Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Deus Ex 3 Screens

Gerrard

Arcane
In regards to anime hair, any of you had contact with Cyberpunk 2020? You think this is anime hair? At least it doesn't change colors or glow in the dark.

MetalCraze said:
You are trying too hard
HA
HA HA

Data4

Arcane
Fuck it, I liked the trailer. Need to see gameplay, but the tone of the game was nicely set. I don't know if it's the sepia color palette or just the overall theme, but I see as much of a Bladerunner influence as I do GitS or similar anime. Besides, if I had to choose, I'd rather it be a quasi-realistic anime take as opposed to the big-eyed Sailor Moon pink and purple hair crap.

DraQ

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
DraQ said:
Attention Skyway:
I would like to adress your DX3 hate and accusations of it resembling anime.
Did you know there is about 98.3% probability that the original Deus Ex was in its entirety heavily influenced by Ghost in The Shell?

From specific terminology like "thermooptic camouflage", to protagonist merging with unexpectedly sentient AI.
Because, obviously, there was no sci fi with thermooptic camouflage and sentient AI before GITS.
Doesn't change how whole blocks of ideas have been copied from GITS to DX.

Here's a better example, although not really cyberpunk, but still sci fi. Battletech universe was obviously inspired by anime robots, however somehow it doesn't look like an anime faggotry.
Indeed and all for the better. Battletech big mecha aren't particularly sensible idea, but at least they are not as nosensical and stupid as thier typical anime equivalents.

Still, GITS (the first movie) makes rather worthy inspiration despite featuring small amounts of wapanese faggotry, in contrast with typical wapanese mecha flick.

In the end it's a matter of execution. In DX1 protagonist looks like a normal human, in DX3 he looks like a flaming faggot, who also has DEEP dreams about him being an angel, wears hand-blades, and that already leads to certain conclusions.
I don't draw conclusion from somewhat fagotty looks of the protagonist, nor do I know if his dreams were supposed to be "deep".
If he looked like some fuck from FF, I would probably conclude that the game has no chance of not being shit, but currently it looks infinitely better than about a year ago, where all we had was descriptions of some really cheesy sounding augs.

It may turn out shit, and I certainly won't buy it blindly, but for the first time I actually consider the possibility of being willing to buy it after it comes out.

MapMan

Arcane
66586807.jpg

75305452.jpg

13291270.jpg

44577856.jpg

43845668.jpg

18152466.jpg

Paperclip

Liturgist
MetalCraze said:
Here's a better example, although not really cyberpunk, but still sci fi. Battletech universe was obviously inspired by anime robots, however somehow it doesn't look like an anime faggotry. In the end it's a matter of execution.

"somehow it doesn't look like anime faggotry" = which aspect do you mean by this?

If its the look of the mechs, I read that in they had to abandon the Japanese mech look due to unfortunate circumtances:

The visual design of the earliest line of BattleMechs were taken from Macross and other anime, including many signature images. In later years FASA abandoned these images, and it was common speculation by fans that the decision was the result of a lawsuit brought against them by Playmates and Harmony Gold [USA] over the use of said images.[5] No official broke the silence until 2007, after FASA had sold the BattleTech intellectual property to WizKids Games. Under license from them, the Classic BattleTech line developer for Fantasy Productions, Randall N. Bills explained that FASA had sued Playmates over the use of images owned by FASA, but received no compensation, even though Playmates was ordered to stop using the images in question. After realizing how the use of licensed images made them vulnerable to lawsuits and afraid that such a suit would bankrupt the company, FASA made the decision to only use images owned by them and them alone. The BattleMechs taken from the various anime sources were then considered "Unseen".

In my opinion the early Japanese drawn mechs are definitely better looking than the majority of their works, though these have different flavor:

http://www.gearsonline.net/btech/mechs.php

The only non-japanese battletech artist whose works I like:

MadcatMkII.jpg
Bloodkite.jpg

DraQ said:
Indeed and all for the better. Battletech big mecha aren't particularly sensible idea, but at least they are not as nosensical and stupid as thier typical anime equivalents.

Still, GITS (the first movie) makes rather worthy inspiration despite featuring small amounts of wapanese faggotry, in contrast with typical wapanese mecha flick.

You must have already known that there are other Japanese mechas beside Gundam?

Oh yeah, BTW while we're discussing mechas, it's my duty to repost this:

http://flyingdebris.deviantart.com/
Rotary_cannons_for_some_by_flyingdebris.jpg

Wulfstand

Prophet
By the looks of the graphics, it seems a dual core 2.4, 1 gb vram, 2 gb ram system won't be enough to run this on minimum-medium. Guess I'll have to upgrade my system :(.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bloodkite.jpg

This one looks VERY vulnerable to damage. One hit in a place where it has rockets and BOOM!

MadcatMkII.jpg

This one is at least armored as well as it's weapons are - The only vulnerable part is cockpit

Paperclip

Liturgist
Konjad said:
Bloodkite.jpg

This one looks VERY vulnerable to damage. One hit in a place where it has rockets and BOOM!

MadcatMkII.jpg

This one is at least armored as well as it's weapons are - The only vulnerable part is cockpit

Iagree with you bro.

Suchy

Arcane
According to this preview, the game doesn't sound half bad. Apart from the retarded cover/autoheal system. And AP's style dialogues, but these can be saved by good writing.

Ermm

Erudite
They could just as well decanonize Deus Ex 2 and make this as a seguel. That would have been smarter choice.

P.S. I like that in the trailer in the end main hero breaks a hole in the wall, snaps that guy's neck and just walks away. Deserves some cool points.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
the people disappointed are those that look like ugly fucks who dont realise that REAL people (not untermensch) actually look like this in real life too.

zomg spiky hair! easily understandable that you would be shocked: hair gel is rarely found in a typical nerd's inventory, now is it?

people dont do it because its "anime" or some shit, you faggots. its because its actually fashionable and attractive. fucking virgins i swear.

Hory

Erudite
811731-deusex3_169803_super.jpg

No one fucking looks like that for the simple fact that you can't maintain long hair spiked horizontally at the tips. That said, I think it looks cool and not over the top. On the other hand, the in-game screenshot of the other guy looks like spiked for the sake of spiked metrosexual at work japanese faggotry.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Nice preview. Not sure about fapping to Deus Ex voice acting; as far as I can remember, it was beyond awful.

Suchy

Arcane
Nostradumbass said:
its because its actually fashionable and attractive.
Sure bro.
how-to-build-a-guido.jpg

Anime it is not though.

Hory said:
No one fucking looks like that for the simple fact that you can't maintain long hair spiked horizontally at the tips.
ambigiously-guido-duo.jpg

Anime faggotry vs. Guido douchebaggery
Which is better and why?

Data4

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
Nice preview. Not sure about fapping to Deus Ex voice acting; as far as I can remember, it was beyond awful.

I think it transcended awful and into the "so bad it's good" category. For me, it was part of the overall charm of the game. I especially loved the overdone gangsta-speak. I saw it as more of a piss-take than a representation of reality. Damn near Kodexian in it's mockery of thug livin'.

Ermm

Erudite
Actually he looks like some European DJ in those screens.

Not really anime-ish but certainly weird looking with that beard and and hairstyle for 40 year old man.

DraQ

Arcane
Suchy said:
Nostradumbass said:
its because its actually fashionable and attractive.
Sure bro.
how-to-build-a-guido.jpg

Anime it is not though.

Hory said:
No one fucking looks like that for the simple fact that you can't maintain long hair spiked horizontally at the tips.
ambigiously-guido-duo.jpg

Anime faggotry vs. Guido douchebaggery
Which is better and why?

If I had my way, looking this way in public would be grounds for immediate execution.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom