Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Finally playing fallout 3

Saxon1974

Prophet
While I agree with you guys about the personal nuke launcher being stupid and random other assorted stupid things, I have to admit something.

I like Fallout 3.

BLASPHEMY! :shock:

Granted its definitely heavy in the ACTION-rpg department, but I have been playing it for a few days and Im really enjoying it.

Without the XFO mod I probably wouldn't have liked it though. This mod makes ammo scarce and the game more difficult. Surviving the Wasteland with this mod is difficult and challenging.

I thought the Paradise Falls area was pretty cool and the Family Being Vampires was decent.

I do still think the world is too populated for a post-apoc world and I dont understand why everyone in the wasteland instantly starts shooting when they see you.

Yes it has many flaws and I dont like it as much and Fallout 1 or 2, but I am enjoying it.

My opinion might change when I play more of it though.

Squirly

Educated
Saxon1974 said:
Without the XFO mod I probably wouldn't have liked it though. This mod makes ammo scarce and the game more difficult. Surviving the Wasteland with this mod is difficult and challenging.

I thought the Paradise Falls area was pretty cool ...

I do still think the world is too populated for a post-apoc world and I dont understand why everyone in the wasteland instantly starts shooting when they see you.

Yes it has many flaws and I dont like it as much and Fallout 1 or 2, but I am enjoying it.

This I agree with. I enjoyed F3 mostly because I didn't expect too much from Beth. The XFO mod makes a huge difference and the game is a step up from Oblivion in most respects.

Haven't played it now in several weeks because I got a bit bored at one point but I'm hoping that in a month or three there'll be some more decent mods that'll add a lot more to the game. Might give it a spin again after that.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Saxon1974 said:
While I agree with you guys about the personal nuke launcher being stupid and random other assorted stupid things, I have to admit something.

I like Fallout 3.

BLASPHEMY! :shock:

Granted its definitely heavy in the ACTION-rpg department, but I have been playing it for a few days and Im really enjoying it.

I thought the Paradise Falls area was pretty cool and the Family Being Vampires was decent.

My opinion might change when I play more of it though.

i had the same feeling, but unlike f1&2, you'll never feel like replaying it again.

Imbecile

Arbiter
idonthavetimeforthiscrap said:
i had the same feeling, but unlike f1&2, you'll never feel like replaying it again.

Thats very true, though I hadn't noticed it till you said it. I'm guessing that's because it has fewer C&C than the original fallout's (which promotes replayability) but more exploration (which doesnt).

Saxon1974

Prophet
Imbecile said:

Thats very true, though I hadn't noticed it till you said it. I'm guessing that's because it has fewer C&C than the original fallout's (which promotes replayability) but more exploration (which doesnt).

I think it's that and the original games had a charm and humor about them that this game lacks. So yea pretty much exploration...once you have seen everything no real reason to play it again.

Interesting, I finally ran into some Brotherhood of Steel paladins and 2 of them got wiped about by about 4 super mutants with hunting rifles. I came out of an underground and they were shooting at each other.

I thought the Brotherhood of steel paladins in their power armour were bad asses? Im surprised they got killed by Mutants.

Was excited thinking I could get some power armour but it says you need training to be able to wear it :(

Saxon1974

Prophet
Castanova said:
I enjoyed the game for the first 10 hours or so but then it got prohibitively boring.

This may very well happen to me but not yet after about 12 to 14 hours in.....

I have been reading the Deathland series of books while playing this game....Really gets me in the post-apoc mood.

Man wish they would make a game on the Deathlands world setting.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Saxon1974 said:
Imbecile said:

I think it's that and the original games had a charm and humor about them that this game lacks. So yea pretty much exploration...once you have seen everything no real reason to play it again.

Interesting, I finally ran into some Brotherhood of Steel paladins and 2 of them got wiped about by about 4 super mutants with hunting rifles. I came out of an underground and they were shooting at each other.

I thought the Brotherhood of steel paladins in their power armour were bad asses? Im surprised they got killed by Mutants.

Was excited thinking I could get some power armour but it says you need training to be able to wear it :(

there's a glitch that allows you to get into the BoS headquarter and there you get training for power armor, check on youtube.

or go with ~ and enter the command setpccanusepowerarmor 1

8P

Saxon1974

Prophet
Saxon1974 said:
Imbecile said:

there's a glitch that allows you to get into the BoS headquarter and there you get training for power armor, check on youtube.

or go with ~ and enter the command setpccanusepowerarmor 1

8P

Nah, cheating ruins the game.

That's for console players....

derpherp

Novice
Being that I wasn't intending to buy FO3, I ended up playing it on a friend's ECKSBAWKS, so no mods for me...

I knew better with a Beth game so I cranked it to Very Hard before even firing it up, indeed with the vanilla game it's still not enough. However it may be different if you use guns. I've tried playing a gun character several times and the initial poverty/absurd weakness of pistols combined with Very Hard is just too much.

Now, Melee characters are the fucking shit in FO3 Vanilla. It really works with Melee Weapons or Unarmed, Sneak or no Sneak. You can use Power Armor for DR or some 1 lb stat clothing(lolmagic) for mobility, the removal of damage thresholds makes unarmored/plainclothes play in FO3 stupidly viable. My first character who just trailblazed the Main Quest(and still got level 20 plus a ton to spare) used the Vault 101 Jumpsuit until like level 16, when I found some Enclave Power Armor and got the training. 100 Melee Weapons + Flaming Sword + 10 Str + Sneak Attack = 1 hit kills on pretty much anything on Very Hard, where all damage you deal is halved.

Now I'm actually doing the "exploration" thing and hitting everywhere as an Unarmed character, and in a random encounter right out of the vault I ended up killing a half dead Deathclaw, and finding schematics for Deathclaw Gauntlet on a nearby dead NPC. Then I killed everyone in Megaton except traders(with no apparent consequences, I even disarmed the bomb and was given a house by the kid whose father I killed...)gained like 2 levels in the process, and facepalmed at the fact that killing megaton at level 3 would have been a near-impossible proposal on Very Hard if I was sticking to guns, what with ammo limits and magazines.

It may be partially because the Xbox makes aiming Beth's supernaturally inaccurate guns impossible without VATS, but it seems that melee skills totally outclass guns. VATS let's you teleport about 10ft to people, and if you chain up a bunch of attacks each will teleport separately, even if they run away, even if you knock them off a damn cliff. You can't target limbs in VATS with melee for some reason, but you still cripple them if you use a weapon with a good swing arc(Deathclaw Gauntlet's arc seems to always cripple the left arm on the first attack.) Likewise, at point blank range it becomes trivial to manually aim for the limb you want broken. The gross imbalance of being able to apply infinite stimpaks while paused is lost on me, since I've had to use like 4 stimpaks total and am level 8 now. What damage I do take is little enough to be slept off in beds, that's how exploitable the AI's gross misunderstanding of cover and the limits of their magazine are. Very Hard indeed.

It seems like Beth was afraid Melee would be underpowered in this setting, and overcompensated in an epic way. I actually am nervous when I'm stuck with a gun against a handful of raiders(on a character built for such things), but running up to them through a hail of bullets with a sword feels totally natural. It truly appears to be Oblivion with Guns, and the Guns are tacked on crudely. But all that said, the raw exploration is pretty fun. Maybe someday I'll get the PC version and use this XFO mod/try a gun toting character, but I'm pretty sure I'll be gassed out on this unfettered retardation after this playthrough. Then it's back for another go of FO1 or 2.

Saxon1974

Prophet
derpherp said:
Being that I wasn't intending to buy FO3, I ended up playing it on a friend's ECKSBAWKS, so no mods for me...

I knew better with a Beth game so I cranked it to Very Hard before even firing it up, indeed with the vanilla game it's still not enough. However it may be different if you use guns. I've tried playing a gun character several times and the initial poverty/absurd weakness of pistols combined with Very Hard is just too much.

Now, Melee characters are the fucking shit in FO3 Vanilla. It really works with Melee Weapons or Unarmed, Sneak or no Sneak. You can use Power Armor for DR or some 1 lb stat clothing(lolmagic) for mobility, the removal of damage thresholds makes unarmored/plainclothes play in FO3 stupidly viable. My first character who just trailblazed the Main Quest(and still got level 20 plus a ton to spare) used the Vault 101 Jumpsuit until like level 16, when I found some Enclave Power Armor and got the training. 100 Melee Weapons + Flaming Sword + 10 Str + Sneak Attack = 1 hit kills on pretty much anything on Very Hard, where all damage you deal is halved.

Now I'm actually doing the "exploration" thing and hitting everywhere as an Unarmed character, and in a random encounter right out of the vault I ended up killing a half dead Deathclaw, and finding schematics for Deathclaw Gauntlet on a nearby dead NPC. Then I killed everyone in Megaton except traders(with no apparent consequences, I even disarmed the bomb and was given a house by the kid whose father I killed...)gained like 2 levels in the process, and facepalmed at the fact that killing megaton at level 3 would have been a near-impossible proposal on Very Hard if I was sticking to guns, what with ammo limits and magazines.

It may be partially because the Xbox makes aiming Beth's supernaturally inaccurate guns impossible without VATS, but it seems that melee skills totally outclass guns. VATS let's you teleport about 10ft to people, and if you chain up a bunch of attacks each will teleport separately, even if they run away, even if you knock them off a damn cliff. You can't target limbs in VATS with melee for some reason, but you still cripple them if you use a weapon with a good swing arc(Deathclaw Gauntlet's arc seems to always cripple the left arm on the first attack.) Likewise, at point blank range it becomes trivial to manually aim for the limb you want broken. The gross imbalance of being able to apply infinite stimpaks while paused is lost on me, since I've had to use like 4 stimpaks total and am level 8 now. What damage I do take is little enough to be slept off in beds, that's how exploitable the AI's gross misunderstanding of cover and the limits of their magazine are. Very Hard indeed.

It seems like Beth was afraid Melee would be underpowered in this setting, and overcompensated in an epic way. I actually am nervous when I'm stuck with a gun against a handful of raiders(on a character built for such things), but running up to them through a hail of bullets with a sword feels totally natural. It truly appears to be Oblivion with Guns, and the Guns are tacked on crudely. But all that said, the raw exploration is pretty fun. Maybe someday I'll get the PC version and use this XFO mod/try a gun toting character, but I'm pretty sure I'll be gassed out on this unfettered retardation after this playthrough. Then it's back for another go of FO1 or 2.

Interesting, I never thought to try and use melee as primary. I do carry around a sledgehammer for whem I run out of ammo...at least until I found schematics to make a shishkebob (A flaming gas powered sword). Playing this game without guns seems kind of dumb though since they are so key to the setting.

The starting pistol (10mm pistol and .32 pistol) are pretty weak but still do pretty good damage if you have decent small gun skills. Did you not train small guns much? Also, once you get a chinese assault rifle its a pretty awesome gun (I got one pretty early). The tricky thing is finding Ammo for it since the XFO mod makes ammo more scarce.

derpherp

Novice
In my attempts at using guns I leveled the way I level my melee characters, just with Small Guns or whatever instead of Melee Weapons. As in I raised it while raising other things like Lockpick and Science. Usually keep 8+ Int so I get a fair amount of skill points. Only thing I haven't tried is just dumping 100% in a gun skill until its maxed, then worrying about other skills, which may be the way to go.

Thing is Strength(or ranks of Iron Fist) really create a rift between the per shot/swing damage of the initial melee weapons & the initial guns, it's exacerbated by the general inaccuracy of the early guns. Assault Rifles unfortunately are about as accurate and about as damaging per shot as pistols, they just fire a lot faster, so they do nothing to alleviate the problem.

Until you build up a good stock of shotguns shells, the Combat Shotgun can't step in, and even then it's a lot like playing a bad melee character. The Hunting Rifle is the only Small Gun I really like whose ammo isn't super scarce(i.e. Sniper Rifle, Scoped Magnum), but it doesn't scale into the highest levels.

Big Guns & Energy Weapons are inherently uncommon until certain points in the game, so you have to do something else until those points in the game.

It may just be playstyle, I get my non-plot kicks out of games by tackling situations very efficiently: getting a lot done with each attack/shot is key. Only Melee/Unarmed and higher level Energy Weapons seem to lend themselves to this in vanilla FO3.

Vipera

Scholar
It gets hard to use the Small Guns skill late in the game. And the new enemies added on by the Broken Steel DLC are essentially impervious to any caliber under under .308. On Normal difficulty it took over a dozen out-of-VATS hits from Lincoln's Repeater to put an Overlord down.

flushfire

Augur
just don't go doing the main quest, esp the one where you're tasked to go to 87. everything just goes downhill after that.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Just finished it after over 70 hours of gameplay, fuck the endings suck. And I got like 3 fucking endings. What happened to all that other shit I did?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just bought Fallout 3... out of sheer morbid curiosity.

fall3iconrape.jpg

At least I have the correct Icon for the game.

Starwars

Arcane
I just tried out the DLCs. While I'm not sure exactly what Broken Steel does, I did play the other two.

Operation Anchorage is fucking painful to play. An absolute shit sandwich. I was not far in when I seriously regretted ever entering it all (that'll teach me for not keeping a save before entering). Some of the worst shit I have ever had to endure, just awful.

I actually enjoyed the Pitt however. Yeah, the premise is kinda stupid and all which is to be expected nowadays from a Bethesda game. But I must say that I enjoyed the setting and presentation of this one. And at least they do offer you an option on how to solve the quest, even if again, the premise is pretty fucking stupid.
But yeah, I'm embarrassed to say that I kinda liked it. :oops:

Also, the Fallout 3 alternative soundtrack mod is a must.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Starwars said:
I just tried out the DLCs. While I'm not sure exactly what Broken Steel does, I did play the other two.

Initially, all that happens is that the level cap is raised to 30, which means you now will likely max out each of your skills by the time you've hit the cap. Once you get high level (16+) a few new monsters start spawning. From level 22 onward, there are new perks for you to choose but all of them are pathetically useless, except for one that raises all of your stats to 9 (hows that for balanced?). After you finish the main quest, you wake up 2 weeks later and can do 3 more quests for the Brotherhood, and 3 incredibly short sidequests dealing with water caravans. The Brotherhood quests are all linear, and all action, giving you roughly 4 hours of gameplay that is indistinguishable from a first person shooter.

Fallout 3 in general was pretty lame but it at least had it's moments every now and then. Broken Steel however is just shit, and nearly as bad as Operation: Anchorage.

flushfire

Augur
it at least revamped the ending. formerly worst of the century to worst of the decade. :lol:

Multi-headed Cow

I'm happiest with FWE, MMM, and the Weapon Mod Kits mod. Only problem is Fallout 3 isn't very happy with them and has gotten crashy.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Multi-headed Cow said:
I'm happiest with FWE, MMM, and the Weapon Mod Kits mod. Only problem is Fallout 3 isn't very happy with them and has gotten crashy.

Yeah. The new FWE is kinda buggy. I just started playing again but I think I'm going to wait till that is sorted out before finally going through the game. And the release of FOOK2.

Six months after release and the mods are at least starting to catch up to the crap gameplay. Now if someone could just fix the quests/dialogue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom