Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon - parodic fantasy turn-based blobber

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
No matter what people pretends to be here, theres hardly any fan of old school type games, then amongst the old school fans we are divided in two ,the enlightnened ultima philosophers and the mondblutian conservative school of blobbing.

Can I be something in between? Also, lol at "ultima philosophers".

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
flayed.gif

Sorry mang, couldn't help myself.
What the fuck is this :D ?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This is the only Frayed Knights thread in recent times and this is the rather cool response it gets?

A lot of you guys are Wizardry 8 fans. Frayed Knights is based exactly on the style of Wizardry 8 and that game had a pretty huge fan base here. So the closest thing to that game in over a decade, and a fair share of posters do not care? And the reasons they cite are a) the bad humour and b) the bad graphics. Do they really matter

Disregarding bad humour and graphics, does anyone have any substantial gameplay critique to make, and any recommendation based on gameplay alone?

Are you disregarding my complaint about transparancy in the rules system arbitrarily or?

It pretty much invalidates the game for me. Leveling up is just picking more or less blindly, and you have no idea how stuff interacts with other stuff.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
If you're a Wizardry fan you play Dark Spire, not Fried Turds lol. Also as much as I usually hate story/setting fags, the presentation and writing in this game basically equals to shitting on your product and then telling everybody about it pretending that it's somehow a cool feature.

Mortmal

Arcane
No matter what people pretends to be here, theres hardly any fan of old school type games, then amongst the old school fans we are divided in two ,the enlightnened ultima philosophers and the mondblutian conservative school of blobbing.

Can I be something in between? Also, lol at "ultima philosophers".

Theres no such thing as "between" on the codex, a game is best since arcanum or shit, you play pc OR consoles, suggesting you might enjoy multiple genres on multiple platforms is a big taboo here, incest is more widely accepted here. The evidence ? What was best rpg of year 2011 ? no winner announced , cause its a an action rpg AND on console , accepting this would ruin the little sanity left they have.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hmmm, so it has long loading times, it has pre-made characters whom you can't customize, it has opaque and obtuse rules, and it leaves you in the blind without explaining how the game works. Okay, so I guess these are legitimate complaints.

Gord

Arcane
I've played through it recently and am contemplating whether to write a small review.
Overall I had fun with it, it might not be GOTY 2011, but it was good enough to me.
Got it cheap on Desura during the "Because we may" sale, the full price seemed too expensive to me.

As to the various points raised here:
Pre-made characters: this is indeed true. Not a big deal on your first play-through, but it does reduce replayability, but:
Characters you can't customize: This isn't true. You can make each character learn every skill. The fighter (Ariana) will still be better at fighting, the caster (Chloe) better at casting, but basically both can learn the other's skills. So at least in skilling them you do have quite some freedom. Whether that all makes sense is up to you to decide, however.
Loading times: Yes, pretty long. Only really an issue when you have to change the maps multiple times though in quick succession, but how often that happens depends a bit on how you are playing. Aggravated by the stupid engine which refuses to load when the game is in the background.
Obscure rules: Unfortunately true to some extend. Biggest complaint is that the in-game documentation (i.e. the descriptions of skills and spells) is lacking. Some rules and effects are described in greater detail in the manual and the (free) strategy guide, however.

One thing you shouldn't forget is, there's a demo available that contains the first dungeon and offers a pretty good idea on what to expect. If you are at all interested in the game, get the demo.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just finished this game and wanted to throw in my own comments.

- I actually did like the inter-party banter. I felt the four adventurers personalities were pretty fleshed out. This added to the overall feel of the game. The four pre-made characters start out with mediocre stats and builds. You have a fighter who can hit hard, but rarely connects. A rogue who fails most of his trap disarming and is only fair in a fight. A cleric who is a poor melee fighter, made worse as he stands in the back row; he also can't turn undead, though his contemporaries can. And a sorceress who specializes in damaging spells, but is better off buffing because her magic doesn't pack a strong punch. You start off barely capable, but as you learn the game and build your characters as they level you become pretty formidable. The ending was quite easy for me in comparison to the beginning and middle of the game. On one hand that was disappointing. On the other, it was a gift to me as I did take time to do the side quests, max out my levels, and gather some great items. I did waste some of my character points on skills/attributes/etc that could have went elsewhere, but in the end my fighter hit hard and often, my rogue used a magic bow and did plenty of deadly sneak attacks, my priest had a good mix of buff and healing spells, and my sorceress used up her mana quickly but to quite deadly effect. My Frayed Knights ended up pretty badass in combat, while in conversation other adventuring parties actually started giving them some respect.

- The graphics were a mixed bag. The spell effects and descriptions might have been goofy or humorous, but they looked great. I liked Boot to the Head especially, where numerous boots would magically appear to kick an enemy in the head. Again, it looked great. The character portraits were also solid for the four characters, along with various facial expressions. But the rest of the game looked mediocre to bad. The enemies were monstrous enough, but the villagers looked hideous.

- Gameplay was pretty good. It was turn-based, which is a plus. The puzzles were numerous and clever, with many having multiple solutions. If I have a complaint, it is with the search command. I didn't like its how you had to search multiple times with a computer response that told you whether or not you were getting warmer or colder, but the treasure was in such a tiny location that it would take many tries to find the treasure. Each time you searched you had a good chance of attracting a random encounter. Quite annoying.

- I would recommend this as a buy, though I did not pay full price. I got it for half price on a sale and have no regrets. I am interested in what changes may lie for us in Frayed Knights 2.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah I bought it today.

The Stamina mechanic is..... interesting. The level up system is pretty fucking sweet.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think you're just a sperg, Grunker. It's nowhere as bad as you make it appear.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think you're just a sperg, Grunker. It's nowhere as bad as you make it appear.

No explanation of any rules in the character system or any of the underlying mechanics that govern combat equals pretty shitty documentation in my mind. There wasn't even a superficial explanation of the To Hit formula back when I played it. Want to take two-weapon fighting? Well, go ahead and pick it blindly, 'cause you'll have no idea what the actual effects are. Same with every other trait.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It's three-page topic, bro...

I know about the strategy guide, and as much I'd love to read it, I really don't care to get my build handed to me. All I want are the rules, let me figure out the rest for myself.

I picked the strategy guide up when it was released, but the rules are mixed in with advice and hints, so I shut it quickly.

Gord

Arcane
It can be something of an issue, yes. Esp. as the explanations to the rules are spread out over about 3 different places (manual, strategy guide, a bit ingame).
If you work through them you get a good general idea, but many details are still missing.
E.g. I would have liked to know the formulas for the different spells. When is a higher level spell better and when should I use a buffed low-level spell?
So if you are somewhat on the autistic side in wanting to know exactly what every skill and attribute does and the exact formula for how they all come together - tough luck.

I still think the game is worth playing though, esp. as many mechanics (e.g. drama stars, stamina and exhaustion) are interesting.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It can be something of an issue, yes. Esp. as the explanations to the rules are spread out over about 3 different places (manual, strategy guide, a bit ingame).
If you work through them you get a good general idea, but many details are still missing.
E.g. I would have liked to know the formulas for the different spells. When is a higher level spell better and when should I use a buffed low-level spell?
So if you are somewhat on the autistic side in wanting to know exactly what every skill and attribute does and the exact formula for how they all come together - tough luck.

I still think the game is worth playing though, esp. as many mechanics (e.g. drama stars, stamina and exhaustion) are interesting.

It is now 'sperging and autistic to want to know the rules of a game you're playing.

Renevent

Cipher
The silly humor/characters makes it a no-go for me...I've never really enjoyed RPG's like this. Glad you enjoyed it though :)

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think part of the fun for a game is discovering the game mechanics and the formulas on your own.

I don't want to study a manual, I just want to play a game and do trial and error.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think part of the fun for a game is discovering the game mechanics and the formulas on your own.

I don't want to study a manual, I just want to play a game and do trial and error.

wut

Trial-and-error is "test, doesn't work, change." You can't change choices in a character system made seven levels ago unless you have some sort of (usually gay) respec system.

Documentation is pretty much alpha-omega for RPG systems for that reason.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think that was why the other guy made an aspergers reference.

If one non-optimal game decision ruins a game for you then there is a likelihood you are a min/max aspergers type of player.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If one non-optimal game decision ruins a game for you then there is a likelihood you are a min/max aspergers type of player.

Great strawman buddy. I've never said anything like it. I would just like to be able to choose on an informed basis. In Frayed Knights you're literally picking blindly and hoping for the best. You don't even know basics like To Hit mechanics.

How the fuck you turn a request into knowing the basic rules for the game in a question of "everything must be perfect" beats the hell out of me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom