Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GoG's Dead

denizsi

Arcane
Interesting, I never had these problems. I've ripped the audio in CDs of Outlaws, Blood, Interstate 76 and what have you, to mp3s years ago, when some of those have just recently come out.

chzr

Scholar
75378-TrollFace.png

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well for this they totally deserve to die. But morons will continue to pay Herve Caen anyway so it's all fine

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There was also this one Abandonware site called 'Frenchkiss' or something like that. Now THAT was a cool site. Was :(

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Trash said:
I honestly think the underdogs was a nicer website. Abandonia is neat too but undergroundgamer trumps them all. Who needs GoG when you've got that and dosbox?

Home of the Underdogs was an awesome site. Extensive, good reviews, a lot of resources, awesome lists of games. True passion permeated that whole site. I still miss it :(

Anyway GoG gives a signal that there is an audience outside the mainstream. Hopefully this encourages development of interesting games. Hopefully.

zeitgeist

Magister
asper said:
Anyway GoG gives a signal that there is an audience outside the mainstream. Hopefully this encourages development of interesting games. Hopefully.
Why would it, now that it's obvious that you can resell old games to that audience endlessly, generation after generation?

Zeus

Cipher
zeitgeist said:
asper said:
Why would it, now that it's obvious that you can resell old games to that audience endlessly, generation after generation?

Which is a good thing. I never understood why the games industry had little to no interest in bringing back the classics. You can go on Amazon and order Cassablanca on everything from VHS to Blu-ray, but just try getting your hands on Ultima VIII.

It took DOSBox to finally convince them to even try and release stuff like the Space Quest Collection.

Sad.

MetalCraze

Arcane
asper said:

Some questions needs to be answered first.

For how long does it give a signal?
How many interesting games did it encourage?

You won't like answers. But it shows that you can actually sell DosBox, scene cracks and games dev studios and publishers of which are long dead
At best publishers that own rights on games they don't care about just see GoG as an additional source of an easy income. They will never pay for the development of games like that of course, because making a console shooter #2583 is way cheaper, quicker and more profitable.

mondblut

Arcane
asper said:

I lol'd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom