Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Gilded Destiny - like Victoria 3, but not a piece of shit (in theory)

M. AQVILA

Arcane
How are hexes any more realistic? In real life regions have always been organized by arbitrarily designated borders (although usually according to geographic borders), if anything that makes the pdx province system more "realistic". Plus the hex system makes countries' shapes look less accurate.

Because they're not static. Borders are not static, they change for various reasons. With hexes you can simulate better the conquest of territory by only taking land you want, and it allows better strategic planning since terrain has an important effect on combat (like you mentioned above). Army movement also benefits from the hexes, I always disliked that aspect in PDS games.

And I agree with you on the shapes looking less accurate, but it doesn't bother me much.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I always hated static provinces like they do in Paradox games. It might look better but it's not realistic, I actually welcome the hexes. But I would like to know how conquest works before making any judgement.

By the way, nobody commented on the portrait system:

Looks great. Better than anything of the sort that Paradox has ever done. Much better than the cartoony crap from Vic3 or CK3, that's for certain.

How are hexes any more realistic? In real life regions have always been organized by arbitrarily designated borders (although usually according to geographic borders), if anything that makes the pdx province system more "realistic". Plus the hex system makes countries' shapes look less accurate.

How is the way Paradox does provinces any better? Its a predetermined shape that doesn't changes no matter what demographic economic and political changes happen.

Usually in Victoria provinces fit post WW1 borders which in 1830s is ridiculous. In EU series its even more ridiculous since its for centuries.

Hexes at least allow you to some more leeway with borders.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated

Because they're not static. Borders are not static, they change for various reasons. With hexes you can simulate better the conquest of territory by only taking land you want, and it allows better strategic planning since terrain has an important effect on combat (like you mentioned above). Army movement also benefits from the hexes, I always disliked that aspect in PDS games.

And I agree with you on the shapes looking less accurate, but it doesn't bother me much.
Borders are static but you can conquer different provinces to have the borders change. At a certain zoomed-in level territories tend to just not change shape even if they change hands from one empire to the other, so whether it is a hex or a more natural shape at that point is really just a point of preference (possibly an optimization issue, since complex vector shapes take more processing and storage).

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
I always hated static provinces like they do in Paradox games. It might look better but it's not realistic, I actually welcome the hexes. But I would like to know how conquest works before making any judgement.

By the way, nobody commented on the portrait system:

Looks great. Better than anything of the sort that Paradox has ever done. Much better than the cartoony crap from Vic3 or CK3, that's for certain.

How is the way Paradox does provinces any better? Its a predetermined shape that doesn't changes no matter what demographic economic and political changes happen.

Usually in Victoria provinces fit post WW1 borders which in 1830s is ridiculous. In EU series its even more ridiculous since its for centuries.

Hexes at least allow you to some more leeway with borders.

In victoria 2 the issue was mostly just that provinces weren't small enough, if you make them as small as hexes but with natural borders your complaint wouldn't exist, PLUS it would actually fit how countries look in real life, instead of ugly hex blobs.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
How will combat work? For the love of god it better not be 1upt like CIV shit.

And I hope it has Wakanda and african space ships and laser weapons like PDX games, because I love progressive liberal alt history in my historical strategy games (sarcasm).

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I have concerns on how they will form fronts especially large ones. Hexes seem to have troublem with that. HoIIV province based frontforming is much more handy in that matter

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Aww, yeah
qD90sXW.jpg
ZKaMvCO.jpg

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
https://aquilainteractive.io/gildeddestiny/

Stretch Goals​

£40,000

China’s Self-Strengthening Movement

Extended Event Chain

Navigate the challenges faced by the Qing Dynasty as they grappled with modernization during the 19th century. This historical event chain will include the building of the Beiyang Fleet, the reform of the Imperial Examinations, the Anti-Missionary Riots, the appointment of Foreign Advisors, and more. Will you succeed in steering a course between tradition and progress, or will your reforms leave China vulnerable to external or internal foes?

£80,000

United States & Confederacy

Military Sprite Pack

This stretch goal brings to life the distinct uniforms and regalia of the Civil War era, replacing the default skins with historically accurate, visually stunning representations. Command your troops with a newfound sense of authenticity and immerse yourself in the strategic battles of one of America’s most defining periods.

£160,000

Greek War of Independence

Extended Event Chain

Witness the beginning of the end for the Ottoman Empire with the Greek War of Independence, a key early-game event that involves several Great Powers. Whether you decide to bolster the Ottoman Empire’s declining strength, give aid to the Greek rebels, or even resurrect the Byzantine Empire, your choices will irrevocably alter the balance of power in Southeastern Europe.

£240,000

Japan’s Meiji Restoration

Extended Event Chain

Explore Japan’s pivotal Meiji Restoration in an extended event chain. Guide the nation from feudal isolation to Westernization, balancing tradition with modernization. Your choices will shape Japan’s rise as a global power, influencing its cultural and industrial evolution in this transformative era.

£400,000

Units in Formation

When Zoomed In

New military display options in settings: switch between traditional single soldier or dynamic formations of small soldiers for army units. This feature enhances visual realism and tactical immersion on the battlefield, allowing a more authentic depiction of military strength and maneuvers.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
We are in no position to complain because alternative is a soulless piece of shit that is Victoria 3, made by incompetent retards, who see its future as a mobile cookie-clicker

I'm unable to feel hope as that part of my soul is dead forever(Paradox killed it), but I'll play it once it's done.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Are there still active primary Vicky 3 streamers/tubers? I just assumed that it was mostly people who did CK3 or other stuff but then sometimes did a Vicky 3 vid when Paradox was willing to sponsor it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom