Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fucking Ultima II Man

ever

Scholar
Interesting fact: In the days of Ultima Online there was a festival of pride at some point and Magincians won ( true to Ultima lore ). Only the game masters never bothered to spawn a million demons to destroy the city.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Hmm, so I'm having trouble tracking down the stones. I've explored Despise and Hythloth, and neither of them had anything special in them, although Hythloth came with a hot air balloon at the end. I'm still not entirely clear what I need the stones for other than that Lord British has told me to get them.

MMXI

Arcane
Sorry but you've messed up. Despise does have a stone in it. It's on level 5. There are three dungeon rooms next to each other going from east to west. North of the middle one is the yellow stone. You need to do something in the dungeon room to activate a way through to it.

Hythloth doesn't have a stone. You are correct about that. It was actually stolen. On level 1, upon heading back up to the surface, just before you pop out to find the hot air balloon, you find an altar that the stone should be on, but the stone is missing. This should be indication enough.

Two stones aren't found in dungeons. The white stone of spirituality (as it was removed from Hythloth), and the black stone of humility (as there is no dungeon for humility).

- Mitre from Skara Brae should start the chain of clues leading to the discovery of the white stone. Follow them up.
- Splot from Magincia should start the chain of clues leading to the discovery of the black stone. Follow them up.

These are the first NPCs to mention those stones in normal conversation (without being referred to by anyone else in the game). I'm guessing you missed those NPCs entirely. Also, meditating three times successfully at the shrines of spirituality and humility should give you clues as to the whereabouts of the white and black stones respectively.

MMXI

Arcane
For information about the actual uses of the stones, talk to the following people. They should lead you on chains of referrals to actual clues on the uses of stones. In other words, these people are the "start" of "quests" and not just the end.

- A ranger in Serpent's Hold.
- Tymus at the Lycaeum (answer his question correctly).
- Zajac at the Lucaeum (type in the word he gives when you ask him about his "health")
- Bengrod in Jhelom.
- Tyrone in Moonglow (though the word you need to type to trigger this is a bit annoying, he says the word to you when asking about his "job", though the word is used in a different context)
- Gimble in Minoc (should start you on the quest for the rune of sacrifice, which should also lead you on the quest for the stone of sacrifice, with a certain NPC in town telling you the use of the stone)

Out of all those, by far the most important clue is the one led to by Zajac at the Lycaeum.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

So I'm on the fifth level of the Abyss and have entered a room with 9!! reapers in it. They just keep sleeping me, never giving my party a chance to attack. I've literally been sitting here a half-hour and i've only killed two mobs, and none of the reapers.

Don't let it end like this...

MMXI

Arcane
Poison field your own characters. Only one status effect at once. That way you can't be slept.

MMXI

Arcane
The Abyss is much easier once you've mapped it. I had no problem going through it once, mapping it all out, taking my time, repeating rooms when backtracking, and succeeding. Though, my party did consist of all level eights and I made sure to mix 99 of every single spell in the game (unfortunately the spells scroll off the screen when you get past 20 or so different types).

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I've got a stack of like 80 peer gems, so no problems on the mapping front. I wasn't having any trouble at all up until this one room. Now everything has come to a screeching halt.

MMXI

Arcane
Does negate magic work on the reapers? If so, keep spamming it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I've actually managed to get through this room without knowing about the poison bug/feature. It'll take some patience though.

MMXI

Arcane
I didn't use that bug either, but again, my party members were high level with maximum statistics. It did take a long time, yes. But the reapers didn't do enough damage to really worry me.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I was reading that RPG Addict blog about U4. Guy said it took him 45 mins to clear that one room.

Instead of fighting can you just try to run through?

MMXI

Arcane
oldmanpaco said:
I was reading that RPG Addict blog about U4. Guy said it took him 45 mins to clear that one room.

Instead of fighting can you just try to run through?
Well, I can tell you that you don't lose any virtue from backing out of dungeon rooms. So yes, if the way is clear, it is an option.

MMXI

Arcane
Alright. Expect no more help from me. I'm currently on Ultima V on my latest playthrough. No doubt you'll overtake me. I don't want to dig up memories/old notes about what's up next for fear of demotivating my own gaming. I'll help you in terms of game mechanics for Ultima V but that's the limit!

:rpgcodex:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO 5 IS THE PINNACLE OF THE SERIES IN MANY WAYS BECAUSE IT WAS A GIANT IMPROVEMENT OVER 4 BUT WITHOUT LOSING ANYTING

IE 6 AND 7 DID LOTS OF THINGS BETTER BUT EACH DID SOME THINGS WORSE LIKE WORLD SIZE AND VIEWING AREA IN 6 AND COMBAT IN 7

IN ULTIMA 4 I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE POISON BUG AND GOT MAD AS FUCK FIGHTING BALROGS AND REAPERS BUT I DID USE A DUNGEON MAP I WAS NOT BRO ENOUGH TO MAP THE DUNGEONS MYSELF

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
ALSO BROS ULTIMA 5 I CONSIDER ONE OF THE BEST RPGS EVER AND DEFINITELY THE MOST UNDERRATED HERE AT THE CODEX

ever

Scholar
The world's in Ultima VI and VII had more detail than V ( *everything* was detailed at the Ultima V towne leve in the latter two ) so I would say they were larger.

Nevertheless Ultima V's world definitely *feels* the largest cause of the different scales of view.

Nex

Cipher
BLOBERT said:
ALSO BROS ULTIMA 5 I CONSIDER ONE OF THE BEST RPGS EVER AND DEFINITELY THE MOST UNDERRATED HERE AT THE CODEX

I object. Clearly Ultima V is most underrated here at the codex, but it is also one I consider the best ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom