Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

KeAShizuku

Novice
I see 2 potential solutions to the issue:
1) Download all GOG installers for the games I own on an external drive, so that nobody can take them away from me,
2) Don't use GOG forums, so that no dangerhair mod has a reason to deprive me of the most easy and practical access to my whole libray.

So far both work for me fine.

And its not like you can do the same on Steam, due to DRM on many games. So, GOG still wins, despite its dumb and most likely illegal banning policy.

What about bit rot? Honestly piracy is better at preservation.

ds

Cipher
Patron
Use error correction codes like par2 files or an archive format that has them built in. Combine with backups.

Relying on file sharing for preservation like the is just storing files on someone else's computer. You can't rely on anything except the most popular stuff still being there when you want it unless you are willing to store it yourself.

axx

Savant
I'm not sure about Warcraft but Diablo 1 never dropped below 10% for first couple of years after it was added. They sure are picky with their discounts.

Azdul

Magister
1) Download all GOG installers for the games I own on an external drive, so that nobody can take them away from me,
2) Don't use GOG forums, so that no dangerhair mod has a reason to deprive me of the most easy and practical access to my whole libray.

And its not like you can do the same on Steam, due to DRM on many games. So, GOG still wins, despite its dumb and most likely illegal banning policy.
If piracy is good at preservation - all the games for Atari 8-bit and C-64 should have good cracks at the end of machines commercial life.

The fact is that many of them had to be archived from originals and cracked again decades later - by people with no connection to 'the scene'.

TOSEC often had 8 different cracked versions signed by different groups - all sharing the same crack side-effects - and not a single 'proper' one - with all game sound effects present.

I suppose Amiga is already a lost cause - and some originals are lost to time.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

If piracy is good at preservation - all the games for Atari 8-bit and C-64 should have good cracks at the end of machines commercial life.

The fact is that many of them had to be archived from originals and cracked again decades later - by people with no connection to 'the scene'.

TOSEC often had 8 different cracked versions signed by different groups - all sharing the same crack side-effects - and not a single 'proper' one - with all game sound effects present.

Sometimes it's not worth trying to preserve the originals, but those are fringe examples.

I'm aware of at least two games where the original release was bugged to the point that the game could not be completed.

Enter diligent hackers who created hacked fixes to these games, so that people can finally play them through to the end.

Which version should be preserved? The original? Or the fix?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Some more M.U.L.E.
IMG_4941.gif

Mobygames

Last edited:

Azdul

Magister

Sometimes it's not worth trying to preserve the originals, but those are fringe examples.

I'm aware of at least two games where the original release was bugged to the point that the game could not be completed.

Enter diligent hackers who created hacked fixes to these games, so that people can finally play them through to the end.

Which version should be preserved? The original? Or the fix?
Two versions should be preserved:
A. Exact image of original media - including low-level information about tracks, bad and weak sectors etc. Including separate image for each official re-release.
B. Latest version - without DRM - with documented fixes for bugs and compatibility problems.

Cracking or fixing 8-bit or 16-bit game when you have exact low-level image of original media, cycle accurate emulator and machine with 100 times more memory and processing power is not really that complicated - that's why original should be preserved.

Original Jet Set Willy cannot be finished. However - fixes made later by other people - not the original author - made traversing infamous Banyan Tree less fiendishly difficult. These fixes were later made official by publisher - and used in re-releases.

I prefer original version - which requires series of pixel-perfect and almost frame-perfect jumps. It has that special Matthew Smith flavour.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Elite Force I & II and Away Team.
Excellent choices.
You're gonna have a fun time playing Elite Force 1 and 2.
Don't know about Away Team though.
Away Team is pretty fun if you like Commandos like. It has a bit more combat, which makes it fun. I have it on DVD, but no reader (oops). Maybe one day it will cost 2 bucks :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom