Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favourite characters.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Of course, it's a common problem in games where death is so trivial and suddenly a character dies for good, but Ammon regretting the deed is a nice touch and isn't overdone.

1eyedking

Erudite
Fallout 2's very own Chosen One.

Andyman Messiah said:
Myron, from Fallout 2. James Marsden would grew up to play Cyclops in the X-Men movies but to me he'll always be the brother of Jason Marsden, the voice of Myron, baby! Myron! How the fuck would I quietly assassinate political targets without his super stimpaks? Easily among the top three bestiest boysiest followers you can have in F2. Disagree if you dare, motherfucker! Cyclops got nothing on this whining, fucking worthless piece of shit weakling! Fun fact: I always shoot him in the head before we go to the Enclave. Got no use for him there...
:D

Andrej

Liturgist
Gragt said:
Ammon Jerro isn't a softie; he is tough and determined all the time, and the only moment when we see him break is when he regrets killing Shandra. It doesn't make him any weaker and if anything it is a nice touch that gives some humanity to the character and puts in perspective his fight against the King of Shadows, a fight where he does mostly the wrong thing for the right reasons. Just because his ultimate goal is a selfless one doesn't make him soft, after all he decided to fight evil with evil.
The fact that he was trying to save the world, regardless of method or cost, put him as a good guy in my book. He was determined all the time and tough in carrying out his determination, but as he was determined to save every single puppy in the world - he was a softie.

Gragt said:
If you ask me, the whole idea of vampires living among humans already stretches disbelief so why not a pirate turned biker? I do not really believe he did it for the preservation of his beard, more because it suits Jack's lifestyle. He wants to be free and does not mind living on the fringe of society, even vampire society.
It's cheesy, still. That he'd go autarktis/indie/anarch sympathizer is clear.

I didn't like Beckett at all in Bloodlines, he struck me as pretty damn pointless.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Since we started talking about other medias...

I'd say the best character EVAR is Torquemada from Nemesis the Warlock. He is like all Codex become one in a post-apocalyptic Cleve.

"You are all white men now!"

"I am the supreme bigot! I am the ultimate fascist!"

"Thanks to my bigotry, my hatred, I united the Human Race against the rest of the Galaxy! For the first time in Earth's history, humans no longer kill each other if they're a different colour, creed, or political belief..."

"Oh, beware of books! They, too, are are the work of the deviant! The Evil One who encourages authors to write sly anti-government propaganda! And doubly beware intelligent books! The more elequent, the more clever the tome, the more likely Nemesis himself is behind it! Never read books that make you think! For The Warlock can hide a drop of evil amidst a lake of truth! Stick to mindless trash, I implore you!"

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
zerotol said:
Sarah Kerrigan is the best of course, the king bitch

This.

Also:
- Harold from the Fallouts (his encounter in FO3 was among the not so many good points of the game)
- Therese/Jeanette from Bloodlines; also, Lacroix was nicely done
- Kreia, that fucking bitch
- Wrex, I found him and his back story a lot more interesting than other party members in ME
- Gann from MOTB, I liked having him in the party, especially when you see what he really looks like, in the Academy
- many PST characters are memorable
- many others that I can't think of right now

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Luzur said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdzfOXkZrY0
this Nemesis? i dont remember any Torquemada from that game.
Torquemada is the main antagonist in the actual comic the game is based on.

Casus belli

Liturgist
Andrej said:
Gragt said:
Ammon Jerro isn't a softie; he is tough and determined all the time, and the only moment when we see him break is when he regrets killing Shandra. It doesn't make him any weaker and if anything it is a nice touch that gives some humanity to the character and puts in perspective his fight against the King of Shadows, a fight where he does mostly the wrong thing for the right reasons. Just because his ultimate goal is a selfless one doesn't make him soft, after all he decided to fight evil with evil.
The fact that he was trying to save the world, regardless of method or cost, put him as a good guy in my book. He was determined all the time and tough in carrying out his determination, but as he was determined to save every single puppy in the world - he was a softie.

I'm not sure if you can define him as good - I mean, intentions count (his determination to save the world regardless of method or cost), but actions and their results count more. Remember: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Ugh- I can't believe I'm philosophically interpreting the NWN2 OC. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Qwinn

Scholar
I just finished ME for the first time, and I have to say, I have -no- idea why there's so much disdain for it around here (other than, well, it's the Codex). I think it's a damn fine game, with a -lot- of the things that people around here demand all the time. For example, I think it actually has at least as many real "choices and consequences" as any other "real RPG" out there.

My favorite two characters from it are Ashley and Wrex... I'm actually tempted to say "screw the ally achievements" and just keep going through with them on my replays. And I didn't even get to do the full romance with Ashley, I screwed up in a dialogue somewhere and wound up getting stuck with Liara, whom I hate so much that I basically told her to piss off when she did her Blue Bitch In Heat routine. Oh well, something to look forward to on the replays.

As for favorite characters in other games... most PS:T characters, of course, and I have to say I actually really did like Khelgar from the NWN2 OC. And the dark elf chick from NWN:HotU was pretty cool.

Qwinn

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
its a bad game because its very shallow, short and console style..

Qwinn

Scholar
"Very shallow"? I disagree. There's a -lot- more shallow games out there. It's not -incredibly deep-, fine. It's a game. But it sounds to me like, to call it "very shallow", you have to only have two categories, "incredibly deep" and "very shallow". That's nonsense. I'd say it's pretty much right in the middle.

It did have some interesting plot twists, I thought. Better than most games. As for it being "short", eh, this is mitigated for me somewhat by the fact that it has a very high replay factor. The 2nd game promises to play out significantly different from the first.

Qwinn

Luzur

Good Sir
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Luzur said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdzfOXkZrY0
this Nemesis? i dont remember any Torquemada from that game.
Torquemada is the main antagonist in the actual comic the game is based on.

ah i see, the 2000AD magazines. havent read many of those, although they where popular when i was young.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
I thought the game would be a hardcore RPG, instead i got an action third person shooter with RPG influences.

I agree that very shallow in comparison to most games is incorrect but i compare it to the best of RPG's (PS:T, BG2)

It is a very short game because the side quests on the planets are as dull as they can be and the main quest is incredibly short. I finished it in a couple of days.

How do you find it to have a replay factor anyways? Its not like the main quest changes now does it ? Are you referring to different classes then ?

Qwinn

Scholar
Different classes, paragon vs. renegade, different team mates, unlocking achievements. There's plenty enough there for me to want to play through a 2nd time.

I thought the game would be a hardcore RPG, instead i got an action third person shooter with RPG influences.

I read the Codex and expected complete drivel. Then I played it and found out it was a pretty damn good game, and if I'd listened I'd have missed out.

I agree that very shallow in comparison to most games is incorrect but i compare it to the best of RPG's (PS:T, BG2)

When something can only pale in comparison to the best entries in a genre, that alone puts it near the top of its genre.

If you only ever compare to the very best, you're going to be perpetually disappointed. I prefer to compare to the median/average. Makes life a lot less disappointing.

Qwinn

Qwinn

Scholar
Actually, I should add that one reason this game is more replayable to me than most is because in most games, the "evil" path is a non-starter. I have no desire to play a maniacal psychotic with no redeeming qualities and no care if the world burns down around him. In this way, I think ME has a lot -more- depth than most games. Renegade isn't "evil", he still wants to save the galaxy (as anyone -sane- would want to), he just does it with less patience for multiculti platitudes than the Paragon and with a lot of snark. I seriously wish more games would do alignments in this fashion than the stereotypical "good" and "evil" paths.

Qwinn

Vibalist

Arcane
Qwinn said:
I just finished ME for the first time, and I have to say, I have -no- idea why there's so much disdain for it around here (other than, well, it's the Codex). I think it's a damn fine game, with a -lot- of the things that people around here demand all the time. For example, I think it actually has at least as many real "choices and consequences" as any other "real RPG" out there.

I agree it has choices alright, but where are the consequences?

Imbecile

Arbiter
Qwinn said:
Actually, I should add that one reason this game is more replayable to me than most is because in most games, the "evil" path is a non-starter. I have no desire to play a maniacal psychotic with no redeeming qualities and no care if the world burns down around him. In this way, I think ME has a lot -more- depth than most games. Renegade isn't "evil", he still wants to save the galaxy (as anyone -sane- would want to), he just does it with less patience for multiculti platitudes than the Paragon and with a lot of snark. I seriously wish more games would do alignments in this fashion than the stereotypical "good" and "evil" paths.

Qwinn

I liked that too. It wasn't a bad game, but the exploration of planets is lousy, the "force" abilities more or less do exactly the same thing, and the dialogue is patchy. Its true that Bioware tend to have the classic three choices, but sometimes the Codex only seem to have two. "The greatest thing since sliced bread", or "Mother! My eyes are bleeding again!!!"

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Qwinn said:

It was marketed as the ultimate rpg, which by far it isnt. Its a good game but not a good rpg. If i would compare it to a same 'genre' game, i would compare it to Bioshock which was a much better game for me.

Qwinn

Scholar
In terms of consequences from gameplay choices, the achievements provide many.

In terms of consequences from dialogue choices, there is as much consequences -in dialogue- as you could ask for. As an example, go talk to the Ambassador and Captain in the Alliance Embassy after every main mission quest, and your choices will always be reflected in that dialogue. I don't have a problem with consequences being mainly in dialogue... what I find really obnoxious is when no one even -notices- your choices. I like how your choices are reflected in the "news" in the elevator rides as well.

Now, if you're requiring that dialogue choices have deep implications in the actual gameplay of the game... well, let me ask you, what choice did you make in the game where you felt there should have been a serious consequence that didn't happen?

And I do think we'll see some of the choices in ME1 have consequences in ME2, but of course we'll have to wait and see on that.

Qwinn

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Andrej said:

I wonder if we played the same game. He leads an army of demons and had few villages burned because it was in his way. He wants to save the world from the King of Shadows but applies the "need of the many over the need of the few". He won't hesitate to kill anyone in his way, even his granddaugther. If that's your idea of a softie, I do not want to imagine what your grandpa did to you when you woke him up from his afternoon snoze.

Andrej said:
It's cheesy, still. That he'd go autarktis/indie/anarch sympathizer is clear.

I didn't like Beckett at all in Bloodlines, he struck me as pretty damn pointless.

He's not really an anarchist sympathizer, he just doesn't care about politics, only the uncovering of knowledge and truth. I guess that if he had to side, he'd likely go to the anarchs but he doesn't have to. He's one of the only Bloodlines characters who has no part in the power struggle, his only goal is to seek the truth in the matter of the sarcophagus.

Qwinn

Scholar
He won't hesitate to kill anyone in his way, even his granddaugther.

Well, to be fair, he didn't -know- she was his granddaughter when he killed her. I don't think he would've killed her had he known that.

Qwinn

Vibalist

Arcane
Qwinn said:
In terms of consequences from gameplay choices, the achievements provide many.

In terms of consequences from dialogue choices, there is as much consequences -in dialogue- as you could ask for. As an example, go talk to the Ambassador and Captain in the Alliance Embassy after every main mission quest, and your choices will always be reflected in that dialogue. I don't have a problem with consequences being mainly in dialogue... what I find really obnoxious is when no one even -notices- your choices. I like how your choices are reflected in the "news" in the elevator rides as well.

Now, if you're requiring that dialogue choices have deep implications in the actual gameplay of the game... well, let me ask you, what choice did you make in the game where you felt there should have been a serious consequence that didn't happen?

I dunno. It's been a while since I played ME, but I just remember thinking that the choices you got at the end of each planet were mainly astetic, in the sense that the game would progress in the usual manner regardless of whether you chose paragon or renegade option. I played the game twice, as both good and evil, and it's not as if anything was majorly different about those two experiences.
On the other hand, when thinking about it codex favorites like MoTB weren't really that different from this, so maybe I'm just expecting too much.

I liked ME too by the way. It was a cool little game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom