Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Uh it's the other way around. The Saturn controller was even better. They were made for action, arcade and fighting games, and were much better at it than the SNES.

Never used the Saturn controller, but for arcade & fighting games designed to be played in the arcade, the joystick was always a better option. I can see the Saturn controller's 6 thumb-button arrangement being better for them though. For purely console games, I always found the genesis controller to be awkwardly large with an imprecise d-pad and the thum-buttons aligned just a bit away from where my thumb wanted to go. Plus the shoulder buttons were pretty nice.

But I was young, so that might have just been a hand size issue.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shitty Dpads, the current generation of console controllers make the snes one feel state of the art and compared to the genesis controller they might as well be rocks.

The SNES controllers were awesome, but the Genesis controllers were pretty mediocre. Three buttons in a line was just ergonomically kind of fucked.

I actually like the PS2/PS3 controllers quite a bit. I think XBox controllers are generally regarded as the best, but I'm not really sure why - I'm guessing its because the 360 was so dominant people were just more used to it. But on the ease of use question, I think the PSX approach fits more easily into the hand, with the analog stick placement much easier for thumb use. (Although on the non-ergonomic side, easy use with a windows PC is a nice advantage).
I like the button feel and placement of the PS controller better. However, Dual shock controllers are too small for my hands, I get fatigue when using it longer than 2-3 hours. The 360 controller fits a lot better.

I guess I'm just a fat American :(

Eyeball

Arcane
I heard that Etherlords is a bit like MTG: Shandalar. Can anyone confirm these highly promising rumours?

Modron

Arcane
Meant the Saturn controller when I said Genesis, that thing was a work of beauty and while playing fighting games on a real arcade stick is the best the saturn dpad was the only other way to enjoy those kinds of games.

Kirtai

Augur
Seems The Witcher 1 & 2 are 50% off until Friday due to The Witcher 3 being announced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirtai

Augur
Today there's a 60% discount on La Mulana.

In addition to this, they've started giving discounts if you buy a whole series together. It's in testing though so may not be a permanent part of the site. The supported series are currently

7th Guest Bundle
Alone in the Dark Bundle
Atlantis Bundle
Gabriel Knight Bundle
Journeyman Project Bundle
Kings' Quest Bundle
Space Quest Bundle
Longest Journey Bundle
Little Big Adventure Bundle
Phantasmagoria Bundle
Wadjet Eye Adventures
Runaway Series
Sam & Max Series
Simon the Sorcerer Bundle
Still Life Bundle
Syberia Bundle
Tex Murphy Bundle
Zork Bundle

Rpgsaurus Rex

I heard that Etherlords is a bit like MTG: Shandalar. Can anyone confirm these highly promising rumours?

If you like MTG and turn-based strategy it's a must-play, just saying. (It's sort of Heroes 3 and MTG hybrid)

Don't expect the second coming of Christ, but it's very good for what it is regardless. 7/10?

Astral Rag

Arcane
daikatana

6zmybn.jpg

2ldx47p.jpg

3323pkg.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't played Daikatana, but from looking at it for a few minutes, it does seem like it was ahead of its time in some of the things it tried to do.

(Of course, "ahead of its time" isn't necessarily a good thing if the time in question is the late 90s.)

Daikatana was possibly one of the earliest instances of RACISM IN MY VIDEOGAMES SERIOUS BUSINESS -> people were pretending to be offended by a black character called Superfly Johnson.
-

The SNES controllers were only good in my tiny child hands. I tried to hold them recently, and it didn't felt comfortable at all. In fact, even back then they didn't feel so good for more intense segments of platformers or fighting games, my fingers were always blistered. They're just an update of the rectangle-ish NES controllers.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I haven't played Daikatana, but from looking at it for a few minutes, it does seem like it was ahead of its time in some of the things it tried to do.

-Level design is awful
-Weapons look silly and feel weak
-Most enemies are more annoying than anything else
-AI is abysmal and you have to rely on NPC's in some areas (annoying)
-Each time period feels more generic than the last
-Graphics made Q2 engine look bad and of course looked terrible in comparison with Q3 and Unreal

I can only "recommend" demoing it, chances are you'll (rage) quit before you reach the end of the first level, wading through brown corridors while shooting swarms of frogs and dragonflies with a weak sounding pew pew gun isn't that much fun after all.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"First RPG elements in shooter history"

Released after both System Shocks.

tuluse

Arcane
I never actually played the first one, but the 2nd one clearly does, not just kinda. You have stats that you level up.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I never actually played the first one, but the 2nd one clearly does, not just kinda. You have stats that you level up.

That's what I figured, you never played it. They are entirely different games. It is however a fucking blast to play, highly recommended (I played it not too long ago to record the music in it which is also excellent).

Gord

Arcane
Didn't the first one come with implants/better software the player could find?
In my book that can be considered "rpg elements" even if shallow ones.

Edit:
Then again, they are just a linear upgrade path, so one could argue that they are not different from standard weapon progression in any shooter. Too long since I played the game, though...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I didn't know a patch gave Daikatana proper saves. I might actually buy it and try to play it now, it can't be worse than modern shooters if I can actually save my fucking game, right?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

Imagine this ad coming out now. Tumblr would burn itself down with righteous indignation.

Although I would like to know who was the marketing genius that ok'd this.

I don't know if it's accurate but according to wikipedia it was Mike Wilson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daikatana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Wilson_(producer)

I would pay alot of money though to see this published in this Age of Faggotry,the butthurt would glorious

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom