Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good 4x games to recommend

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm in a mood for 4x games. I've played Civ4 excessively over this weekend, and going to give MoO2 another go after finishing my Civ game.

Now, those two games are pure fun and awesome, but I also like some fresh wind. So I ask for some recommendations on good 4x games that you guys have played.

I already have:
Galactic Civilizations 2, Space Empires 4 and 5, C-evo and Lost Empire: Immortals.

The Dude

Liturgist
I can go on and on about Sword of the Stars + Expansion. In short, when it comes to planet improvements it's a simplified model akin to MOO1. The tactical battles are awesome and the races feel pretty different due to their different propulsion techniques. Since what research is available is random, the game can change a whole lot between 2 games which is a good thing. Also, the demo doesn't really do the game justice, if you are interested, try it through other means before deciding if it's something to like. They will also release a new patch and a Collector's Ed. with game + expansion and some extras, among other things a novel by the woman who wrote all the excellent fluff for the game (Also wrote the Arcanum manual). If you some day want to buy the game, then you should definetely get the Collector's.

Stars! is another pretty good 4x if you can stand pretty much non existing graphics. It's very involved and micro heavy, and there's a lot of math in there. Some people love the game to death, which I don't. Still, it's a pretty decent game if/when you have the patience to play it.

Imperium Galactica 2 is another pretty fun game despite its realtime nature. It features simplified Sim City like planet development, simplified RTS ground battles, and decent RTS space battles. It also has an interesting spying system and an actual story. I had great fun with this one back when it came out.

Also, I keep hearing from all over the place how MOO3 can be an enjoyable experience with fan patches and mods (Chocolate, Strawberry and all those). While I remain doubtful, I'll probably try it sooner or later.

Finally, I have had pretty good fun with Birth of the Empires during the last few days, it's quite rough around the edges though, but if they continue improving it I don't doubt it could be a real gem. The price is as cheap as you can get, and since you are German you probably don't have to suffer spotty translations and lack of documentation.

Malvoisin

Novice
I heard the last few 4X games like Sins of a Solar Empire, Lost Empires: Immortals aren't really what MoO2 fans would like to have and describe as a fresh remake or a better game than MoO2.

From the games you listed, Space Empires and Galciv2, you just might be interested in playing our Birth of the Empires game (in German), from our homepage (click on my website button). It uses ship graphics from Space Empires (gladly provided by Atrocities for us) and is sure not a waste of time since it's fully playable already. Might wanna try it out.

@The Dude: you were a split second faster than me ;).

dragonfk

Erudite
The Dude said:
Also, I keep hearing from all over the place how MOO3 can be an enjoyable experience with fan patches and mods (Chocolate, Strawberry and all those). While I remain doubtful, I'll probably try it sooner or later.

If there is anyone who could shed some light upon this mod and how the games plays with it I would be more than grateful. Or any oppinions upon the game. I am quite a fanatical fan of MoO I and II and am looking for something similar in experience. And maybe I should add that GC II had me bored quite quickly. I wanted to give a try to SE IV but I got localised version of it and believe me that those who published it here(Poland) are remarkable idiots and ignorants and thanks to their efforts I cannot use any mod or patch or anything at all which is not written in my language...

So now I am considering buying MoO 3, but knowing how everyone and his dog were displeased with it I need some Codex feedback about the game and hopefully gameplay enhancing influence of mods. If Oblivion could have been cured from its total retardenss( in regards of hackn'slash, not in RP department) then I believe its possible with MoO 3.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well.

Please observe as I end the thread with a simple name:

Master of Magic.

There. Thread over. Thank you!
*bows*

Edit: Jarl, this is quite likely the best 4X game ever made. You know I have some taste; trust me. It's abandonware too. Not yet convinced? How about now: Microprose.

dragonfk

Erudite
Jasede said:
Well.

Please observe as I end the thread with a simple name:

Master of Magic.

There. Thread over. Thank you!
*bows*

Edit: Jarl, this is quite likely the best 4X game ever made. You know I have some taste; trust me. It's abandonware too. Not yet convinced? How about now: Microprose.

I can second that. Master of Magic is fantastic. I tried many other strategies that were influenced by this game like: Age of Wonders or Lords of Magic and none came even close to MoM. So yeah try it, I must say that graphic-wise it still has charm and class.

And Jasede dont be so swift with ending this thread. I NEED information about MoO 3!
So still I wait for any reports from battlefield called: Master of Orion 3 and Mods. Anyone?

Nedrah

Erudite
Malvoisin said:
Might wanna try it out.

So, I decided to bite. You might want to make the fact that your downloads are hidden to guests a bit more obvious, though. Still, nice community you've got going there. I had a look at some older threads, the game sure has come a long way already.

Also, I second the demand for some MOO3 experiences and mod advise. Might want to check it out if mods actually make it a decent game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why not just burn your copy and play MoO 2 instead? It's what I'd do.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
What? Fuck Wikipedia. This is the best game of its kind, ever. Well, maybe tied with Alpha Centauri. This game has so many more things to do than Civ II, so many more strategies, so many-

Ah damnit. Just play it you idiots.

Destroid

Arcane
MoM +1

I have read some pretty entertaining lets play threads on moo3+mods but have never got around to playing it :(

I seem to recall a rumour that there was a sequal to master of magic in the works, anyone know anything about that?

Heirophant

Novice
I actually could have enjoyed MoO3 if it weren't for the horrible bugs. Not bugs as in "some features don't work properly" or even "the game occasionally crashes to desktop". Bugs as in the game suddenly CTD's at startup and the only solution is to uninstall, clear any traces of it from your registry, and reinstall. Otherwise the game itself can be quite fun- if you don't approach it as a normal 4X game. Trying to micromanage an empire is suicide. Instead, you have to configure the ministers to do what you need and concentrate on only the most vital strategic decisions. The biggest problem there is that the stock AI is completely broken, and there is only so much you can do ingame. Fortunately, the game is very easy to modify, so even if you don't use another modder's work, you can still quickly edit the game to fix most of these problems. That won't help when you have to completely wipe and reinstall every time you want to play.

Helton

Arcane
Do the units and commanders level in MoM? Are there commanders? I'm thinking like in Lords of Magic, my perfect dream game. You could train and equip super commanders and cut down entire armies. I didn't always do that, but knowing you could just makes it feel so much cooler. What's the word, yo?

Vival

Augur
Yeah in MoM hero units (and normal units to some degree) earn experience points. Heroes can also be equipped with magical weapons, armor etc. The cool thing was that you actually could construct and name those artifacts yourself. Once you supplied your battle hardened hero with lovely crafted artifacts like "The Ultimate Asskicker of Doom" he could become pretty much unstoppable.

AlanC9

Liturgist
MoM is a a lot of fun, but it's quite easy to exploit. So you make your own difficulty by deciding how much expoiting you're going to do. Overall, it's a great game. I've never understood why MoO got a sequel right away but MoM didn't.

Fez

Erudite
Dominions 3 is worth getting. Great game and Illwinter support it well.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
MOM is one of my alltime favs as well. The game had so much going for it that everything that came after it just pales in comparison. A while back I heard that there are plans for a sequel, but I can't remember the developer. Still, it would be a mammoth task to make it as good.

Age of Wonders (and its sequels) are good fun.

Dominions 3 is also pretty neat.

mondblut

Arcane
I fourth Dominions 3. The game is in constant post-release development, with new races added with every patch and so on. It is not pure 4X though, kind of a mix of 4x and EU/Risk style "grand strategy".

For good old space romps, Emperor of the Fading Suns should be added.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Emperor of the Fading Suns

That's another one of those that could've been good. Now it's just broken. The symbionts never leave their homeworld, the other alien race never ever gets a turn and the ai is moronic. Still, the setting is nice and the game has it's moments when you look beyond the crap.

There are fan patches out there that seem to fix the worst bugs. They also implement a whole shitload of illogical changes. All in all it's not really worth playing.

Mnemon

Educated
As you have Civ4 ... have a look at Fall from Heaven II. This is a total conversion into a Fantasy setting - it's a pretty indepth and well thought out, unique world. To get a feeling for the setting - have a look at the manual as the webpages are somewhat out of date.

Of course, given it is still at 0.30 and the amount of races, spells, technologies etc. in the game balancing is a tricky thing to get right. I have quite a bit of faith in them getting there, eventually, by the way they approach that problem in the forum discussions.

It does need Beyond the Sword expansion installed, however.

-Mnemon

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom