Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Semiurge

Cipher
You'll hardly find any online service that isn't like this. Even the extremely few ones that supposedly aren't like this, it all depends on which mod finds your post.

True, and in addition a quick look at the forum front page will give you a good impression of its moderation quality. Are there plenty of ads from financial partners and affiliates, and how popular is the forum? The popularity means the mods must act quickly and mercilessly if they're to make their lives easier, as big forums have more trolls to deal with. The presence of affiliates means that they get to set forum guidelines, and I can't think of a single example that wouldn't conform to modern ideals of inclusivity and though control. Sites like that will ban at the slightest non-PC remark. They must, and they can afford to even if they didn't have to. Examples of forums that are huge and/or corp funded would be Steve Hoffman forums and GearSpace (formerly known as GearSluts, guess why the name change...) in the field of music, Blu-ray.com for movies, and as for gaming sites I don't know. I only follow Codex. ResetEra perhaps, but their reason might be mostly ideological, not dicated by partners or traffic. All Vbulletin-based boards are strictly moderated by default because of Vbulletin's own "family values".

Last edited:
It might be illegal, but it's probably also a reaction to an entire faction of people who have been attempting to mobilize the forums after the issue with the taiwanese game happened. They had a thread for them and it ended in a point where even people who were partaking on said movement were like "i think this is getting a bit out of hand now"

as always, chuds ruin everything

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I see 2 potential solutions to the issue:
1) Download all GOG installers for the games I own on an external drive, so that nobody can take them away from me,
2) Don't use GOG forums, so that no dangerhair mod has a reason to deprive me of the most easy and practical access to my whole libray.

So far both work for me fine.

And its not like you can do the same on Steam, due to DRM on many games. So, GOG still wins, despite its dumb and most likely illegal banning policy.

ds

Cipher
Patron
Remember when you got patches directly from developers without needing an account on some shitty platform where you need to worry about terms of use and codes of conduct?

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I see 2 potential solutions to the issue:
1) Download all GOG installers for the games I own on an external drive, so that nobody can take them away from me,
2) Don't use GOG forums, so that no dangerhair mod has a reason to deprive me of the most easy and practical access to my whole libray.

So far both work for me fine.

And its not like you can do the same on Steam, due to DRM on many games. So, GOG still wins, despite its dumb and most likely illegal banning policy.
Sounds right IMHO as well. GOG forums suck monkey balls anyway. It is a god awful format and just sucks. The only good is games generally each have their own section so you can look at what was posted for troubleshooting, missing shit, etc etc. if you feel lucky then post a solution. It still sucks in function compared to the elite codex though.

So, lowest game I saw any (I don’t count FREE shit) is Blake Stone: Planet Strike for $0.19. Get it NOW

Don't recall this being in a recent sale and it sounds like someone here would like it

https://af.gog.com/en/game/dark_legions?as=1649904300

Dark Legions is a 1994 action strategy game for MS-DOS. It was developed by Silicon Knights and published by Strategic Simulations (SSI).

Key features

Some key features of this game include:

• Multi-player head to head
  • 16 unit types with unique characteristics and abilities
  • A combination of strategic movement with real-time combat
  • Purchasing of units at game start allows each player to customize their forces
  • Multiple game maps
Many reviewers and players note it as an updated version of the 1983 computer game Archon: The Light and the Dark, calling it "Archon with an attitude."

-M-

Educated
The only good is games generally each have their own section

If only. One of my biggest gripes about the GOG forums is that they group everything by series (except for The Witcher games and Baldur's Gate 3).

If I want to browse the forums for Quest for Glory II, I'm wading through discussion for four other games in the series.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, I should have said SERIES. They need sub-folders with each title inside a general series section.

Azdul

Magister
Remember when you got patches directly from developers without needing an account on some shitty platform where you need to worry about terms of use and codes of conduct?
There are no technical reasons why it should not be possible. However developers ...
  • May not know how. I know it sounds silly - but Unity and Steam tools really made game development 'accessible',
  • They may not have infrastructure to withstand the load. Steam and GOG have regional servers that can withstand new BG3 patch.
In good old days developer would just kick out few people waiting on FTP server to make room for themselves, upload a patch - and call it a day - while players would struggle to download a patch for next day at 5 kB/s. Most people would just buy a magazine with CD coverdisk to save themselves the trouble.

While some games are accessible directly from developers - Steam forces them to match their price. If the price is the same - most people choose Steam or GOG to NOT deal with developers' own 'distribution platform'.

Lucumo

Educated
In good old days developer would just kick out few people waiting on FTP server to make room for themselves, upload a patch - and call it a day - while players would struggle to download a patch for next day at 5 kB/s. Most people would just buy a magazine with CD coverdisk to save themselves the trouble.
Depends on how old we are talking about. There were typically also aggregator websites which offered patches, trailers and later also f2p MMOGs (or other free games) clients.

Patches were also offered in cds of gaming magazines back in the day. Idunno man. Not being able to get a patch because you don't have internet or a gaming magazine seems pretty bad.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, when I finally got my extra awesome EarthLink dialup at mayyyybeeee 3kb/s, I was surprised at the number of patches. Getting a page to load up was a bitch and downloads were awful. Fuck watching YouTube (even 20 second vids).

T-mobile in the rural brings back these memories. Yes, you too can have shitty internet on your phone. It is almost as bad as them thar dial-up days….. almost.

Unwanted

Cologno

Unwanted
Well, when I finally got my extra awesome EarthLink dialup at mayyyybeeee 3kb/s, I was surprised at the number of patches. Getting a page to load up was a bitch and downloads were awful. Fuck watching YouTube (even 20 second vids).

T-mobile in the rural brings back these memories. Yes, you too can have shitty internet on your phone. It is almost as bad as them thar dial-up days….. almost.
No shit. And forget going into some place with tin siding. Back then I'd take shore leave to see my parents in Indiana and like, they were signed on with T-Mobile. We'd go to a store called Rural King and finding the old man would be a bitch. Usually he'd be off staring at lawn mowers and weed eaters, but damn.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I visited my parents again and noticed there is like 1/4” dust pileup everywhere. Even the bottom of the dogs water bowl has dust beneath the water. You can swipe the bottom of the bowl and make smiley faces at the bottom. WTF!

I might hire this maid since she’s on GOG staff.

flyingjohn

Arcane
You could argue that GOG went down the toilet a long time ago
Steam with goldberg is a much better experience minus some exceptions.
No proper mod support, changing files and structure of folders for shit and giggles, applying fixes automatically(especially annoying for bloodlines) and leaving half assed DRM bypasses for shit and giggles( FEAR leaves inactivated securom stuff on your PC).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom