Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First time playing Daggerfall

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
I thought the link and the suggestion was a bad idea, but HEY, who cares? :)

I liked the crpgnut post though.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Well, RPGCodex is a public forum, and Bethesda Softworks has not released Daggerfall to the public domain or abandoned it. So downloading it would be a violation of copyright law -- but doing just that is being discussed openly. Just seems ill-advised, is all. I'd have made the same comment about open discussion of dowloading ANY game that wasn't in the public domain.

Drakron

Arcane
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Well, RPGCodex is a public forum ...

No, its a private forum since private owned and operated.

Do not confuse the open displayed forums as it being public, in fact there is nothing public in the Internet besides I think goverment sites.

Jora

Arcane
My apologies to everyone offended by my inquiries. And my thanks to One Wolf.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Come on Drakron, that's semantics. By public I mean that anyone can come in & read the posts, whether they register or not. That includes people with the power to subpoena subscriber IP's from the website's owners. I doubt anyone's going to DO that, but honestly, why take the chance, when there are other means of communication that are much more private?

Rulion

Liturgist
How the heck did this thread get so sidetracked?

Anyway, the sprites are no longer hyperactive little monkeys. Thanks again for the help. Now, if I can go 10 mins without crashing to my desktop, everything would be great.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
It's common here. You're talking about an RPG and a few posts after you're in the middle of a political debate.

I'll post the config tomorrow morning.

Drakron

Arcane
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Come on Drakron, that's semantics ...

No, its not ... there are diferences of public and private, for example there is no right of freedom of speech on private own and operated forums.

If this was about directly providing the files they would have a case but adding a link to what is simply a Torrent search engine saying you might find it there is no diferent that someone adding a link to google and say to run a seach.

For amusement, a swedish site:

http://thepiratebay.org/legal.php

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
I'm one of those awful pirates who just downloaded it recently. But my bad karma from that horrific act has prevented me from getting it installed. Using DosBox to use the original Daggerfall installer it says that file data\font0000.fnt is missing, when it is most certainly not. When using the windows installer dfinstall.exe (located in c:\games\daggerfall\The Elder Scrolls II - Daggerfall), which claims that it can install from a complete copy of the cd on the hard-drive, it states that the CD drive is invalid and if I am creating a new folder to install the game, like c:\dagger it creates the new empty folder c:\games\daggerfall\The Elder Scrolls II - Daggerfall\dagger. Assuming that it is treating c:\games\daggerfall\The Elder Scrolls II - Daggerfall as c:\ and then rewriting the CD path accordingly (instead of c:\games\daggerfall\The Elder Scrolls II - Daggerfall\daggerCD c:\daggerCD or daggerCD) results in the same thing. So let this be a lesson to you kids: crime doesn't always pay!

Jed

Cipher
Well if Bethesda won't sell the game, how do they expect people to play the damn thing? If you guys had any marketing saavy, you'd host the game for free yourselves to pump up the jam for Morrowind & Oblivion. If you're not making money directly from game sales, why not make them from garnering the good will of the gaming public?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Jed said:
Well if Bethesda won't sell the game, how do they expect people to play the damn thing?
Well, I guess they don't. It seems they don't care. Pretty strange imo, given the cult status of the game.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Drakron said:
Hell if I know ...

Besides who cares, RPG Codex is not hosting the files anyway ... what they are going to do? try to impose a censorship system in a PRIVATE forum?

Wow, you have a keen mind for international law.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Drakron said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Come on Drakron, that's semantics ...

No, its not ...

Yes it is.
You both meant different things by the same term, i.e. MSFD meant by "public forum" it was publically viewable without requiring membership, you meant something else; therefore - semantics. Look the word up in a dictionary.

Now you both know what you mean, whoopee.

[*BTW, most people within earshot think that "public forum" means what MSFD meant, rather than a question of ownership. They would defintely have tagged the word "owned" to the word to save confusion otherwise.]

Jed

Cipher
Elwro said:
Well, I guess they don't. It seems they don't care. Pretty strange imo, given the cult status of the game.
And that's a problem. If you don't give people a legitimate way to play your game, you're gonna have expect people to pirate it.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
They just released Arena for free this year (or maybe last?) on their site, so I'd assume they'll do the same for Daggerfall in a couple of years.

I'll agree that I wish publishers would have some download service for old games. But I have to wonder how profitable it would be since next to none are doing it. Though, Nintendo will have something like all of their NES games available for download for a price on the revolution, which I think is pretty damn cool (even though I'll probably never get a revolution or buy those NES games).

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Well, RPGCodex is a public forum, and Bethesda Softworks has not released Daggerfall to the public domain or abandoned it.
Come with me on a magical journey to the Land of Bethesda. Enter the Store of Doom and seek out the Magic Box of Daggerfall.

Can't find it? Odd that, for a game that hasn't been abandoned and all...

But wait! Our journey of Adventure and Fun is not over! Let us try at Our Local. Nope, not there either.

I am reminded at this point of that article about Amazon unearthed recently about how old books account for a lot of sales.

Anyways, I've pinged Bethesda's customer service guys an e-mail asking if they don't mind me pirating it seeing as how they've abandoned it.

Chefe

Erudite
I'd like LucasArts to re-release MI2. I've long since lost my copy and would like a hard-copy. I just can't bring myself to download the game, I've got too much respect for it. I can't find a good copy though, well, not a reasonably priced copy that is.

But anyways...

Daggerfall kicks RPG ass. Play it with joy, then look with dismay onto the Elder Scrolls future...

Sad turn of events.

Twinfalls

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Let us try at Our Local. Nope, not there either.

Oh my fucking god I'm in the same city as DU.

Rulion - you have D/L'd patch 2.13, right?

Hey! It's worth a mention ok......

Rulion

Liturgist
Twinfalls said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Let us try at Our Local. Nope, not there either.

Oh my fucking god I'm in the same city as DU.

Rulion - you have D/L'd patch 2.13, right?

Hey! It's worth a mention ok......
Yup. And everything is running flawlessly now after I found:
http://www.oblivionsource.com/?style=li ... view&id=34

I copied his config and it's all smooth - surprising, since I was convinced it was impossible for this game to be too stable on Windows 2k.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Right now I have a couple of power tools doing nothing but gathering dust. I haven't used them in years. However, I'm not about to call them public domain, because I might have a need for them in the future. So basically I'm siding with MSFD on this one. I think the line was especially crossed when somebody posted a link to a major pirating site.

Now, if somebody really wants to play Daggerfall, I'm not against them using the only means available to get it. Yet I think the argument that piracy doesn't hurt the industry is baloney. I know quite a few people who regularly download games to save money for things like beer. They like games enough that they'd pay for them should they have to, but if they can ge them for free, screw the developer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom