Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First time playing Daggerfall

Rulion

Liturgist
After all the raving reviews about this game, I decided to subject myself to the exhaustive process of attaining it. Now that I have it, I'm happy it runs on my OS. Sadly, though, I don't have any sound - attempting to make the game recognize my soundcard makes it crash. So I decided to play anyway; no subtitles for the cutscenes, sadly, but I think I got the general gist.

I've read up several websites on the skills and what they do, which classes are hard and which ones are easy. Since I wanted both the thief and warrior experience, I custom-made a cat person that doubled as both a fighter and a stealth-ninja. I'm fairly happy with the result. My character was kicking ass in the first dungeon. (though the imp screwed me up from time to time. That's what I get for taking a critical weakness to whatever the hell he kept casting)

I was wondering a few things that hopefully you experienced Daggerfall players could answer for me. First, does being male or female change the game dramatically? I know it modifies my attributes a little, but what about dialogue? Do I miss out on hot flirting by playing a female simply because I like undressing her? This is what interests me as a, uh, gamer. How do I sneak/backstab? The tutorial in the beginning blows ass, and I was out of the dungeon by the time it was telling me to try smacking a rat. Can you backstab with a longblade or only a shortblade? (I really hope you can do it with a longblade since I didn't tag short at all. I also have high luck, which is why I think I found a dai-something and a bunch of weapons that cost 2000+ each in the starter dungeon. I'd hate to restart and lose all my kewl loot)

So far, I'm kinda enjoying this game. The graphics are obviously a bit painful and I find myself getting sick after an hour or so of playing. I like the dialogue system: subject based, but I get to see my question be formed at the top. The combat seems a bit tedious and fast-paced, but that might be the way my fast computer is reacting with a game over 10 years old.

As of right now, I'm out of the hold and I travelled to Gothway Gardens, where I'm currently staring at all the townsfolk, wondering who to talk to, and failing every pickpocket attempt I try to make.

EDIT: Also, are there any recommended add-ons or mods that won't damage my game? I read something about "AndyFall" that seems pretty good, but I'm hesitant to install anything besides the game and official patches for fear that something will break.

Twinfalls

Erudite
You MUST try as hard as you can to get sound working, its atmospherics in the dungeons are good, but its the music that is absolutely stunning, my favourite overall soundtrack of all games, because of the quality of each track and the sheer quantity - different for place, time, season, etc. I'm running Windows ME and the game works fine straight from desktop with sound.

Also I use MoSlo with a setting of 55, because without slowdown software you'll get sprite jitters for NPCs and you will have real trouble with swimming and I think climbing.

Anyway, you can backstab with any blade I believe, just use the mouse in a forward-motion so the blade stabs forward. I think the only differences between genders is the initial stats which are minor and you can see them at the outset.

Addons: I only use the text/dialogue expansion, BrendanRSC1, which adds a lot more variety to text and is highly recommended.

bryce777

Erudite
I was wondering a few things that hopefully you experienced Daggerfall players could answer for me. First, does being male or female change the game dramatically? no

As for sneaking it is just automatic if you come up behind them, iirc.

Backstab works with any weapon.

Rulion

Liturgist
Twinfalls said:
Also I use MoSlo with a setting of 55, because without slowdown software you'll get sprite jitters for NPCs and you will have real trouble with swimming and I think climbing.
That explains why the spites look like they're having seizures until I get within smacking distance! It's only when they're close enough to attack that they stop turning around and spazzing out. I'll google this MoSlo program and see if that helps any.

Thanks for the reply!

Twinfalls

Erudite
Oh and the graphics really grow on you after a while. The artwork and design really holds up well now, take a walk or a ride through Wayrest, it is magnificent, feels like being in a real Bavarian medieval town.

Antagonist

Liturgist
You should try it with DOSBox. I think you might have a better chance getting the sound to work with it as it emulates a whole DOS computer including a soundcard. Additionaly it's easy to adjust the speed of the virtual CPU while it is running.

You should download a graphical frontend for it though unless you are into changing the config files manually. There are some listed on the DOSBox homepage (which is currently unavailable for me).

Revasser

Scholar
Antagonist said:
You should try it with DOSBox. I think you might have a better chance getting the sound to work with it as it emulates a whole DOS computer including a soundcard. Additionaly it's easy to adjust the speed of the virtual CPU while it is running.

You should download a graphical frontend for it though unless you are into changing the config files manually. There are some listed on the DOSBox homepage (which is currently unavailable for me).

DOSBox is good, but VDMSound is a better bet if the only real problems being encountered are sound problems. DOSBox is nice, but it can be annoying to configure and requires a very powerful system to run effectively.

<i>Edit:</i> <a href="http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=2071">VDMSound</a>

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
I use DosBox with D-Fend with Daggerfall and everything is just perfect!
I got sound too :)

...VEENGEEAAANCEEE...

Revasser

Scholar
Pr()ZaC said:

...VEENGEEAAANCEEE...

Really? I just can't seem to get the bastard running at playable speeds, most of the time, despite having a fairly powerful system. Probably just need some config tweaks, but I do prefer to run things more-or-less natively over using an emulator where possible, so I didn't really have a problem with all the hoops I had to jump through to get Daggerfall running under WinXP.

<i>Edit:</i> My typing sucks more than usual tonight.

Drakron

Arcane
You problem is you HAVE a powerful system, you need to use programs so its no longer a powerful system and something from 1990's.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
Revasser said:
Pr()ZaC said:

...VEENGEEAAANCEEE...

Really? I just can't seem to get the bastard running at playable speeds, most of the time, despite having a fairly powerful system. Probably just need some config tweaks, but I do prefer to run things more-or-less natively over using an emulator where possible, so I didn't really have a problem with all the hoops I had to jump through to get Daggerfall running under WinXP.

<i>Edit:</i> My typing sucks more than usual tonight.
I can send you the config of my settings if you want to.

nakanja

Novice
Rulion said:
As of right now, I'm out of the hold and I travelled to Gothway Gardens, where I'm currently staring at all the townsfolk, wondering who to talk to, and failing every pickpocket attempt I try to make.
A good bet if you're looking for something to do in the beginning is to go to an inkeeper; they usually have quests. Or ask anyone to point you towards work. I didn't find pickpocketing to be very effective, but attempting it is useful in that it can bring you to the attention of the Thieves' Guild if that's what you're looking for.

Don't worry about where to go with the main quest yet; that will come to you soon enough.

Jora

Arcane
Does anyone know an abandonware site from which Daggerfall can be downloaded?

Antagonist

Liturgist
About DOSBox

Try using the dynamic core instead of the normal one. It used to crash very often but it seems to be much more stable now and gives you acceptable speed. My machine is equipped with a meager Athlon XP 2000+ but I recently replayed UW2 with DOSBox and it ran rather fine.

D-Fend is a really nice front-end for DOSBox. It allows you to create unique configurations for each game which is quite handy.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Jora said:
Does anyone know an abandonware site from which Daggerfall can be downloaded?
Beth maintains it's not abandonware and had it pulled from several such sites. You can get copies from ebay, but they tend to sell quite expensive these days.

Rulion

Liturgist
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I'll download DOSbox and give it go since playing without sound in a little annoying. VDMSound might solve my problems, but I'm hesitant to use it if it damages critical system files on NT4. More than once I've found myself losing health and it turns out the culprit was a rat gnawing on my ankles, below the sight line. I'll try whatever I can to get sound.

Thanks for the suggestions with the plot, nakanja. I'll go to the inn once I've successfully pickpocketed one person. That's my goal for the day.

EDIT: mild edit for MSFD's approval. :)

Drakron

Arcane
Hell if I know ...

Besides who cares, RPG Codex is not hosting the files anyway ... what they are going to do? try to impose a censorship system in a PRIVATE forum?

crpgnut

Augur
Talk about a law that needs changing. Downloading a game that's 5+ years old shouldn't ever be considered piracy unless the game is being actively sold by a publisher. If libraries carried free copies of all older games that you could take out, this would be a good thing. Old games should be public domain once they're out of production.

In the case of Bethesda, if they'd just add Daggerfall cd's with a pdf of the manual to their little online shop, it's business might quintuple. People still want this game and are willing to pay a small price for it. Bethesda shouldn't be expected to have any technical support for such an old game and that should be made clear on the page.

Just my 2¢

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Drakron said:
Hell if I know ...

Besides who cares, RPG Codex is not hosting the files anyway ... what they are going to do? try to impose a censorship system in a PRIVATE forum?

I think he was just saying it's disrespectful. Not that it matters to most here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom