Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Finally playing fallout 3

Dionysus

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:
Atleast that is what I think. Because I know for sure, that my body rises in excitement at every combat encounter in Ultima Underworld.
I'm getting the feeling that this is sarcasm, so I'm not going to go into any greater detail than I did in the earlier post.

MetalCraze said:
I can't take so much stupidity.
You can and will!

Saxon1974

Prophet
Squirly said:
Play on hard or Very Hard, get the XFO mod with level-pacing.

The game is a lot better in the exploration department than Oblivion (what game isn't?) mostly because not all of the locations and "dungeons" have that cookie-cutter feel. Well, most of them anyway.

VATS was broken at one point with several perks not having any effect (like Sniper) - but apparently they fixed it with the latest patch. I wouldn't know because I'd stopped playing by that point. I always used the un-official patch and the VATS fix mod.

I would like to use the XFO mod, but Im hearing there are some issues with the 1.5 Patch and or Broken Steel with mods.

Any recommendation on how far to patch the game for use with mods?

Luzur

Good Sir
well ive just finished The Pitt, and i must say it was surprisingly okay for a DLC, no puppies or shit like that, but short. too damn short, more then half the city of Pittsburg was left unused and it only had like 5 areas you could go to.

it was ok but still a failure, dammit Beth you need to have bigger ruined nuked cities i can romp around in.

fuck.

Xaus

Novice
I finished Broken Steel last night and I don't think I'll be bothering with the other DLCs. I was expecting, you know, some plot development in regards to the Brotherhood of Steel & the Outcasts & the Enclave with some dialogue and interesting choices to be made that could tip the balance either way.

But, no, I instead ended up with exactly 4 unique convos which go nowhere (and one was extremely annoying with an AI) and a shit ton of combat out the ass. And the whole option to blow up the Citadel was just bizarre... where the hell did that come from? Why would I do that in the first place? Oh, cause I guess it's the generic evil thing to do, huh?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Saxon1974 said:
Squirly said:
Play on hard or Very Hard, get the XFO mod with level-pacing.

The game is a lot better in the exploration department than Oblivion (what game isn't?) mostly because not all of the locations and "dungeons" have that cookie-cutter feel. Well, most of them anyway.

VATS was broken at one point with several perks not having any effect (like Sniper) - but apparently they fixed it with the latest patch. I wouldn't know because I'd stopped playing by that point. I always used the un-official patch and the VATS fix mod.

I would like to use the XFO mod, but Im hearing there are some issues with the 1.5 Patch and or Broken Steel with mods.

Any recommendation on how far to patch the game for use with mods?

Ok, I found a post that instructed me to use the patch 1.4 and then install the unnoficial patch and then use the XFO mods.

I used a bunch of them, XP slower pacing, reduced skill point gains to make it more like the original fallouts, improve hit points and combat behavior for NPC's, rarity of ammo's and stimpacks and many more....

Honestly, with these mods installed its quite a fun game now. Im playing with these mods on the hard setting and its pretty easy to die, it really makes it more fun to explore around when its dangerous.

If bethesda would have released the game this way I think it would have been TONS better. Why dont they get making the games too easy just ruins the fun?

In the first area the fight with Butch left me crippled with a concussion that I needed to find a doctor or a stimpak to fix, just for an example of the ramped up difficulty.

Cheers, Im going to have fun with this game now I think. :)

Someone here said Bethesda is good at making big sandbox worlds, but awful at game balancing, I would definitely agree with that.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
My character is level 19, has about 350hp or so. I have him maxed on Intelligence and Perception, Strength's only at about 5 I think.

His perks include ones that enhance small guns, including Gun Nut, Commando, etc. Most others are non-combat related.

He wears leather armor, mainly because it looks best and is lighter, but does have one rank of the damage resistance perk, whatever that's called. His guns skill is at about 96 right now.

Got plenty of 5.56 ammo, usually hover around 30 stimpaks, and uses Combat Shotgun and a sniper rifle.

I can take on most raiders by myself, if not too heavily outnumbered. An Enclave party will kick my ass pretty quickly. I can take on a single deathclaw, if I'm careful. Just last night, two mirelurk hunters got me down to about 5% health while in a confined space. Had to run for my life and lay down mines to survive.

I'm actually pretty good at actions games. I use V.A.T.S. extensively, and get critical hits all the time. I guess due to the choices I happened to have made so far with my character, the combat in this game is still quite satisfyingly difficult, often requiring me to enlist the help of Fawkes.

I understand many of you find it laughably easy and "broken". Guess I'm just lucky. Go figure.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Crispy said:
My character is level 19, has about 350hp or so. I have him maxed on Intelligence and Perception, Strength's only at about 5 I think.

His perks include ones that enhance small guns, including Gun Nut, Commando, etc. Most others are non-combat related.

He wears leather armor, mainly because it looks best and is lighter, but does have one rank of the damage resistance perk, whatever that's called. His guns skill is at about 96 right now.

Got plenty of 5.56 ammo, usually hover around 30 stimpaks, and uses Combat Shotgun and a sniper rifle.

I can take on most raiders by myself, if not too heavily outnumbered. An Enclave party will kick my ass pretty quickly. I can take on a single deathclaw, if I'm careful. Just last night, two mirelurk hunters got me down to about 5% health while in a confined space. Had to run for my life and lay down mines to survive.

I'm actually pretty good at actions games. I use V.A.T.S. extensively, and get critical hits all the time. I guess due to the choices I happened to have made so far with my character, the combat in this game is still quite satisfyingly difficult, often requiring me to enlist the help of Fawkes.

I understand many of you find it laughably easy and "broken". Guess I'm just lucky. Go figure.

How far through the game are you? There are many reports that you will reach max level well before the end of the game. I found that same issue in Morrowind, in the second half of the game I was WAY too powerful.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Saxon1974 said:
How far through the game are you? There are many reports that you will reach max level well before the end of the game. I found that same issue in Morrowind, in the second half of the game I was WAY too powerful.

Finished the main quest, have explored probably 60-70% of the map. Just starting on Broken Steel content, but I'm going back and just doing other random quests I never picked up before, as well.

I had the misfortune of running into my first feral ghoul reaver the other day, and he/it completely wiped the floor with me. That's why I went back and joined up with Fawkes again; it's still not safe for me to run around anywhere I want to out in the wasteland.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Ok Im enjoying this game with the XFO mod's installed. It is definitely more FPS shooter than RPG though. At least with the XFO mods things are a bit of a challenge.

It feels more like a mad max style shooter than a fallout RPG, but I still think its fun.

I think I remember VD stating he didnt like how populated and close together everything in the world is. I have to second that. The wasteland doesn't much feel like a wasteland since you encounter things about every 5 minutes of walking.

I understand not wanting people to walk across vast distances with nothing to see, that would be boring but the way Fallout 1 & 2 did it was way better. The feeling traveling multiples hour and days across the map with chances of random encounters really made it feel more like a realistic post apoc world.

By the way, IS there a Geiger Counter for sale anywhere in the game?

I cant seem to find one anywhere and keep running into random radiation.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The Geiger counter is built into your PIP-Boy. It'll start clicking whenever you're in a radiated area or when you enter radiated water. You should also see the number of rads/hr you're accumulating in red at the upper-right of your screen.

Check your stats in PIP-Boy to see your current rad level. Get somewhere near 100 or so and you'll start experiencing negative effects. Use some Rad-Away to magically eradicate all radiation from your body. :roll: Also use Rad-X (and a rad suit) to slow rad absorbtion if you need to explore a hot area.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Crispy said:
The Geiger counter is built into your PIP-Boy. It'll start clicking whenever you're in a radiated area or when you enter radiated water. You should also see the number of rads/hr you're accumulating in red at the upper-right of your screen.

Check your stats in PIP-Boy to see your current rad level. Get somewhere near 100 or so and you'll start experiencing negative effects. Use some Rad-Away to magically eradicate all radiation from your body. :roll: Also use Rad-X (and a rad suit) to slow rad absorbtion if you need to explore a hot area.

I think I have heard that clicking, but it doesn't do much good if it only clicks once you have entered the radiation :roll: Would be nice if it was like the Wasteland game where it would click if you were in an area with radiation.

Can you wear the rad suit over armour or does it replace it? I saw a trader that had it but it was 60 caps and Im always tight on cash.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Crispy said:
Saxon1974 said:

Finished the main quest, have explored probably 60-70% of the map. Just starting on Broken Steel content, but I'm going back and just doing other random quests I never picked up before, as well.

I had the misfortune of running into my first feral ghoul reaver the other day, and he/it completely wiped the floor with me. That's why I went back and joined up with Fawkes again; it's still not safe for me to run around anywhere I want to out in the wasteland.

I havent explored the map very much yet, but I did run into a Mutant with a rocket launcher on my way to Arefu. I saw the rocket coming at me but by then it was too late :)

Im only level 3 though so quite a bit can kill me and its pretty challenging walking around.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Saxon1974 said:
Can you wear the rad suit over armour or does it replace it? I saw a trader that had it but it was 60 caps and Im always tight on cash.

Replaces it, unfortunately. There are two versions, incidentally, the standard suit and the advanced radiation suit. There's also a magical labcoat you can find that somehow fights off radiation. :shock:

Let it be known that there are many areas of Fallout 3 that I find highly retarded and/or irritating. I just enjoy the game for what it is and simply choose to tolerate these stupid aspects.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Crispy said:
Saxon1974 said:

Replaces it, unfortunately. There are two versions, incidentally, the standard suit and the advanced radiation suit. There's also a magical labcoat you can find that somehow fights off radiation. :shock:

Let it be known that there are many areas of Fallout 3 that I find highly retarded and/or irritating. I just enjoy the game for what it is and simply choose to tolerate these stupid aspects.

Magical Labcoat....some writing genius there eh? :roll:

Yea I hear ya Crispy, I have many issues with the game as well but for a wide open explorable post apoc game its still fun.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Crispy said:

Well, I suppose it does depend on the choices you make, but I found the game generally too easy even on Hard difficulty. I reached the level cap after about 40 hours of gameplay, which really spoiled my enthusiasm for further wandering. I think I explored about two thirds of the main map and I would have done the whole thing if not for the level cap.

Combat was way too easy for me. Even the Enclave patrols get turned to green jelly with the use of Plasma Rifles and even the somewhat underpowered (but very fast) Laser Rifle. So Energy Weapons made a difference. I would have used the Sniper rifle more but ammo was scarce (this was a good thing IMO). The ONLY enemy that challenged me consistently was the Deathclaws. They were satisfyingly tough, and I lost Charon in Old Olney as a result. But basically VATS was a duck shoot for me. The real time combat is so bad that I had to use VATS though.

Oh, and the AI. I respect some of the opinions above (Qwinn especially) but I never noticed much in the way of flanking from the AI. I found in general that I could hide behind the smallest of pillars and wait for my action points to regenerate in order to begin the duck shoot again. The AI seemed to consist of either CHARGE or DO NOTHING.

Don't get me started on the fucking cinematic headshots. How many times do I have to watch a head flying off with maximum gore? 500 times or so.

Overall, FO3 was an above average exploration/shooter, far superior to STALKER imo, but FAR below the greatness of FO1 and especially FO2. The main quest was so retarded that it ruined the game for me. I mean, Vault 87 was a linear super mutant shooter. The enclave was a TERRIBLE example of a linear shooter with a retarded 'twist' re: Eden in it. And Prime Liberty???? WTF??? Am I playing Transformers: the game?

I had a lot of fun with this in the early stages though. Parts of DC were great. Fighting those Talon freaks was a moderate challenge early on. Rivet City was pretty cool, as were several other places like Big Town, Paradise Falls and a few more.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Zhuangzi said:
Overall, FO3 was an above average exploration/shooter, far superior to STALKER imo, but FAR below the greatness of FO1 and especially FO2. The main quest was so retarded that it ruined the game for me. I mean, Vault 87 was a linear super mutant shooter. The enclave was a TERRIBLE example of a linear shooter with a retarded 'twist' re: Eden in it. And Prime Liberty???? WTF??? Am I playing Transformers: the game?

I had a lot of fun with this in the early stages though. Parts of DC were great. Fighting those Talon freaks was a moderate challenge early on. Rivet City was pretty cool, as were several other places like Big Town, Paradise Falls and a few more.

This has got to be some of the dumbest shit i have ever read.
Better then Stalker.

Lets see.

STALKER a flawed/Bugged game with a some what new interesting setting with a good Atmosphere.
VS
Fallout 3 A game with a bad Atmosphere, bad writing, generic NPC's, BORING exploration and over all a lack lustre experience.

Now i have tried to play through it to get ready for a Let's play of it, but the game so far have not managed to do any thing INTERESTING YET!!!

Zhuangzi

Scholar
CrimsonAngel said:
Zhuangzi said:

This has got to be some of the dumbest shit i have ever read.
Better then Stalker.

Lets see.

STALKER a flawed/Bugged game with a some what new interesting setting with a good Atmosphere.
VS
Fallout 3 A game with a bad Atmosphere, bad writing, generic NPC's, BORING exploration and over all a lack lustre experience.

Now i have tried to play through it to get ready for a Let's play of it, but the game so far have not managed to do any thing INTERESTING YET!!!

That's your opinion cockstick. I got more enjoyment out of Fallout 3 than STALKER. Care to dispute that?

Took about four mods to take the game from kinda neat to fun, for me at least.

XFO
The MMM mod
The Joe Fox Classic weapons w/ Repair Rethought
Weapon Mod Kits

The quest and story pale in comparison, but shooting muthafuckas in the face is way more fun this time around. Hopefully New Vegas will be the kick in the junk Bethesda needs in regards to story-telling... but I'm more or less fine with this mass-murder simulator as it is.

Andhaira

Arcane
Do you really have a prtable nuke launcher in this game? If so, why don't you die when you use it due to radiation or radius of the blast?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AndhairaX said:
Do you really have a prtable nuke launcher in this game? If so, why don't you die when you use it due to radiation or radius of the blast?

Because that thing is an illogical piece of shit that even creates mini-mushroom-clouds when the mini-nuke explodes. And if you have good armor and enough hitpoints, you can survive being hit by such a nuke...

Andhaira

Arcane
Thats dumb.

If you have your armor off, can you be killed by the radiation?

And if you have good armor and enough hitpoints, you can survive being hit by such a nuke...

Welcome to the genre of role-playing games. If you have enough armor, resists or hitpoints you can survive anything.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AndhairaX said:
Thats dumb.

If you have your armor off, can you be killed by the radiation?

I don't think it even creates radiation.
There's more radiation in the river than from a just-exploded mini-nuke.

entertainer

Arbiter
the return of mr. lamat said:
And if you have good armor and enough hitpoints, you can survive being hit by such a nuke...

Welcome to the genre of role-playing games. If you have enough armor, resists or hitpoints you can survive anything.

Only in bethshitsa games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom