Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Gilded Destiny - like Victoria 3, but not a piece of shit (in theory)

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Why don'twe have a topic about it?

ABOUT THIS GAME​

00.png

Gilded Destiny is a grand strategy game depicting the transformative era of the Industrial Revolution. You will take the helm of the country of your choice and transform it from a backward agrarian society to an industrial powerhouse. The game is a deep simulation of societal transformation, industrialization, the economy, warfare, and diplomacy.

20230720-120558.gif

• A massive globe consists of over 1 million+ hexagons with distinct biomes, terrains, and weather patterns reflecting the real world—all in beautiful 3D.
  • Intricate global supply and demand simulation paired with large selection of productions and factories.
  • Pausable real time gameplay.

20230720-120545.gif

• Experience the transformative era of Industrial Revolution as it happens.
  • Complex development mechanics from province resource, city building, to factory construction. Unlike your typical GSG, physical placement of buildings matters!
  • Realistic simulation of population, culture, migration, assimilation, and career change to reflect the massive societal change of the time.
  • Unlock groundbreaking technological breakthroughs and research to propel your nation on a path of industrialization.
  • Define and execute your own leadership strategy. Shape your country's governing policies to match your vision. Economic, labor, social, diplomatic, and military policies are all at your fingertips. Suppress a domestic labor strike, while you wage war with your hostile neighbor, and sign a peace treaty with your old enemy!
  • A flexible leader management system allows you to appoint leaders to political, research, and military positions. With both historical and fictional characters to pick from, you can explore all possible timelines!
  • Name everything! Every country, province, and even city can be renamed as you desire to fit your alternate history scenario. When starting a game, you can even create your own country and design your own flag directly in game.

03en_v3.png

• The technological breakthroughs of the era that fundamentally changed the face of war will be reflected.
  • Direct control of military units to achieve your objectives. While AI will automate many routine aspects of warfare, you are never prevented from issuing orders directly to specific units.
  • Control of vital railway / transit hubs will have great logistical importance to your industrial output and ability to sustain a war.

20230517-141338.gif

• The game is built with an editor to make altering the world a cakewalk.
  • Most contents are directly moddable, giving you a great degree of freedom to remake the game to your imagination.
  • Mods will be supported through the Steam Workshop.

And it is already ages ahead in terms of warfare than piece of shit we saw in Victoria 3

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
It's too bad the hexes make the map look fucking idiotic.
Hexes are very convenient for a lot of stuff including rivers, terrain changes, and other stuff. Squares would look even worse. Although many games will sort of smooth the edges of the hexes on coasts or something. GE also used a hex map. Paradox style maps can of course look better but you lose the ability to do certain things in order to get that impact. The same as why highly moddable UIs will often look bad, because you can't control things, but very static ones with fancy themes will look sweet but it takes a lot of work to do changes.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Hexes are very convenient for a lot of stuff including rivers, terrain changes, and other stuff. Squares would look even worse. Although many games will sort of smooth the edges of the hexes on coasts or something. GE also used a hex map. Paradox style maps can of course look better but you lose the ability to do certain things in order to get that impact. The same as why highly moddable UIs will often look bad, because you can't control things, but very static ones with fancy themes will look sweet but it takes a lot of work to do changes.
Oh I am aware. I just prefer the pdx system since it doesn't make my home country look like a disabled version of itself as it tends to do in all hex-based games.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Oh I am aware. I just prefer the pdx system since it doesn't make my home country look like a disabled version of itself as it tends to do in all hex-based games.
Sounds like the home country should reclaim some more ocean to get a more hex friendly shape. Lazy bastards.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

You should change your home country that fits the perfect hexagon.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Paradox map require a team of devs to sustain no indie studio can afford. Each of their provinces are tracked by colour code and calculating borders is hell. It could be managed via mods but to create it from scratch is a hell of an effort.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Sounds like the home country should reclaim some more ocean to get a more hex friendly shape. Lazy bastards.
Oh don't worry, we are doing that. However in 1822, which is where this game starts, it had a lot more sea around still than they showed in the map. Would be cool if they added a land reclamation mechanic though.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Paradox map require a team of devs to sustain no indie studio can afford. Each of their provinces are tracked by colour code and calculating borders is hell. It could be managed via mods but to create it from scratch is a hell of an effort.
Paradox literally has like 1 coder per game, it's effort sure but not something no developer can't do. Paradox developer teams in general aren't particularly big. Most of their recent coding time went into their fluffy 3d modeling additions to their engine. Honestly, Paradox kind of impresses me sometimes with how little they really add to their games over time despite being a relatively big company.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
While getting a pixel perfect map to start with is annoying, the actual color picking and borders is pretty easy, programming wise.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
While getting a pixel perfect map to start with is annoying, the actual color picking and borders is pretty easy, programming wise.
Yea and there's plenty mods that overhauled the pixel map in a decent time span. I just don't see what the issue is with using the paradox system, Lol.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Yea and there's plenty mods that overhauled the pixel map in a decent time span. I just don't see what the issue is with using the paradox system, Lol.
Gilded Destiny and Grey Eminence have a much lower level territory control system and some other features that make a hex map easier. Each hex is a unique location with pops and terrain and stuff. And GE, though it is on dev pause, had a paintbrush editor that used the hexes as well.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Gilded Destiny and Grey Eminence have a much lower level territory control system and some other features that make a hex map easier. Each hex is a unique location with pops and terrain and stuff. And GE, though it is on dev pause, had a paintbrush editor that used the hexes as well.
Yea that's the main argument I suppose... I wish a developer would just do the best of both worlds, very high province so you can have a lower level control system, and not using hexes.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
And tbh, I forgot Grey Eminence was indeed a thing, lol. Was following their development a lot until they paused development. Had a lot of hyped for it tbh.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
And tbh, I forgot Grey Eminence was indeed a thing, lol. Was following their development a lot until they paused development. Had a lot of hyped for it tbh.
GE had a semi fancy trailer, decent key art, good marketing, and a ton of lucky word of mouth through M&T discords. And this was all after Jordan lost his money day trading or w/e. So the hype builds up cause of that but the game wasn't actually that developed. It looked sweet, cool hex map, etc, but the actual game mechanics, no.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
GE had a semi fancy trailer, decent key art, good marketing, and a ton of lucky word of mouth through M&T discords. And this was all after Jordan lost his money day trading or w/e. So the hype builds up cause of that but the game wasn't actually that developed. It looked sweet, cool hex map, etc, but the actual game mechanics, no.
Makes sense, a shame though. It also sounded way too ambitious to me tbh. Wasn't the timeline gonna be 1356-1950 or some insane shit? How the fuck are you gonna have both late medieval and world wars in the game and represent both sufficiently with game mechanics on an indie budget?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
No. There IS a problem. with hexes you can't properly simulate bottlenecks and chokepoints. Take El Alamein or Slovakian mountain forts in HoIIV. some tiny provinces are MUCH more important hanothers and with hexesyou sould be consistent and they must be of similar sizes. With prx map system you can have huge siberian province and tiny memel or gibraaltar.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
No. There IS a problem. with hexes you can't properly simulate bottlenecks and chokepoints. Take El Alamein or Slovakian mountain forts in HoIIV. some tiny provinces are MUCH more important hanothers and with hexesyou sould be consistent and they must be of similar sizes. With prx map system you can have huge siberian province and tiny memel or gibraaltar.
Well the hexes in GE specifically, not sure about GD, are 200sqmi I think? That's pretty damn small.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
I always hated static provinces like they do in Paradox games. It might look better but it's not realistic, I actually welcome the hexes. But I would like to know how conquest works before making any judgement.

By the way, nobody commented on the portrait system:

Looks great. Better than anything of the sort that Paradox has ever done. Much better than the cartoony crap from Vic3 or CK3, that's for certain.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I always hated static provinces like they do in Paradox games. It might look better but it's not realistic, I actually welcome the hexes. But I would like to know how conquest works before making any judgement.

Looks great. Better than anything of the sort that Paradox has ever done. Much better than the cartoony crap from Vic3 or CK3, that's for certain.

That AI stuff with stable Diffusion is cool if there aren't any legal issues that come up.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Eh, I think you can do that with hexes. You can have zone of control for forts and if some hexes are unpassable (mountains, deserts, etc) you could simulate that just as well as the pdx province system.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated

How are hexes any more realistic? In real life regions have always been organized by arbitrarily designated borders (although usually according to geographic borders), if anything that makes the pdx province system more "realistic". Plus the hex system makes countries' shapes look less accurate.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Also the portrait system is whatever, seems a bit gimmicky. I wouldn't have minded if they just used static portraits similar to ck2 and vic2. Better than the modern pdx game goblin models at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom