Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Finally played HotU

nomask7

Arcane
PorkaMorka said:
Are these still one character plus one AI hireling like the OC?
Hordes of the Underdark (also known as HotU), which is one of the best RPGs ever fucking made, and certainly the best one that uses the NWN engine, doesn't limit you to one companion. I think you can have three, maybe four henchmen, and you have more control over them than in the OC.

nomask7

Arcane
Do you get bored when listening to Beethoven as well? Am I easy to impress because I like Beethoven? Seriously, it doesn't look likely to me that I'm easy to impress, considering how many games I've played and how few of them I rate highly. It looks more likely that you're just another empty-headed manboon, bored by anything that is unique or different, because it doesn't satisfy your narrow manboon expectations and is therefore something your mind doesn't register as a proper perception in the first place.

Donkey Balls

Educated
DramaticPopcorn said:
But HOTU? Seriously?
What about it? It's a pretty good game.

Personally, the best thing I liked about HotU was how you could buy the "true" name of pretty much any named character and then make him/her do your bidding. You could even buy the true name of the final boss and thus skip the final battle. And actually, come to think of it, I don't think I ever managed to defeat the final boss in combat, he had way too high AC.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
nomask7 said:
Do you get bored when listening to Beethoven as well? Am I easy to impress because I like Beethoven? Seriously, it doesn't look likely to me that I'm easy to impress, considering how many games I've played and how few of them I rate highly. It looks more likely that you're just another empty-headed manboon, bored by anything that is unique or different, because it doesn't satisfy your narrow manboon expectations and is therefore something your mind doesn't register as a proper perception in the first place.

Are you comparing a fucking NWN expansion to Beethoven you generic college frustrated elitist? Anyway I never played it so I can't comment, but your praise seems over the top and forced. I can picture it being "good", sure, but not much more than that. I remember this NWN mod (Honor among thieves I think) which was p. non linear, I would probably assume it's better that HotU. As an empty-headed manboon who doesn't know anything about rational truth tho, my judgement isn't worth yours of course

nomask7

Arcane
Serious_Business said:
nomask7 said:

Are you comparing a fucking NWN expansion to Beethoven you generic college frustrated elitist? Anyway I never played it so I can't comment, but your praise seems over the top and forced. I can picture it being "good", sure, but not much more than that. I remember this NWN mod (Honor among thieves I think) which was p. non linear, I would probably assume it's better that HotU. As an empty-headed manboon who doesn't know anything about rational truth tho, my judgement isn't worth yours of course
What is the point you're trying to make? That I'm not allowed to praise games that you haven't played, or that aren't universally praised by codexian manboons? I honestly don't see the point.

nomask7

Arcane
DramaticPopcorn said:
But you called HotU athmospheric and unique. That's something new. It's certanly not a bad game but how can it be more athmospheric than OC or, say, SoU? It's the same engine, hell, its the same art-style
Different writing, different story, different setting (more than one), different music.

Obviously, you aren't a rocket scientist, buddy.

People enjoy different things, and different people can even enjoy the same thing with an intensity that differs. Somebody likes it a lot, somebody likes it but not as much.

That's because people have different memories that partake in the creation of the experience, and even their capacity for using those memories they already have is different. Someone, with exactly the same memories as the other guy, may see more implications and connections because his capacity for using his memories is greater (often called intelligence).

The same way that a child can read Dostoevsky and not get much out of it, a codexer, yes, even a codexer, can play HotU and not get much out of it. Not always the game's fault.

Erebus

Arcane
DramaticPopcorn said:
Anyway, I'd suggest OP to try some premium (or fan-made) modules. Some of them are pretty damn good.

I've already played several excellent fan-made NWN1 modules (Elegia Eternum, Arandie, the Kosigan series...). In fact, the modules were the only reason I bought SoU and HotU.

I'm especially raging about the fact that they've showed only a tiny part of one of the most awesome cities in FR.

I've never been a fan of the FR. With the exception of MotB and BG2, I can't think of any game where I found them to be an interesting setting.

What I've read about Waterdeep made it sound like it could be interesting, but I don't think the city could have been developed enough. HotU is, after all, only an extension.

DramaticPopcorn said:
But you called HotU athmospheric and unique. That's something new. It's certanly not a bad game but how can it be more athmospheric than OC or, say, SoU? It's the same engine, hell, its the same art-style

It's not only about visuals. HotU did include plenty of minor things that contributed to creating a good atmosphere.

And it's railroaded. I know that it has options to avoid certain parts of the plot (unlike OC or SoU) but still, for a game that you claim to be a masterpiece it certanly doesn't looks like it.

Sure, it's not Fallout, but it still allows you a reasonable amount of freedom during the first two chapters. And again, it's an extension, quite a bit smaller than the OC.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Oh bollocks. Chapter1 in HotU has no freedom at all. You go from point A to point B, solve the puzzle, kill the monsters, next level. Chapter2 you have four factions to deal with and you can only do three, so there's little variety (or was it two out of three?). Still, the devil is in the details and again, how you deal with the actual factions is completely railroaded. Chapter3 sees you in the Abyss and here there's little more freedom, even if the maps make you still run in straight lines but hey atleast the conversations bring the game more alive than previously.

Calling it a masterpiece is just the sort of impressionable gaming "journalism" which gets Oblivion 10/A+ scores and F3 BeST GAEM EVUUUR!1!1 titles - you are blinded by some nifty tricks. Whoopii, you can have two henchmen over the retarded one you could have previously - doesn't change much about the game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
Oh bollocks. Chapter1 in HotU has no freedom at all. You go from point A to point B, solve the puzzle, kill the monsters, next level. Chapter2 you have four factions to deal with and you can only do three, so there's little variety (or was it two out of three?). Still, the devil is in the details and again, how you deal with the actual factions is completely railroaded. Chapter3 sees you in the Abyss and here there's little more freedom, even if the maps make you still run in straight lines but hey atleast the conversations bring the game more alive than previously.

Calling it a masterpiece is just the sort of impressionable gaming "journalism" which gets Oblivion 10/A+ scores and F3 BeST GAEM EVUUUR!1!1 titles - you are blinded by some nifty tricks. Whoopii, you can have two henchmen over the retarded one you could have previously - doesn't change much about the game.

DO U ALSO H8 BEETHOVAN?????

nomask7

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
Oh bollocks. Chapter1 in HotU has no freedom at all. You go from point A to point B, solve the puzzle, kill the monsters, next level.
Stopped reading there.

You're a moron. Are you sure you aren't basing your views on some incompetent walkthrough? I remember one that claimed you had to fight the group of drows in the beginning who had formed a camp on the third level, even though you could avoid them if you rescued the formians, who would dig a tunnel for you if you did. And that's just one of the many examples of non-linearity in the game.

Wulfstand

Prophet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2JSilmULRg

When i heard this after getting in the main city of chapter 2 in HotU, I was like... whoa. Definitely one of the best gaming soundtracks I've ever listened.

Also, I greatly enjoyed both SoU (especially its first chapter, damn i loved that snowy-region) and HotU.
And, since it hasn't been mentioned here, if you're looking for the sorta-same type of high-adventure module, check out Alezander(the team leader of the guys who made that premium module for Nwn 2, forgot its name):
Siege of Shadowdale
Crimson Tides of Tethyr
Tyrants of the Moonsea

Erebus

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
Oh bollocks. Chapter1 in HotU has no freedom at all. You go from point A to point B, solve the puzzle, kill the monsters, next level.

That's not true, there's a lot of the dungeon that you can avoid if you want. For instance, the puzzle to get from the first to the second level requires rods to be solved. There are five rods of different colors spread throughout the level, but you can solve the puzzle with only three of them.

Chapter2 you have four factions to deal with and you can only do three, so there's little variety (or was it two out of three?). Still, the devil is in the details and again, how you deal with the actual factions is completely railroaded.

That's not true either. There are five different places you can travel to (no limitation) and they do offer some freedom and choices. In the Maker's maze, you can ally to two different factions and there's a lot of the place that's optional. In the Beholder caverns, you can visit an optional place that will give you a useful item against the Beholder Queen. You can choose to make a deal with the mind flayers by offering them an item that you got from another placer or simply to slaughter them all and free their slaves. Etc.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
even though you could avoid them if you rescued the formians,

Yes, you skipped one encounter with drow, instead having an encounter with formians. You replace one sort of a battle with another sort of a battle.

one of the many examples of non-linearity in the game

Of which other examples are? You use a ballista to kill few drow so you don't have to fight quite as many in the Chapter 1 end fight than without it. What a miraculous innovation!

lot of the dungeon that you can avoid

No there's not. There are few optional rooms that you don't have to search unless you're a loot-whore but claiming that through use of skills/guile you could skip parts of the boring hack'n'slash is lying. The game doesn't change from hack'n'slash into something else even if the devs allow you to skip 10% of the hack'n'slash, leaving you with 90&. It's still nothing but hack'n'slah with few puzzles thrown in.

There are five different places you can travel to (no limitation)

What? Beholders, illithids, undead and golems. You can visit three out of four - after you have done the quests for three of them the Valsharess attack begins. The only place which actually has non-linearity here are the Mind flayers since, as you described, with the use of that mirror you can talk them out of fighting. Which is a great plus for Bioware here but doesn't change the fact that the other options are straight as arrows.

The fact that they have extra loot available in optional rooms does NOT mean that the game is non-linear. Definitely not in any amount to justify nomask gushing praise:"which is one of the best RPGs ever fucking made" or " There are many ways to accomplish shit, and many skippable parts"

There's a difference between games where your character skills allow you to have different ways to progress through the game and to solve quests in a different manner. There is very little of that in Hordes. There is some, which is the reason that its often said to be the only reason to play NWN at all.

nomask7

Arcane
What I liked the most about HotU was its atmosphere, from beginning to end, especially the last part. Exploring the first level of the first dungeon, I felt I was being railroaded about as much as a lonely fish in the seven connected seas who have the whole world of water to swim in. I was a bit lost, and it was wonderful.

Of course, I didn't use automap, or any other map, and I used the camera in a way that didn't reveal much more than what the character would have seen. Absolutely fantastic. The bit of dialogue in the beginning about rumored shifting walls in the maze of the mad wizard was a nice touch that I bet most of you completely missed. You could read it by asking information about the maze from an old guy who was standing in one of the rooms of the tavern. It did more for the atmosphere than you would believe.

The middle part wasn't as good as the first and last parts; but the game as a whole was still a great experience. The music in the middle part was fabulous. Never expected to hear music like that in a game.

When I say one of the best RPGs, I mean simply ONE of the best RPGs, not the best, not the second best, just one of a group of an indefinite number of RPGs that I consider to belong to the group, which isn't great hype, since the group can include any number of RPGs, and RPGs in general, and almost without exception, are rather average if somewhat entertaining fluff.

But to be more specific, HotU is definitely one of the top twenty games, not just RPGs, in terms of the amount of fun I got out of it without any significant modding or weird larping.

So you didn't have as much fun with it as I did. I'm sorry you didn't. Next time, try to play it without the first crappy railroad walkthrough you can find on the 'net; try to play through it on your own before you start a thread on the 'dex asking questions such as "what would be a good character build" and "are there any things I should know before I start my power-gaming larping, uh, first play-through of this mediocre expansion?"

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I had to replay HotU just because this fucking thread made me wonder if I had played the correct HotU. Hot damn is that a day I'm never getting back. Thanks a lot.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
try to play through it on your own before you start a thread on the 'dex asking questions such as "what would be a good character build" and "are there any things I should know before I start my power-gaming larping, uh, first play-through of this mediocre expansion?"

I have no idea who you are talking to or what you are talking about. If it's me, I can assure you that you do not need to worry about me, nomask, as touching as it is. Especially as this thread was started by you, our lovable retard manboon, since Bioware jerked you off with a low-poly drow dominatrix and you felt the need to convince the Codex that HotU is much better than merely "the one play-worthy thing in the steaming pile that is NWN".

Dramatic Popcorn said:
But you called HotU athmospheric and unique. That's something new. It's certanly not a bad game but how can it be more athmospheric than OC or, say, SoU? It's the same engine, hell, its the same art-style (maybe except for the chick in black leather with a whip ).

Graffx whore, atmosphere isn't only about visuals

roll-a-die

Magister
GarfunkeL said:
try to play through it on your own before you start a thread on the 'dex asking questions such as "what would be a good character build" and "are there any things I should know before I start my power-gaming larping, uh, first play-through of this mediocre expansion?"

I have no idea who you are talking to or what you are talking about. If it's me, I can assure you that you do not need to worry about me, nomask, as touching as it is. Especially as this thread was started by you, our lovable retard manboon, since Bioware jerked you off with a low-poly drow dominatrix and you felt the need to convince the Codex that HotU is much better than merely "the one play-worthy thing in the steaming pile that is NWN's Bioware made campaigns".
Fixed.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
I played HotU a long time ago and hated it. My memories are a bit blurry so i don't remember many details, but one thing clearly stands out - they replaced searching for good loot with a shop that can add abilities to your weapon for money. Forget about being excited about retrieving a +5 sword from a dragon lair, all the cool kids just pay 500.000 gp in a shop and get their +12 swords with +5D6 acid and fire damage. I stoped playing after that.

^Whether that's shitty or alright depends on the availability of money. If you have to think about what you can get, it can be better than reaching endgame as a walking god and a fat bank account due to all the accumulated free shit you found.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The most annoying part of HotU was carrying around two characters' inventories worth of shit to sell so I'd have enough money to afford to buy everyone's true names.

Also, HotU isl fairly linear. Your actions may allow you to skip some areas, but in doing so you're just giving up XP and loot. Even if you do, you end up at the same destination no matter what. That's hardly non-linear.

nomask7

Arcane
Xor said:
The most annoying part of HotU was carrying around two characters' inventories worth of shit to sell so I'd have enough money to afford to buy everyone's true names.
LOL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom