Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Finally played HotU

Erebus

Arcane
I'd bought it when it was released, but it was mainly so I could play the NWN modules requiring this extension. The dreadful experience that is NWN 1 OC was still fresh in my memory, so I really didn't expect anything at all from HotU itself and gave up playing it very quickly, when it looked like it was going to be a dungeon crawler.

Since the Codex consensus about NWN 1 is that only a complete moron would find it to be a good game, I was surprised to find mostly positive comments about HotU and decided to give it another chance. I was pleasantly surprised. It's not quite a great game, but it's a good one and I had fun playing it.

The main story wasn't exactly original, although it got a bit better at the end of chapter 2. However, the smaller things show a good deal of inventiveness. Some of the settings were very good, such as the inverted city or the city in Cania. I found many minor quests to be quite entertaining (the mimic was especially fun !).

There were a lot of puzzles, not extraordinarily difficult but neverthelessl entertaining and quite diverse. The fights were much better than you'd expect them to be considering the system's high-level D&D and our party is more than limited. Quite a few fights involved unusual circumstances or settings that made them even more interesting. I was a bit disappointed by the siege, but it wasn't exactly bad either.

The NPCs weren't extremely memorable in general, but they were okay (I thought Mephisto looked pretty cool !). It was interesting to see Aribeth again. Her fall in NWN 1 OC was only slightly more believable than Anakin Skywalker's in "Return of the Sith", but HotU makes her a more developed character (I'm still pretty pissed about the Persuasion check near the end, although I eventually managed to pass it).

It was nice to have an ending that reflects your choices during the game.

Playing the game again probably won't be quite so enjoyable, but maybe I'll do it anyway, since there are some things I've missed. And there's SoU, which I also gave up on pretty quickly... but I haven't heard much good about it, so I'll probably pass.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Out of all the installments in NWN 1, it's the only one worth playing. And it's worth a few replays. I've played it... three times? I think. Come to think of it, it's been quite a few years since I last played it. All your ramblings made me want to pick it up again. Especially the Cania-part I recall as pretty fun.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
SoU was alright too, although I never finished it. The writing was leagues better than the OC in both of them, anyway.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, try out SoU if you haven't. It was a decent enough game, although it might be a bit disappointing if you've played HotU

CrimHead

Scholar
I played NWN when it first came out, hated it, and never played it or thought about it again. Hell, Dragon Age is better than what I played of the game's OC. Heaps better, actually.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's kind of the point of this thread, though. The OC sucks balls but the two expansions have decent campaigns and are both better than DA.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
OC = good

SOU = overrated but barely playable in the TOEE way

HOTU = awesome

Anyonje who thinks SOu is better than OC is retarted.

Multi-headed Cow

OC = amazingly bad
SOU = acceptable
HOTU = surprisingly decent

NWN lent itself well to multiplayer and epic level since it leaned more heavily toward action. I almost didn't buy the expansions given how bad the OC was, but eventually did for the added content in player made modules. After trying the expansions themselves I was pleasantly surprised.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Jesus fucking Christ, "thanks" to you the memories of this game came back. The pain, the pain...

I also heard that HOTU is pretty OK, but I still never even tried it thanks to the ultra-shit impression I got from the OC.

Btw, original NWN got 10 out of 10 from local "best selling computer games magazine" which is probably one of the most pathetically missed scores in history of game journalism.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Btw, original NWN got 10 out of 10 from local "best selling computer games magazine"

Where are you from? Because I still have nightmares over the same thing happening here. But I suppose it happened pretty much everywhere.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Jim Cojones said:
FeelTheRads said:
Btw, original NWN got 10 out of 10 from local "best selling computer games magazine"
Where are you from? Because I still have nightmares over the same thing happening here. But I suppose it happened pretty much everywhere.
He's from Poland.
Hey, I was going to say that.

Erebus

Arcane
Finished the game a second time. This time, I paid a bit more attention to the potential companions, and I kept Valen and Nathyrra with me during the second and third chapter (Linu and Daelan during the first). I think having two companions rather than one means you get a bit less XP, but the greater help is more than worth it.

I took a female PC... which means I got the blaaand Valen romance. I really hate romances when it feels like they were just an item on the "to do" list. This one feels so artificial it makes Valen less interesting and cool than he otherwise would have been. I don't know if the Aribeth romance is as bad, but I'm not going to play again just to check.

The fun thing is, there *is* a very entertaining love-related dialogue in the game, between Nathyrra and the Sleeper. It's absolutely worth the 300,000 gold.

On the whole, I found the companions to be okay. They certainly won't rank among my favorite NPCs ever, but they're a good deal more developed than I expected them to be.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Best thing in SoU and one of the better things in HoU - Deekin. Hilarious conversations. Plus the added trouble of keeping a kobold bard alive, who can resist? :wink:

Erebus

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
Plus the added trouble of keeping a kobold bard alive, who can resist? :wink:

The first time I played, I took him with me in the first two chapters (for the company and the added challenge) and I'm pretty sure I had to raise him at least 15 times.

nomask7

Arcane
I've tried many fan-made campaigns, but none have come even close to HotU in terms of quality and atmosphere. It's about as railroaded as NotR, which is to say it isn't. There are many ways to accomplish shit, and many skippable parts. The atmosphere is SUPERB, especially the latter third is some of the best going in a game.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Are these still one character plus one AI hireling like the OC?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom