Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon - parodic fantasy turn-based blobber

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I know about the strategy guide, and as much I'd love to read it, I really don't care to get my build handed to me. All I want are the rules, let me figure out the rest for myself.

I picked the strategy guide up when it was released, but the rules are mixed in with advice and hits, so I shut it quickly.

spectre

Arcane
How about the premade chars. Is it still possible to try out different builds and approaches with them?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yes. They are only "premade" in so far as they have base role (which can be changed due to the game's system). So they're not really that premade.

Gord

Arcane
I played the demo and liked it.
Humor didn't bother me. It doesn't take itself seriously and I never got the feeling that I should, either.

I can understand that some people don't like that, but once in a while I'm fine with it.

The reason I haven't bought it though, is simply that I didn't want to spend 25 bucks on it.
I think 25 is just a bad price point for an indie game.

Make it 15 and I'll buy.

Emily

Arcane
i just couldnt stand the humor and the overall "funny" side of the game
It is just to childish and puts me off right away. Cant even get into that sort of thing.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Lots of people ITT who's on the wagon against the grafix whores but can't recognize good gameplay because it has some lulzy shit you're free to ignore.

I mean, you people could cope with Wizardry VIII's hilarious world but Frayed Knight turns you off?

Emily

Arcane
i hate any game that has "funny" nature. I cant ignore stuff like that.
It comes down to, what is my motivation for playing this game, for clearing that dungeon, for trying to be serous in a game. If game starts trowing you some lulzy stuff all imersion is ruined, and with it all the lore, and with it any sense that u have to do the main quests or whatever.
In some games it is bearable, but in frayed knights, the minute u go to town,and those guys start talking such noncense, trying to be funny, especialy that priest which is trying to play the "sexy guy" or whatever, i just ragequited right there

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I cant ignore stuff like that.

I hate when games have red dresses in them. Fuck the gameplay.

This game isn't played for "immersion", it's played to whack things with your weaponry until it dies, level up, and whack some more stuff.

If that doesn't do it for you, well, then what are you doing in a thread about a 3D-blobber?

Morkar Left

Blobber. Humorous setting. Thanks, I'll pass.

Have you tried the demo?

You will never fight against hordes of enemies or something like that. If I remember right the max number of enemies per encounter is 8 and you are not running into one every step. You can even avoid running into patrols. I would even say it has one of the best combat encounter rate available. You have to fight in dungeons many times but you get never flooded by enemies like in Wizardy or M&M. Fatigue management is far more important.

And what Darth Roxor said.

If you haven't played the demo you should give it a try. But if you have and you are still not liking it you will never like it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Surprisingly Chrono Trigger, and Star Ocean are still nice, with advanced filtering, Avernum 1 is still so so because it has sufficiently distant viewpoint, but the terrain and environments in FK are really bad. Even when I started with OpenGL I knew how to make better stuff, and then I did some research in a geomorphing, so I know he could spend few months to write at least some procedural generation when he don't have small team at his disposal.

Naw FK needs someone who can draw, and that terrain and city are simply inexcusable.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Have you tried the demo?

Nope. Unfortunately blobber combat is sort of deal-breaker for me. Give me anything with actual grid-based movement instead.

And "humorous setting" is like a nail to the coffin. As if there was enough "serious" fantasy games these days.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Lots of people ITT who's on the wagon against the grafix whores but can't recognize good gameplay because it has some lulzy shit you're free to ignore.

I mean, you people could cope with Wizardry VIII's hilarious world but Frayed Knight turns you off?

Everyone agrees that writing in video games is usually not good.

Humor is a form of writing. It's a form of writing that is extra difficult to do well and that tends to be polarizing even when it is done well.

If mediocre humor is prominently featured in a game, this is something that can reasonably irritate people.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I had fun with it. It's not the most amazing game by any means but it's fun, has good exploration, combat is about as strategic as it can be for a blobber, and it has a lot less grindy, repetitive battles, with more emphasis on survival in the long term, conserving strength for difficult encounters etc. It does outstay its welcome a little (I would have been fine with 20 hours instead of 30ish) but otherwise, few complaints. Yeah, it's ugly and it has a very "webcomicy" style of humour. Neither of those bothered me.

Morkar Left

Have you tried the demo?

Nope. Unfortunately blobber combat is sort of deal-breaker for me. Give me anything with actual grid-based movement instead.

And "humorous setting" is like a nail to the coffin. As if there was enough "serious" fantasy games these days.

Seriously, give the demo a try. The demo doesn't last long and gives you a good impression of the combat. The combat is not JA2 but more tactical than say Fallout.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
This is the only Frayed Knights thread in recent times and this is the rather cool response it gets?

A lot of you guys are Wizardry 8 fans. Frayed Knights is based exactly on the style of Wizardry 8 and that game had a pretty huge fan base here. So the closest thing to that game in over a decade, and a fair share of posters do not care? And the reasons they cite are a) the bad humour and b) the bad graphics. Do they really matter

Disregarding bad humour and graphics, does anyone have any substantial gameplay critique to make, and any recommendation based on gameplay alone?

Mortmal

Arcane
No matter what people pretends to be here, theres hardly any fan of old school type games, then amongst the old school fans we are divided in two ,the enlightnened ultima philosophers and the mondblutian conservative school of blobbing. Even if you are a big fan of blobblers, the humorous style of frayed knights is a killer, but even without that, speaking of the gameplay it doesnt have character creations and clearly not beating wizardry 8 or 7 on anything. Thats why you will see few threads and liltte to no interest.
No matter how sympathic the guy is behind that, its just an average game , it pales compared to the classics.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ridiculously long loading times took away my motivation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom