Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fuck Dragon Age 3, this thread is now about RPG stat systems

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That it works is undeniable, Fallout is my favourite RPG and the SPECIAL system never had a negative impact on my enjoyment. but there's a difference between "it works" and "excellent".

But I must say I love the concept of action points. I can give you several reasons that should come by as NOT relative to my tastes.
Do list them!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Shrek logic: Go into a thread, saying the debate is irrelevant and illogical. Procede to participate vigorously in that debate.

Rhalle

Magister
From what I remember, DA:O looked a lot like WoW the last time I had played it (during BC), except reduced and slightly dumber.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It played nothing like WoW. People just saw the ability-cooldowns and went "LOL WOW FAGGOTRY."

The cooldowns were faggotry... but it played nothing like WoW.

Rhalle

Magister
NWN with WoW-like skill trees and far less complexity and versatility? Would you say that was fair?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
NWN with WoW-like skill trees and far less complexity and versatility? Would you say that was fair?

It's much closer to BG2 than to NWN, and it isn't really that close to BG2... I dunno man. Felt like a BG2 that borrowed to many shitty ideas from NWN and a bit from WoW and the design of 4th edition. It was ultimately quite servicable and a good game, but its potential was spades larger than what it ended up as.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It played nothing like WoW. People just saw the ability-cooldowns and went "LOL WOW FAGGOTRY."

Don't forget threat management. Straight out of WoW. Not to mention the Tank/DPS/healer trinity.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

Although, maybe the WOW faggotry of the cooldowns was overwhelmed by the natural DA:O faggotry? After all, what can change the faggotry of a game?

unless they are at long last going to explore the whole Black Citadel deal

Oh fuck, I hadn't even thought of that. They almost certainly will send you into the Black Citadel at some point. Not sure why I didn't think of that, I mean its just so EPIC, how could they resist?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't remember hiver being that dumb.

Don't forget threat management. Straight out of WoW. Not to mention the Tank/DPS/healer trinity.
I'm almost positive WoW wasn't the first game with threat management. It probably helped make the concept popular, though.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think threat management is a reasonable solution to the problem of squishy mages and backstabbing rogues.

In a turn-based, tile-based game you have far more time and freedom to protect your party properly, but in Dragon Age, with its fully 3D environments and faster-paced combat, simply having enemies rush your mages instantly is just not fun and rarely would give you a chance to use them. The point of threat management is to let your mages get some time to use their attacks, as well as to give warriors something to do from time to time other than auto-attack, and rogues can't just backstab endlessly because an enemy locked on to someone else.

It's not necessarily the most realistic solution and can probably be too easily gamed if you learn it well enough, but it does largely solve what could be bigger problems and keeps the game entertaining. Sometimes 100% realistic and intelligent AI is not always great to have.

I disliked the cooldowns for my own personal reasons, but they admittedly did work in the context of the combat system.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
No I dont think so...the whole conflict between the Templars and the Mages might have huge ramifications on the game but I dont get the feel it will be a "muahhh you are doing my bidding Snake" kind of deal, unless they are at long last going to explore the whole Black Citadel deal
people are confusing (and oft complaining that) the whole Inquisition thing has something to do with the Mages/Templar bullshit...it isn't the case.

The mage/templar war is just the backdrop, the stuff happening all around you...the Inquisition itself, which your PC is the supposed head of, is meant to uncover an underlying plot that is conspiring to destroy the status quo of the Dragon Age world.

This was all info that was leaked months ago by some german marketing research firm (iirc) before the name Dragon Age: Inquisition was even announced...they even leaked what a few of the companions would be a.k.a some Qunari She-devil, a Tevinter Magister, Grey Warden guy, Cassandra from DA2 ending and that faggot Templar Cullen as per the fangirl demands.

I don't remember what else but I suppose if you like to swim in shit there is always the BSN you can dive into to find the info thread.

visions

Arcane
DA:O felt like KotOR with swords more than any other BioWare game. The top-down camera was almost completely useless as well.

In several bigger fights the the enemies who were quite far from you often were out of the camera from the top-down angle but still visible at the edge of the viewable area with the camera closer.

Due to this, I mostly held the camera close, only occasionally zoomed it out when things became somewhat of a clusterfuck up close. Basically I got the impression that it was best to alternate between the camera distances, the "tactical" top-down view wasn't neccessarily better for managing combats.

Telengard

Arcane

Not to mention a certain commonality in UI design - the placement of mini-map, icons, portraits, camera. Plus a certain commonality in the manner a player controls the actions in combat - the system of selecting the enemy and selecting special attacks chosen from the toolbar. Plus plus the quest board, and the type of quests found in them.

1748861-2011_04_01_00007.jpg

Dragon Age Origins gameplay UI Witch Hunt

wow-guide-11.jpg

WOW Quest Giver

There are plenty of differences between the two, but neither is it a shocking comparison for someone to draw when they see the two in action.

kris

Arcane
I found the DA O combat to be a very modernized version of the Ininity engine, and as such perfectly good for it´s purpose. For the record I did like Dragon Age Origins quite a bit; I rather play a game that get alot of things right (although nothing spectaculary right) with good combat and a good system behind it rather than a game with awesome story, setting and whatever but with frustrating combat system. Put of my like for DA O I had nothing to do with DA2....and to be honest I am lighting a candle that DA3 is at least playable; the premise sounds interesting at least and far from the "save the world" crap

You lost me there. So you first say you rather have a game with good combat and good systems instead of a great story, then you say you have hope for DA3 as long as the story is good. While the combat only needs to be passable.

Seems like you will accept anything as long as some part of it is good. I would suggest they use DAO as basis and then improve on the story and quests. I can think of more improvements of course, but with that we would have a good basis and game at least.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Not to mention a certain commonality in UI design - the placement of mini-map, icons, portraits, camera. Plus a certain commonality in the manner a player controls the actions in combat - the system of selecting the enemy and selecting special attacks chosen from the toolbar. Plus plus the quest board, and the type of quests found in them.
Good UI design is good UI design. Who gives a shit if it came from World of Warcraft? Also: World of Warcraft didn't invent quickbars and mini-maps. Just saying.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
The 'roles' aka tank/dps/shit like that are the fault of Evershit. Ultima Online never had these shit distinctions, because UO was not exactly balanced (high level mages could rape a warrior) which is the paradigm MMOs need to return to if they have any hope of surviving.

TOR has shown people no longer enjoy the current MMO paradigms.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom