: Arena (a great first-person dungeon-crawler; you need a decent amount of CPU power to run it via Dosbox) ....

If not high enough for those, and in any case .... Might & Magic VI (first-person party-based RPG adventure, great exploration, super epic proportions, simple but very challenging, fun) .... Geneforge 5 (one of the best RPGs ever; try the demo) .... Dungeon Master.

deuxhero

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Jaedar said:
TNM is a must for any Deus Ex owner. Other than that, I recommend you to check out Sacrifice, it's a quirky RTS/RPG.

According to Korgan, Desu Ex + Shifter mod is better.

Shifter is a tweeks mod, The Nameless Mod is an entire new campaign (two campaigns actually, the two paths you can take are completely different aside from one mission).

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
+1 Tropico

Tropico 3 came out, and it's damn good. Get it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom