Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG's biggest announcement is approaching

torpid

Liturgist
I am curious about this, but I have to agree that their marketing is silly: this is like the third countdown to the greatest thing in the world that I've seen on that site.

Zeus said:
A lot of people act like selling new games on GOG would be a terrible announcement, but I don't mind new(er) games on GOG. There are only so many old games they can add to the catalog. As long as they keep selling the classics DRM free, I don't see any problem expanding the business to include new games. Otherwise it'd just turn stagnant.

And since they don't use DRM, new games sold there mean new games without DRM, or with DRM removed.

Zeus

Cipher
torpid said:
And since they don't use DRM, new games sold there mean new games without DRM, or with DRM removed.

Exactly. You'd be surprised how many times I've seen GOG mentioned as the preferred method of Witcher 2 delivery -- all across the net, not just on curmudgeon forums like this one. It seems people are willing to break the Steam habit as long as it means getting a DRM-free experience.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They'll never be able to sell any significant amount of 'new games' because they are DRM free. You won't find too many publishers willing to go along with that. On Steam they still have the Steam platform DRM itself. Hell, even the 'DRM Free' version of Witcher 2 had DRM on it the first few days and the reason they removed it so fast was because it made the game itself buggy.

Achilles

Arcane
Maybe they'll announce that they've been swallowed by Gabe Newell.

Zeus

Cipher
Metro said:
They'll never be able to sell any significant amount of 'new games' because they are DRM free. You won't find too many publishers willing to go along with that. On Steam they still have the Steam platform DRM itself. Hell, even the 'DRM Free' version of Witcher 2 had DRM on it the first few days and the reason they removed it so fast was because it made the game itself buggy.

The retail edition of The Witcher 2 originally had DRM, but the GOG version never had any.

Though the game was initially slated to be DRM free from the beginning, when it was released the only version of The Witcher 2 without any form of copy protection was the one sold on Good Old Games. With version 1.1, however, it will be removed from every version of the game.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... merate.ars

Multi-headed Cow

Alexandros said:
I would have a mighty boner if all GoG games could be activated on Steam.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It had DRM in the form of needing to contact the GoG server to patch it. Not very draconian but DRM nonetheless. At least, I saw a lot of people on the GoG forums having problems with their downloads.

Kraszu

Prophet
Multi-headed Cow said:
Alexandros said:

Why? What is so great about that?

Zeus

Cipher
Being able to activate games on Steam? Good. Being bought, absorbed or otherwise eaten by steam? Very, very bad.

Just look at the Humble Indie Bundle. Those guys worked out a deal to activate games on Steam, but that doesn't mean that Steam's your only choice or that their brand of DRM-free distribution was in any way compromised.

deuxhero

Arcane
2kl/Take Two is gone. Lucasarts (and/?) or EA. Hmm, EA's status of releaseing old games to promote new ones may make this a good time to put Ultima collection up for sale.

Lunac

Arcane

He's a famous steam addict. Unfortunately there's no treatment yet.

execution_of_a_viet_cong_guerrilla_1968.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Multi-headed Cow said:
Alexandros said:

......so instead of loading it on dosbox directly, it would require you to be connected on Steam authentication server before you could load up Space Quest V?

What the fuck is this? You are a sick, sick man.

*Goes to off to masturbate on 2D pictures.*

Multi-headed Cow

Actually the Dosbox games on Steam don't need Steam running. You can launch 'em fine without it if you're so inclined.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I wouldn't at all mind being able to activate GOG games on Steam, if only because there are a few games which have Steam-exclusive features like achievements. Otherwise there really is no point and it kind of flies in the face of one of GOG's biggest selling points.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Multi-headed Cow said:
Alexandros said:
I would have a mighty boner if it was the other way around.

Multi-headed Cow

Dicksmoker said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
Alexandros said:
I would have a mighty boner if it was the other way around.
I'd have a mighty boner in that situation too. Even though I love Steam I'd like the option to get DRM free installers.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You're Steam's favorite cash-cow. :(

Rhalle

Magister
Last time they tried a stunt, they got their PC fanbase all hyped up and it turned out to be the announcement that Witcher was coming to consoles.

Whenever they get all THIS IS THE BESTEST MOST IMPORTANTEST THING WE'VE EVAR DONE OR SAID you can bet it will be some console shit.

Good old Console Games.com

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wing Commander collection would be nice but only if it included 3, 4, and 5 as those are the ones I never played. Of course it seems doubtful given the file sizes required for the movies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom