Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Game Shilling on Codex: Accepted or Not?

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
why do people who use the word "shill" always use it wrong?

A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization. Shills can carry out their operations in the areas of media, journalism, marketing, confidence games, or other business areas. A shill may also act to discredit opponents or critics of the person or organization in which they have a vested interest through character assassination or other means.

Why do you have such defective learning ability?

Black

Arcane
This is what happens when there's no news and games to autism about. The pressure builds up and Codexers asplode. Just like every man needs a release so does every true rpg autist.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Somebody needs to investigate all these people with Militiades avatar. I wouldn't be surprised if they went to some alley expecting a good deal, only to end up being forced to shill.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Stop putting effort in to this nonsense and go spread the word about the #Deadfire campaign. Drive more backers there so we can all enjoy more #FulvanosVoyage, thank you.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization.

It pretty much covers the situation.
What close relationship? Are they working for us? No. Did we ask them to spread awareness? No. They are enthusiastic fans who happened to like AoD a lot. I'm sorry that it bothers you a LOT, but that's all there's to it.

1) They are part of you testing group which implies that you have off-forum conversations with them (mail, messenger and so on).
You can't be serious, right? I know playing detective is cool and all but what you're doing isn't healthy.

First, being a member of a testing group means access to a testing subforum where the testers can discuss things without spoiling others. Darth Roxor, Eyestabber, and the guys from RPG France had access to the same subforum. Creating that group was easier than giving them individual access. The group was created 2 weeks before DR release, so it's not some kinda long-term AoD promo operation you've busted. I don't need to have off-forum conversations with the testers.

Second, I've already explained why shilling doesn't work, so why the fuck would you think that I would want to recruit anyone to annoy you on the Codex of all places? I was one of the admins here, I have 25,000 posts, what makes you think I need anyone to promote the game here or elsewhere?

2) They used your forum to coordinate this kind of operation.

In fact in that thread Goral is spewing confidential information like this:

32858310325_e2b07d4d8e_o.png

How the fuck does he know that the game is not selling too well?
Really? Confidential info? I post frequent sales update on the Codex, there's Steamspy, and then there's the number of reviews on Steam which directly corresponds to the number of copies sold.

3) You were part of this operation - with intention or without intention.

32050629013_b6371e9762_o.png

He down-voted all the negative reviews regardless of the fact that they made sense or not. And you thanked him.
I thanked him for writing a positive review, which is a common courtesy. I've never asked anyone to downvote negative reviews (in fact the second top review right now is a negative one). When he asked what else he can do, instead of asking him to post on every forum he could find, I thanked him politely because we neither do it nor need it.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Goral has some kind of personal vendetta against Underrail and Styg on Steam forums.
As can be seen in this thread I have nothing against Styg and I've promoted his game on many occasions (including on Steam). You on the other hand are making some serious and unfounded allegations against Vault Dweller and are throwing shit at him because you're such a fanatic. You're also creating retarded threads like this one or the one in Underrail subforum which should be in Retardo land but for some reason they stay. How come you don't have a shitposter (and safe space and fanboy) tag(s) yet is beyond me.

You really think that when someone reads Goral's posts on the Codex they feel a strong and sudden urge to buy the game?
Ouch.:lol:
There is no "ouch" here on my side, the only "ouch" is on toro's side, he genuinely believes that by posting "AoD is better" I somehow harm Styg :D. Correct me if I'm wrong, but creating whole two threads about me (tl;dr version) just because I prefer Age of Decadence indicates some serious butthurt and mental instability. I mean, he's wasting his time on searching through my posts trying to fit them into some conspiracy theory, WTF? :lol:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Idk what's with this facade when you've been here for almost a decade but most of your posts are defending, praising, spreading the gospel of AoD.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
People irrationally see niche products as zero-sum, but they're not. UR and AOD are not fighting for a finite share of players; neither game is capturing even a fraction of the total available players. Every marginal player drawn into not-glossy, negative-outcome-heavy RPGs by either game is a customer for the other. Neither game is so all-consuming (like, say, a MOBA or FPS) that it can occupy all of its players' gaming time. Once they're done with one, they'll play the other, or they won't, but the "won't" isn't a result of spending the last of scarce resources on AOD or UR.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Idk what's with this facade when you've been here for almost a decade but most of your posts are defending, praising, spreading the gospel of AoD.
Maybe because before 2014 there were no RPGs worth praising? And the rest I didn't like THAT much. FYI I've registered on this forum because of Fallout 3 (only site with sensible opinions about it), although I've been lurking here a bit earlier.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So, having read this thread, you all mean to tell me that there are people who like a game so much that they go stupid for it?

This is news to me and totally surprising. Tell me more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom