Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GameSpot's thoughts on Fallout 3

Mayday

Augur
RPG Codex is slowly becoming a "retarded newsposts spotted on the net" compendium, instead of providing interesting information about the development of RPGs, new ideas, good games. Soon enough I'll stop reading the news for the necessity to weed through all the stupidity.

Couldn't these things be given a separate section?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Mayday said:
RPG Codex is slowly becoming a "retarded newsposts spotted on the net" compendium, instead of providing interesting information about the development of RPGs, new ideas, good games.
Well, in order to provide "nteresting information about the development of RPGs, new ideas, good games", someone needs to start making good RPGs with interesting features and new ideas.

Mayday

Augur
If new ideas and interesting features pop up every day I can find them on my own. If they are scarce, I rely on a news site to inform me about them.
If I have to weed through stupidity to find those interesting points, the news site loses its purpose.

Texas Red

Whiner
Mayday, then get the fuck out of here and read Rpgwatch or something else. Im tired of your constant whining in every post you make.

Mayday

Augur
What is this... watch you speak of? I'm no deserter! I care for my motherland!

Yeah, VD- I very well understand the problem of there being no actual innovations in the genre. But there are interviews where interesting points are made. Missed attempts at making something new that, after some thought, could be made feasible. These things DO appear on the Codex- I find them from time to time.

Section8

Cipher
Honestly, I'd like to see a "Project Monkey" forum/vault, where the design discussion that really floats my boat can live in a utopia free from the nuclear bombardment of mediocrity that constitutes both the news and discussion of contemporary RPGs.

But Mayday, you can just steer clear of the News Comments forum/front page if the bleak outlook troubles you. We'll let you know if something good ever happens.

Krafter

Scholar
Hello, Bethesda's target audience. Still can't figure out why they needed the good "Fallout" name to sell to these idiots, though.

Kotario

Liturgist
Did anyone else listen to GameSpot's podcast, HotSpot (dear lord do I hate podcasts, they seem in competition to sound more retarded than all the others; not to mention full of painfully false banter and failed attempts at wit)? Tor makes an appearance, and besides saying "...it's basically going to be Oblivion with mutants in DC, which sounds damn good to me." he sort-of defends himself against GameSpot's BoS review.

"...one of the biggest problems with the last Fallout game, which was this -even though we gave it a good review, I thought it was awful- game called Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, I didn't review it. But uh...."

Kotario

Liturgist
GameSpot poll, courtesy of Briosa's blog:

stupid.png

Mr Happy

Scholar
Kotario said:
GameSpot poll, courtesy of Briosa's blog:

stupid.png

Lol. WAY TO BE TOTALLY PROFFESSIONAL AND UNBIASED IN YOUR POLL MAKING GUYS.

Gamespot: making quality polls obsolete (like tb combat!) since 2002

Hazelnut

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
THERE IS NO MORE MARKET FOR ISOMETRIC TURN BASED STRATEGY.

Hellooo! There is a fucking market, I'm over here.

I said I'm over HERE!!!

Can't you fucking hear me or something?

ARRRRGGGHHHHHH!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
VD, when AoD is out, can I just send you the money for the game and for shipping in an envelope and you send me the diskettes? And for god's sake, give AoD a cool cracktro!

Fez

Erudite
Don't be silly there's no market. All those console developers just make TB isometric strategy games for kicks. They love to burn their money in inventive ways. As if anyone actually buys or plays them.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Section8 said:
Never before has Idiocracy been more relevant viewing.

I supersize with you.

Gamespot Poltroon said:
Both Fallout and Fallout 2 offered open-ended gameplay with many side quests inside a larger, linear storyline--as did Oblivion.

This is why it's bemusing to see people holding out hope that the game is turn-based or retains the Fallout atmosphere or whatever. No matter what surface versimilitude there might be (and there will be little), the meat of the game is by the same incompetents who made Oblivion's quests. These are people clinically incapable of non-linear design, decent characterisation, or interesting dialogue. The person who will be a main quest writer for Fallout 3, Mark Nelson, was responsible for the Mage's Guild questline in Oblivion. It required no magic skills whatsoever and better yet, upholding Oblivion's 'you can be whatever character you want' ethos, forced you to kill an entire village.

Amasius

Augur
Twinfalls said:
The person who will be a main quest writer for Fallout 3, Mark Nelson, was responsible for the Mage's Guild questline in Oblivion.
Ugh. There rarely ever somebody deserved it to be fired for horrible work like this dipshit and he got promoted? Thats the Bethesda I love. But they have the Ink Blots! That must make up for something, right? RIGHT? Arrrrrgh!!!

Reading news on the Codex really is some kind of sadomasochism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom