Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

Adon

Arcane
oBwclld.gif

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't like with real time combat that party characters fight themselves, it feels like the game is playing itself. with ATB you had control of the whole party, why squeenix of today cannot understand that?

I'll bet you a lot of their decisions were based on market research. I think that someone at Squeenix calculated that they would make more money with Dark Souls combat than with Child of Light combat.

As for the game playing itself, masturbation jokes aside, I think they had to go that direction. Because it's Final Fantasy you have to have a party. And if you're fighting in full-on ARPG combat, you would hate having useless party members following you around watching you get killed.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
But many of us, myself included, are doomed to play every main numbered series in the game 'till we die because the early games have been etched in us since prepubescence. Doesn't matter how shit the game is.

And there you have it. Older gamers who remember the early Final Fantasy titles would love to have their ATB back, but will buy the game regardless. Younger gamers who associate ATB with old-timey Nintendo games want to play something more action-oriented. I think Squeenix has decided that the main Final Fantasy titles will be going in this direction (or rather, has been going in this direction), and any kind of turn-based combat or charming kawaii characters will only be found in Final Fantasy remakes/remasters and Squeenix's other IPs.

---

Arcane
Some interesting informations here (for example, about the skill tree):

Hello friends! I'm here to share my impressions with you today.

So I got to play 1 hour of Final Fantasy XV today (2 30 minutes sessions), I played it on PS4 and it was a brand new build we haven't seen before.

First of all, the game looks absolutely beautiful, really. You guys have to actually play the game before judging graphics.

There's almost no popping anymore, the anti aliasing is good, the draw distance is good, looks like they added even more foliage, also looks like they improved the lighting. Here are some pictures (sorry for the bad quality, off-screen with a phone.)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtsJPpwWYAAR4gj.jpg
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/...32804-abcv.jpg (bad quality but look at the foliage)

I don't even feel like a need a PS4 Pro anymore, gonna stick with OG PS4. Also, they said during the last ATR that the Pro version will just be the PS4 version with 4K + HDR, so no thanks. Also, the game on PS4 was running at a solid 30fps, I didn't notice any drop even when fighting alot of enemies.

Let's talk about the world, the world is MASSIVE and you can feel it instantly, I felt like an ant lost in Eos.

Some events can happen when you're adventuring in the world, that Giant bird creature charged me at some point, it looked amazing. There was also a sandstorm at some point so you couldn't see much in the distance, it looked pretty cool and changed the atmosphere.

The character interactions really impressed me, it's top notch and feels so natural. When you're driving or walking around in the world, they'll sometimes tell jokes, they'll discuss, they'll talk about the current quest, etc. It really made me feel like I was part of the group, like I was there.

I stood still for 2-3 minutes during chapter 0 just listen to the music and it was pretty damn epic, Shimomura is a god. They also added the names next to the characters when we see them for the firs time during chapter 0, small detail but it was maybe to make sure everyone knows it's Noctis & co when they play the game.

Ok, the gameplay now. It's good, really good. Way better than Platinum Demo (and I loved platinum demo's gameplay)

Everything is fluid, I could do alot of combos, swap weapons, etc. I was also able to use a gun in this build, the gameplay with the gun I had was pretty simple, you could just spam firing bullets and you could dodge in every directions while firing.

The link-attacks are also amazing, they happen when one of the bros is close to Noctis and their animations are damn good, there are a ton of different animations it's crazy.

And the combat is VERY satisfying, I loved it. And you know what? I WAS ONLY LEVEL 1. Can't imagine what we'll be able to do later in the game. I didn't have any problems with the camera, but I was only able to play outside, didn't go in a dungeon or anything.

Oh yeah, on a side note, I went to Galdin Quay specifically to try swimming, but there was an invisible wall. I couldn't get in the water, but what I played was a demo so they maybe just disabled it for the demo, I couldn't rent chocobos either because it was a demo. I also try to go to Duscae but the route was closed (probably because you have to advance in the story before being able to go there.)

There was a couple playing together in the beach, they were splashing eachother and laughing, it was cute.

I didn't encounter any glitches or crashes or bug during my playthrough, they fixed some glitches that appeared in the last build like the invisible chair. (check the first screenshot I linked at the beginning)

I also saw what I think is the full Ascencion grid, there are 6 categories now, each catogery = 1 skill tree. Those categories are: Combat, Exploration, Techniques, Teamwork, Stats & Recovery.
The ascencion grid seemed kinda big, and some abilities cost alot of AP. There's a limit break sort of ability for each character and they cost 999AP EACH.

Can't remember much but i'll try to write some skills I read, I saw some sort of "flame" attack with daggers in the skill tree (costs 333 AP), there was also an ability that imbues your weapon automatically with the element your enemy is weak to.

In the "Exploration" category, there was a skill that makes you gain AP when you camp, there was another one that makes you gain AP when you do long drives. In the "teamwork" category, I remember an ability called "Regroup", it regroups the party together in a "defensive stance" or something like that.

Also, the "Airstep" ability is basically just the aerial combos thingy, we basically had infinite airsteps in Platinum Demo, there's no double jump. (#sadface), there was also an ability that makes you gain AP when you land an aerial attack (infinite aerial combos confirmed?!)

But it looks like the last ability of each category costs 999 AP. One of them was "you can now equip 3 accessories" That's all I can remember for now, sorry.

I also saw 2 new loading screens while playing: https://twitter.com/Fotmhero1030/sta...30114465710080

But yeah. I loved what I played, I really think it will be one of my favorite games of all time, if not my favorite!

Sorry if I made any English mistakes, i'm french. Just wanted to share my impressions!

---

Arcane
THE FINAL FANTASY TRADING CARD GAME IS COMING WEST

Square Enix has announced the Final Fantasy Trading Card Game is coming to Europe and the United States on October 28.

The FFTCG has had a six year run in Japan, and the game now spans over 2,000 different cards. It's designed by former pro card game player Taro Kageyama and Shota Yasooka.

FFTCG Starter Sets

The western edition will be fully localized in English, French, German, Spanish, and Italian, however the Italian release date is still yet to be announced.

October 28 will see the release of the first set, called Opus 1, featuring 216 cards with designs from artists such as Tetsuya Nomura, Yoshitaka Amano, and Akihiko Yoshida, and there will be premium foil versions of each card.

The first set will cover 30 years of Final Fantasy, and will include the Final Fantasy VII remake, Dissidia, and World of Final Fantasy for the first time.

In other Final Fantasy tabletop gaming news, FFVII is getting its own version of Monopoly next year.

--- http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09/29/the-final-fantasy-trading-card-game-is-coming-west

Hyperion

Arcane
God almighty Squeenix is spiraling out of fucking control with all of the fucking cashgrabs they're trying with this game.

Part of me wants this game to fail miserably in hopes they realize how abysmal every design and marketing decision since 2002 has been. Not that it would change anything.

---

Arcane
God almighty Squeenix is spiraling out of fucking control with all of the fucking cashgrabs they're trying with this game.

Part of me wants this game to fail miserably in hopes they realize how abysmal every design and marketing decision since 2002 has been. Not that it would change anything.
CtyAWywUEAA97Qj.jpg

:deathclaw:

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Is there also a setting where you don't have to keep two buttons pressed all the time for auto-attack and auto-dodge? I might cramp my fingers.

:troll:

Hyperion

Arcane
In a perfect world, Sakaguchi is sabotaging Square Enix from Hawaii and getting the old gang back together for a new Mistwalker behemoth to restore our faith in Japan. Back on Earth, the art director managed to make a weapon even dumber than the Gun Blade by picking random machinery and attaching it to a sword before saying Sayonara and deciding to make mobile games.

Meanwhile my dumb ass actually paid $80 just for the Amano boxart instead of that homoerotic piece of shit the standard price gets you.

P.S. - That Magitek Soldier one is absolutely hideous. Looks like the Mexican flag was haphazardly transferred to an Xbone controller

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Man the combat looks so boring and you even get a 1 shot spell........

Final Fantasy died when they moved away from full party control pseudo turn based mode, so FF X is the last worthy FF to play.

Thank god for emulators

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
How many cross-media merchandising tie-ins to the game have we seen so far? Feature CGI film and a 6-part anime series for sure, and special-edition xbones. Have we seen action figures yet? I assume FFXV is getting an entry in that card game. Then there's the tamer and more traditional soundtrack offerings, which I can honestly say I'm OK with. I guess if Squeenix has an obligation to its shareholders to maximize profits, then they seem to be pursuing that objective pretty well. But as I can pretty easily shrug off the fanboys' slobbering excitement, I'm still just wondering whether the game is any good.

Hyperion

Arcane
Watching that video I finally understand why Squeenix has to make their games piss easy. I think the player has cerebral palsy.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
The fashion choices of the characters just crack me up. All black, no different colours for different characters.

It reminds me of a video I once saw a while back of a Japanese Boy Band trying to look cool for school with these kind of outfits.

llazy77

Literate
The fashion choices of the characters just crack me up. All black, no different colours for different characters.

It reminds me of a video I once saw a while back of a Japanese Boy Band trying to look cool for school with these kind of outfits.

You can change thire outfits

FFXV_Gamescom_Stills_82_thumb-1.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom