Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Games like Dark Souls on pc?

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
I watched few videos on youtube to see what the fuss was all about and the game reminded me of Castlevania:dark symphony of the night which I enjoyed back in a day. I dont ahve PS3 and dont really plan on buying it anytime soon but I would like to play more games like that. Is there anything on pc that would be similar to dark souls or Castlevania? or the only games are on consoles if so can someone recommend something I can emulate on pc, maybe for ps1 or w/e

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd recommend From Software's earlier games, the predecessors to Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, especially Shadow Tower (PS1) and Shadow Tower Abyss (PS2; it received an English translation patch recently; link) as well as the King's Field series and Eternal Ring. Can't really go wrong with them; they're some of the best dungeon crawling ARPGs ever made. (And yes, you can emulate them no probs.)

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Blade of Darkness as far as the combat itself goes. It lacks the exploration of Dark Souls, but the combat is similar, albeit without the huge bossfights. It's also quite hard, but in a different way. Dark Souls' difficulty comes from it punishing you for being stupid or reckless, kind of like roguelikes do. In BoD, the combat itself is the challenge.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
I finished Blade of Darkness like 5 times allready. That game was awsome but not quite what I am looking for right now. To specify I guess I want to play a game with exploration like Dark Souls, where its a huge area and you get to find all this different shortcuts all the time so its all interconnected and you get to fight some ridiculous bosses. That is why it kind of reminds me of Castlevania since a lot of it was backtracking through same areas to find new secret spots. I havent really played a lot of console games so I dont even really know what is avaliable like that.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If you're looking for exploration heavy metroidvania sort of gameplay, there's Aquaria and An Untitled Story on PC. Both are 2D and have much different atmosphere though. Also, the second one is just plain ugly. Aquaria starts off on the linear side but opens up quite a bit in the midgame.

Also, metroid games obviously. Though the prime series was a lot more linear than super metroid, and I don't know anything about the handheld ones. Buts thats all game for emulation. There's also the DS Castlevania games, though they didn't quite match up to SotN in my book.

RPGMaster

Savant
I finished Blade of Darkness like 5 times allready. That game was awsome but not quite what I am looking for right now. To specify I guess I want to play a game with exploration like Dark Souls, where its a huge area and you get to find all this different shortcuts all the time so its all interconnected and you get to fight some ridiculous bosses. That is why it kind of reminds me of Castlevania since a lot of it was backtracking through same areas to find new secret spots. I havent really played a lot of console games so I dont even really know what is avaliable like that.

Batman: Arkham Asylum. :smug:

Also, metroid games obviously. Though the prime series was a lot more linear than super metroid, and I don't know anything about the handheld ones.

Metroid Fusion is like Super Metroid but feels less "desolate" and there's a NPC (an AI) nudging you in the "right" direction at save points. Still, it is like SM so it's not really bad.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Try this for a snes emulator:
http://drewseph.zophar.net/

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Maybe you will like the Metroidvania games, like Symphony of the Night. I mean, you mentioned that game in your first post, but maybe you can try out all the similar games, like the ones for the Nintendo DS?

I don't like them, but most people do.

deuxhero

Arcane
Don't forget the GBA Castlevanias.

IMO

AoS>DoS>CotM~=PoR>HoD. Haven't done OoE yet because it is stuck at the too expensive for my budget 20 bucks.

You should play From Software's Lost Kingdoms 2. It isn't like Dark Souls (You can't fall off edges), but it is awesome.

Apollion

Scholar
The closest I can think of in terms of atmosphere and difficulty would maybe be the Gothic series. It also remind me a bit of that certain type of first person rpg that the elder scrolls series could never quite reach the level of, games like Arx Fatalis, Ultima Underworld I & II. Someone already mentioned the King's Field games on the PS1/2 (including Shadow Tower games), they deserve a second mention though, very unique titles. Any incarnation of Mount & Blade is also a great idea if you just want a game with satisfying combat.

I wish they'd release Demon Souls on 360/PC. I wish I could say this game is worth buying a 360 for, but there are so few other exclusive 360 titles worth mentioning. I don't regret buying one myself (got a good deal), but as a PC gamer the PS3 would have been a better option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom