Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Turjan

Arcane
Fuck's sake this isn't rocket science GOG.
If I think of Origin, rocket science is peanuts compared to a game client :smug:. The gog.com downloader still doesn't work properly after all these years, either. The last version is worse than the one before.

Anyway, I think it's a good move. More than half of Steam's success is the ease of use their client offers. That's a big thing for consumers.

It used to fuck up with me all the time a year ago. The files would always stop near the end of downloading with an error. After an update on the downloader I never had a problem since.

Rune is a mindless third person hack-n-slash. It is fun for what it is. Like a Blades of Darkness Lite.
Depths of Peril is a Soldak hack-n-slash with 4x elements. The ideas for the game make it intriguing but it was poorly implemented.
Think of Darkstone like a prototypical Fate/Torchlight game.

Never played Thunderscape nor Rogue Legacy. Rogue Legacy just seems like a typical boring Rouge-lite that everyone seems to be making these days.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Swapper is great. If you enjoy puzzle platfomers, I highly recommend it.

Rune is a great LAN game.

I've also heard great things about Scratches, but haven't had a chance to play much myself. I believe Jaesun is a big fan.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thunderscape was one of my first RPGs.
:love:

Can't really say how it holds up, though. It's still on my to-replay list.

Rogue Legacy is alright, actually, but grinding for money gets old eventually.

Turjan

Arcane
What's wrong with GOG's downloader? It works fine for me.
It leaves a long list of allegedly unfinished downloads in the list as "paused". Those entries are untouchable (clicking "remove" doesn't do anything), and they get checked every time I want to download something. That happened after the last update. I guess I should uninstall it and try to reinstall a fresh version.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Grabbed Rune. Always heard it was "good for what it is."

It's very good for what it is.

it's even better with http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

Rune's multiplayer was great as well and I believe it's still active.

Edit:

Looks like Rune "Classic" is incompatible with Kentie's renderer so scratch that.

I just loaded up the game and there are indeed a few active MP servers.

Last edited:
Wasteland 2
Man, a fucking dinky client so my GOG games auto-update took them years to announce and now 6 more months to launch, maybe? Fuck's sake this isn't rocket science GOG.

They didn't care until they've realized, they cannot into early access market without it.

Last edited:

Keshik

Arcane
What's wrong with GOG's downloader? It works fine for me.

For me I find it really hammers my system, though I suspect that's a problem with my machine. I do know the option to open the location I downloaded the game to doesn't work right as it opens a different folder than the one I specified. Not really a huge deal as I can navigate a file system and it does do what I expect it to - download the game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Grabbed Rune... for $1... when it was in a Groupees bundle a year or so ago...

#GOGDealzYo

belated

Augur
Obviously grabbed Thunderscape when it was released on GOG. And have Swapper on Humble, so might skip the promo.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
We released this little gem today :)

995151271-00.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Dan(i)! Great game but doesn't quite hold up well today. Heart of Africa actually one-up'ed it a couple of years later.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
For those who missed the December sale, D&D titles have a 60% sale (80% when all games are bought).

Rollercoaster Tycoon also has a 60% sale (75% when purchasing all three games).

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom