Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto V FIVE Thread

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date
Game is terrible. Tons of shitty mini-games which are more or less mandatory to keep friendships up, cover-shooting, serious-business attitude.

I don't get it. Why would ANYONE give a shit about friendships in it? The only mini game I remember having to play was at the date with Michelle, the bowling, all the others are optional. I'm not denying the friendship system was stupid, and they realised it themselves apparently, because they removed it in Episodes, but the fact remains it is optional, yet people can't stop complaining about it. Cover shooting? Why would anyone need to use cover system in PC version? It's perfectly playable without it, simple ducking behind covers works fine. And except for that grim ending I don't really see much in the way of "serious-business" attitude.

Is this what passes for "serious" around here?

I also agree with MHC about the driving, which while not perfect, is certainly a lot more fun than in any of previous games. Shooting overall is an improvement too, although I hope they improve it further in next game. Maybe copy Max Payne 3 shooting minus slowmo? Mission design in 4 was more repetitive than previous games, no denying that, Episodes improved significantly in SP area. Also, what everyone seems to forget is multiplayer, which is tons of fun. Yet people only talk about SP portion like it's the only aspect worth looking at.
As far as playability of the port goes, I'll just assume I'm extremely lucky, I have no problems running it pretty much maxed with distance sliders on 70 on i5-2320+GTX460 (even in mp games with 32 players in them), and it was perfectly playable on my older dual core PC with distance on 30 with other settings on medium-high, which is still way better than console versions.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Morgoth is going to buy a console just to play it in its native state.

Multi-headed Cow

I'll likely dust off my 360 which has been sitting unused for about a year+ now just to play this.

Yes, optional minigames in a sandbox title are totally main game mechanics, and by avoiding them you are not playing the real game. Very cute.
And of course you are gonna say something about cover system. Well it is an undeniable compromise for gamepads, but at least it's not forced and perfectly avoidable with KB/M controls, kind of like it's in Max Payne 3 (except that one bus sequence). Now games like Mafia 2, Mass Effect 2/3, are real cover shooters because the only way to even crouch in them is to use sticky cover. Go on, say some more edgy shit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yes, optional minigames in a sandbox title are totally main game mechanics, and by avoiding them you are not playing the real game. Very cute.

Shooting is an optional minigame now? Avoiding the cover-mechanic is disregarding a main part of the game. One that sucks. Playing with out it feels unresponsive and tedious, like a boiled-down version of Saint's Row.

Avoiding the cover-mechanic is disregarding a main part of the game. One that sucks. Playing with out it feels unresponsive and tedious, like a boiled-down version of Saint's Row.

How is it main part if I can play through entire game without it? Don't see how using cover makes shooting feel any more responsive. It's just how shooting is, it was never good in GTA games so far. I would still say it's least bad in the series to date. As for Saints Row, I only played The Third and it doesn't feel all that much better in it. Except for more awesome guns of course. But it also has shittier driving and health regen, what a piece of shit, right? Or do you only hate cover systems, not regen?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Or do you only hate cover systems, not regen?

Hate them roughly equally. Saint's Row's mini-games are fun, on the other hand, and I'm not forced to consider the regrets of a sad eastern criminal while I'm mowing down pedestrians. GTA IV tries so hard to stand in the way of the mayhem that is the sole point of playing these games.

Except Nico even makes jokes when you are running over pedestrians, comments like "I think your country calls that collateral damage". Didn't feel like the game tried to stand in the way of anything to me. We must've played different versions. And you obviously didn't play MP, which is where the true mayhem is. The real complaint would be that 4 doesn't have as many fun side activities as previous games. But complaints about it being "too serious" just make my eyes roll. If few scenes revealing main character being haunted by his past is enough to kill the whole mood for you, then, well.. sucks for you. "Sleeping Dogs", now that's a game that's truly too serious.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Except Nico even makes jokes when you are running over pedestrians, comments like "I think your country calls that collateral damage".

All the while lamenting all the horrors he's seen and all the bad things he's done. Consistency is teh hard.

is enough to kill the whole mood for you

It is one reason out of many that I've listed. But reductionism is easy, so carry on.

Although I don't agree with Errant Signal much, most of this rundown is pretty accurate, and it explains why Saint's Row is so much better than GTAIV.

All the while lamenting all the horrors he's seen and all the bad things he's done. Consistency is teh hard.

Actually, it is hard in a game like that. Unless.. Would you prefer that every GTA protagonist would be emotionless sociopath? Now that would be just wonderful for consistency. And not boring at all, certainly no one would criticize that. Or did you mean that you wanted Nico to burst into tears after killing pedestrians?

But reductionism is easy, so carry on.

Look who's talking.. But no, I won't be carrying on, I get bored around here very quickly nowadays.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Would you prefer that every GTA protagonist would be emotionless sociopath?

Yes. Vice City was fantastic.

Look who's talking.

Yeah, I thought about it after posting. Killed myself with the irony. I lose :(

(sincere, by the way, in case Codexian reading translates the above into sarcasm)

Commander Xbox

Learned
Not that hyped for the reveal. splitting the protagonist into 3 people seems like a stupid idea for any character driven game, and rockstar seems to have skimped on content in favor of more of those stupid boring minigames based on the interview. i just hope the actual missions have variety and creativity this time, rather than ''chase this guy down and kill him'' repeated over and over

GTA reminds me why there's really only one king in the open-world action genre. That's also why Volition soon will be shuttered.

Seems plenty of room for both to me. I certainly enjoyed both GTA4 and SR3 plenty enough without having the need to go into this "one is good and other is shit" faggotry. They have plenty of good stuff in them. And they're different enough to not make each other redundant.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I thought one of those two games were more about gameplay mechanics and wacky goofy stuff for the sake of fun, than storyfaggotry sugarcoated with sandbox.

GTA IV is a scizophrenic mix between the two. It used to be that GTA, even though it was more story-focused than Saint's Row, had a story in service of the mechanics. Not seperate from, and not one that put constraints on the mechanics like Errant Signal explains above.

go into this "one is good and other is shit" faggotry.

HOHOHO

"You just dizz GTA IV 'cause you a Saint's Row fanboy!!!!"

Fuck you, mister. Vice City is a much better game than Saint's Row, and GTA has way more potential here than the Row. Too bad it chose to constrain its own mechanics in favor of a banalshitboring drama.

Well I do agree that VC is better than SR3 (again, I haven't played any other SR games). But wait... I thought I was specifically talking about GTA4. You know what, I'll give you this - my opinion of GTA4 might be tainted by huge amount of fun I had and keep having to this day in multiplayer. See, I'd like to talk about the whole package but you people choose to focus on SP alone. So I guess that's it, I'm off to enjoy more shitty stuff and leave the hating to you guys.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well I do agree that VC is better than SR3 (again, I haven't played any other SR games). But wait... I thought I was specifically talking about GTA4. You know what, I'll give you this - my opinion of GTA4 might be tainted by huge amount of fun I had and keep having to this day in multiplayer. See, I'd like to talk about the whole package but you people choose to focus on SP alone. So I guess that's it, I'm off to enjoy more shitty stuff and leave the hating to you guys.

Man fuck multiplayer.

Okay, okay: You can have fun in multiplayer. Go right ahead. It's a legitimate point, one I can't contest since, guess what, I don't give a fuck about multiplayer. It's pretty clear that's not what we were discussing, and I doubt many here give two shits about it, and thus the point, while legitimate, is pretty unrelevant to the points we were debating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom