Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Games Keeping Files in Different Directories

Luzur

Good Sir
i dont like it all since C: is my windows-only cave while D: is my games/programs fortress.

J1M

Arcane
This problem never used to exist. Blame is on non-admin users catching too many viruses and demanding that they not be able to change the contents of their install directories.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
True.

Microsofts idea of C:\Documents and Settings\.. is also not really smart because most people have partitions.

made

Arcane
Yeah this pisses me off to no end. Start of the year I had like 5gigs free on the Windows partition. Now it's constantly full and I have nfc why. I have to run CCCleaner every other day to free up some 300mb so I can use the PC at all. Glorious Amiga OS 3.1 occupied only 10mb on the harddrive, and it was faster to boot (literally).

Luzur

Good Sir
Yeah this pisses me off to no end. Start of the year I had like 5gigs free on the Windows partition. Now it's constantly full and I have nfc why. I have to run CCCleaner every other day to free up some 300mb so I can use the PC at all. Glorious Amiga OS 3.1 occupied only 10mb on the harddrive, and it was faster to boot (literally).

ive starting to get to that point too, but not quite yet.

fucking bloat windows yet necessary to play shit.

DraQ

Arcane
I think it's a shitty, inconsistent, half assed attempt to ape Linux gone bad.

The problem is that games spread their files all over the fucking place so finding where particular game stores what amounts to extended guesswork and throwing around a lot of invectives.

Plus, I don't really think that games should behave as your typical multi-user app. Portability of the entire filebase seems like much more important advantage with games.

J1M

Arcane
Portable programs make a lot of sense. The only problem with that is that a program needs admin rights to modify the install directory files. So you lose customers or end up forcing saves on the cloud.

laclongquan

Arcane
Assign My Documents to another partition
---Fuck those game that use ANOTHER folder in those document settings\* . I have to hunt them down, but sometimes I forget and it bloated my C.
Assign Office updates to another partition
Assign Windows updates to another partition.

Fewww. Now my C is nearly safe to leave alone.

Destroid

Arcane
Virtual folders don't seem to play nicely with windows indexing and search either, and end up as a laggy mess. This is especially bad if your virtual folders are full of media files which windows must investigate, generate previews and the like for.

EDIT: I guess it's no quite the same thing as the OP was complaining about, but a related issue that was pissing me off recently. Off to linux I go!

made

Arcane
http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/
Cool, I'll check it out. Though I've solved the problem by installing win7 64 on a fresh 100gig partition. That should do for a while.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/
Cool, I'll check it out. Though I've solved the problem by installing win7 64 on a fresh 100gig partition. That should do for a while.
An alternative could be the WinDirStat. I highly recommend it, worked wonders for someone who has only 5 gig of free space.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom