Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto V FIVE Thread

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
[thread necromancy]

Steam has a sale on GTA IV. Game too shit? Should I stay away from it? Never played it, but you can get the complete package for less than 10€, so I'm considering it.

Multi-headed Cow

[thread necromancy]

Steam has a sale on GTA IV. Game too shit? Should I stay away from it? Never played it, but you can get the complete package for less than 10€, so I'm considering it.
PC version's a mess, but can be playable so long as you have the draw distance set to the default 30-ish range. At least on my machine (3ghz dual core, 560TI).

If you've got a beefy machine and/or can stand the poor performance I'd say it's worth it, but it seems like I enjoyed it more than most people. The driving silly as shit (Crazy amounts of momentum and mushy suspension) but while a lot of people hated that I actually preferred it to the super easy driving models in previous GTAs and in the Saints Row games and such. Makes car chases a lot more entertaining, and when things do go pear shaped they usually do in a spectacular way. I also like the goofy as hell euphoria physics/animation nonsense, which basically amounts to "Ragdoll physics with animations firing" which can lead to more silly crap. Actual non-fucking around gameplay is pretty much GTA only with no particularly goofy missions. They play the story mostly straight which (Yet again) was something I enjoyed. Missions themselves are normally just shooting people and/or driving as you'd expect. The "Friendship system" where NPCs call you up and wanna hang out and do pretty crappy minigames can be ignored quite easily, the bonuses you get from high friendship are really minor and can easily be ignored, so doing side-stuff with NPCs should only be if you want to. Getting drunk with Roman and stumbling around singing can be a kick.

So yeah, I'd recommend it depending on your PC and tolerance for low FPS. Also worth mentioning it has third person cover mechanics so if that gets you down it might be worth skipping since that's a large part of the combat. Guess it's also worth mentioning that the two separate DLC campaigns (Lost and the Damned and the Ballad of Gay Tony) have a slightly different flavor to each of 'em and have an entirely different protagonist, and run parallel to the story of GTA4 and interact with it which is kinda fun. Lost and Damned is a bit more combat heavy IIRC, and Gay Tony has a few sillier GTA missions. Both are great if you enjoy GTA4 itself.
Rambling 'cause it's late but yes good game, bad PC version.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I thought it was a step back from previous games, while Vice City was extremely fun with a good story and San Andreas was MASSIVE full of insane things to do, GTA IV just feels too boring...

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hmm. I might pass on it then. God knows I have enough shit on my plate as is. I've sunk 33 hours so far into King's Bounty: Warriors of the North and still I am on the second set of maps (greenwort, verlon etc). Pair that up with me recently purchasing Gods and Kings for Civ V, and running the Silent Storm LP with the Sentinels coming up, it's not like I need another game to distract me.
Loved SA and VC though, so I thought I'd just hear the 'dex opinion. :salute:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I enjoyed 4 very much. It's more serious but still filled with satire. The car physics are awesome, the shooting is great if you turn off all the console aids and use the mouse.

Performance is a bitch if you try to max the game, so don't do that. Put distance at 30-40 and everything else high and enjoy by far the best version of the game..

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
With some rather simple ini tweaks you can make the game playable, without losing any graphic quality. Despite this being common knowledge early on, they never fixed it. This just shows how sloppy and retarded are the people that made this port and possibly their disgusting policy of trying to make you buy new hardware to play their 5-year-old-looking game.

Now as far as the game is concerned, it's not bad, but it's certainly worse than both Vice City and San Andreas. It focuses more on story, and that's not bad by itself, but for some retarded reason they skimmed on various things to do outside missions and generally they've reduced a lot the sandboxy gameplay. Also there are some very annoying features , like the "friends" thing where people you know bust your balls to go out with them and stupid crap like that. Combat is slightly better, but it's absolute popamole so It's nothing to get very happy about. It can certainly be entertaining and you can spend many hours with it, but in the end I was rather disappointed.

tl;dr If you want your GTA fix, replaying Vice City wouldn't be a bad idea.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Game is terrible. Tons of shitty mini-games which are more or less mandatory to keep friendships up, cover-shooting, serious-business attitude.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Uhm, the GTA games have the most HORRIBLE animations ever. GTA V appears to be no exception. The monsters in Grimrock have wayyy better animations. Heck, so do the monsters in Lands of Lore.

It appears you play a white man in this one. Also, there don't appear to be any martial arts and other fighting styles, as in SA. Were there any in GTA 4?

Anyhow, the best GTA was and will always be GTA II. It had the best car driving experience of all.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you don't suck at shooters you can pretty much just ignore the popamole and play it like previous gta's. It's actually kinda easier that way cause you don't have to wait for the enemies to get out of cover, you just run up on them and shoot them in the face. :? It doesn't have the cheap mechanics of really shit popamoles, like enemies magically hitting you with thousands of bullets if you dare step out of cover, or magic cover that makes them bulletproof when they're glued to it even if it only covers a third of their body and shit like that.

You can also ignore the friends and the crappy minigames, it doesn't really have any effect on the story or gameplay except you lose out on some weak bonuses, it's not like you'll grow into a fatass like if you ignored the exercising in SA and they won't go Lance Vance on you or anything.

Other than that mhc summed it up pretty good, GTA4 is worse than VC/SA but still good imo, and the Episodes are better cause less serious, less potato, and better radio stations. Music in vanilla GTA4 is kinda meh and the talk shows are retardedly over the top which stands in stark contrast to how seriousbusiness the story tries to be.

EDIT:
Andhaira said:
GTA II. It had the best car driving experience of all.
33.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom