Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Faux Gothic: Let's play ArcaniA: Fall of Setarrif! (Done!!)

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
abnaxus said:
pc6.jpg
Adanos is a woman? And what about Innos and Beliar?
What a tweest.

avgn.jpg

SERIOUSLY?! :x

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Do you have melee weapons that increase your ranged attack power in those screenshots?

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
I see that the Derridean deconstruction of the divinites of Gothic has been applied to the combat engine as well. After all, neither melee nor ranged combat would make sense without the other to contrast with, and isn't melee just ranged combat except you keep your hand on the weapon?

I'm glad for the philosophical turn the series has taken.

lightbane

Arcane
*reads the latest update*

:retarded:

WHAT??? Adanos is now a woman?? And she left the world?? But the Water Mages still worship her!!

My brian hurts, too much derp :retarded:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Let's get this shit over and done with.

:yeah:

The magic barrier had been weakened, and it's not like I had anywhere else to go.

So I went down the non-non-linear path...

...leading to the volcano entrance.

Archdemon, beware!

The first thing I saw was a group of the possessed working on fortifications. Realistic!

Then I came across a most gruesome sight: a dismembered troll. Did they plan on... eating that thing?

Unholy rituals were obviously practised there. I had to eradicate the evil (tm)!

Poisonous gases abounded there.

My life energy diminished as I stepped on the pools of green, so I had to carefully make my way by jumping across like a grasshopper.

The surroundings were becoming quite surreal. Happens when you inhale certain substances.

There also were some electricity-spewing machines attached to the wall. I had to make my way around those too.

Mining for sulphur was a priority as well.
:thumbsup:

And then I saw it...

...the possessed troll! :yikes:

Good thing my weapon was overpowered as hell, paralysing the troll every couple of hits.

The troll ears were my epic trophy.

Another troll was accompanied by a possessed mage.

A burden? I was about to relieve him of it.

And the third troll was cooperating with... two mages! That made perfect sense.

The bastard was trying to block my blows, but I paralysed him and then -- chop-chop.

The defence mechanisms were getting more and more complicated: fire and electricity. Ouch.

And then it began.

Trash mobs upon trash mobs.

Up above and down below.

They were having fun. I wasn't.

Ewww.

I started wondering if that was ever going to end.

But the cannon fodder just kept on coming.

The descent to the undermountain was long, with poisonous stuff all around me.

The trash mobs ceased to arrive, but the path was long. Too long.

And again, I had to hop and hop around.

"All over my body"? The words still echo in my ear... I shudder to think of it.

They were even trying to bombard me from above, duh.

I was finally approaching... something.

Along the way, I found and equipped a new shiny ring. So cool.

Magma spiders and more electricity. One good thing about it was, the electricity harmed not just me, but the spider as well.

Fancy.

A prisoner, huh? I decided to take a look.

ethorn1.jpg
Who are you? Has Karella sent you?

pc7.jpg
No, Rhobar sent me to help you.

ethorn1.jpg
So that's how low we've stooped. Now even our worst enemies need to help us.

pc7.jpg
You are Ethorn?!

ethorn1.jpg
Yes, the king of Aargan, and a cursed man.

ethorn1.jpg
I know. Now I know.

ethorn1.jpg
We are lost. You, me, the whole world.

pc7.jpg
No, we can still defeat the demon with the power of my smile.

ethorn1.jpg
Ha! Have you ever seen a creature so powerful that it can conjure fire to make the whole mountain burst?

pc7.jpg
No, I haven't.

ethorn1.jpg
I have. I have seen it with my own eyes.

:pete:

pc7.jpg
I have recovered the holy artefacts from the burial temple of the Setarrifian kings underneath the town.

ethorn1.jpg
Why do you lie?

pc7.jpg
Yes, there is. The earthquake revealed it.

(Convenient, wasn't it?)

ethorn1.jpg
And how are these artefacts from that temple supposed to help us?

pc7.jpg
Your ancestors used them to fight against the Jharkendar and their demons.

ethorn1.jpg
The Seal of the Goddess? A shield?

pc7.jpg
Yes. Have you seen it?

ethorn1.jpg
A servant of the demon recently passed by my cell. He had a shield on him, but... he took it to the demon.

:pete:

pc7.jpg
Why did you summon the demon to Setarrif?

ethorn1.jpg
It was the last chance I saw to save Setarrif from the Myrtanians.

pc7.jpg
I understand, but... How did you learn about the demon in the first place?

ethorn1.jpg
Thorus brought an Orc to my court, a shaman. He knew about the demon, he knew how to summon and control it...

pc7.jpg
How did he know all this?

ethorn1.jpg
An old Orcish prophecy mentioned it, and... it was right!

pc7.jpg
Why did you lose control over the demon?

ethorn1.jpg
The shaman... He interrupted his magic after the demon had defeated the Myrtanians.

ethorn1.jpg
And then the demon descended on Setarrif. It all went so fast, I didn't have the time to behead Grosh.

pc7.jpg
The Orc shaman was called Grosh?

ethorn1.jpg
Yes.

pc7.jpg
Then Lester killed him for you.

ethorn1.jpg
Lester?

pc7.jpg
The Mor-Grash with war paint? The friendly guy with the tattoos on his face?

pc7.jpg
So did the demon drag you here?

ethorn1.jpg
No, I followed the demon, when it entered the mountain. I was going to kill it :)roll:), but...

ethorn1.jpg
A rock hit me and knocked me down, and then... I woke up in this cell.

Sad story, bro. But I must be off.

So let's see where that demon is hiding... oh my, behind lots of stationary firepower.

This must be the place.

Yup. The exclamation mark never lies.

This... is the dreaded super duper powerful archdemon that made the volcano split in two?

:retarded:

:lol:

Oops, homing missiles. All right, I take that back!

Blah blah. Let me just kill you.

Oh damn, it summons the minions.

Golems, skeletons, you know the drill.

Fuuuck, I'm being attacked from all sides.

Being a melee guy, I can only whack the demon during the short moments he descends to the surface.

demon.jpg
I have seen your end! Why don't you die?

'Cause I'm the chosen one, silly.

demon.jpg
Die!

demon.jpg
Devour him!

demon.jpg
I want to be a dragon!

And then it ends. The arch demon is defeated.

I was just getting ready for a proper (derpy) ending, in which our smiling hero would recover the Seal of the Goddess and banish the demon with everyone cheering him up, but it looks like the devs had no time to flesh it out, so only a brief ending cutscene ensues.

Bye-bye, nasty demon!

The demon goes down.

Disappearing in the sea of lava.

And the screen fades to black.

and even though the traces of its corrupting presence could be seen all over

In a field where their armies had clashed time and time again

Peace, ladies and gents.

Smile, dammit.

You don't have to do that! We can defeat them!

And all's right with the world.

*Flash of light*

Time and weather have taken their toll on the wooden path between your house and the pit surrounded by a circle of scary stone faces. For a long time you stand near the circle, dazed and lost, overcome by the disorienting journey between worlds. But these woods are too familiar to lead you far astray. Turning away from the morning sun, a short walk brings you to the doorstep of your own long-deserted house.

Much time has passed since the night you left, but your front door is unlocked and opens at a touch, as if to finally greet you home. Entering, you lay to rest your arms that served you in your quest. Gone are the dark feelings, the dizziness, the nausea, and the despair. Gone is the pain of being in the world of ArcaniA. Gone also are your TV set, stereo, and living-room furniture; a reminder that Evil dwells still within your own world. This Evil, however, is to you much preferable to what you've been through.

That night you lie safe and warm in your own bed, and the comfort of your home offers you peace. All questions in your mind have been laid to rest. Who cares about ArcaniA's fate? Who cares how King Rhobar fares? Who cares if the demon has been irreversibly banished and the truce between Rhobar and Ethorn lasts, or if innocent blood is going to be spilt again? You no longer seek any answers; all the answers you might want are to be found in this, not that world. Sleep quickly comes and you embrace it willingly, dreaming only the sweetest dreams.

The nightmare is over at last. Hopefully there won't be a third adventure. The world of ArcaniA can rest in peace.

lightbane

Arcane
Awesome. :thumbsup:

Even though the endgame is filled with trash mobs and linear corridors, it's still better than the latest DA2's DLCs, which should tell you something about Bioware's audience.

LexRk.jpg

I miss the old-school trolls that were impossible to harm until you used a special spell.

Ha! Have you ever seen a creature so powerful that it can conjure fire to make the whole mountain burst?

The Nameless Bearded Hero (mage version): *Laughs and spams Rain of Fire, burning an entire city to ashes*

DnNQl.jpg

I like how the (pitiful) Archdemon has an exclamation sign so that you can't miss it :lol:

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
I don't understand why this needed the Gothic name. Value judgement aside for a minute, it seems like a dramatically different game than its predecessors. I don't object to RTS games on principle, but it'd be silly to call it a Civilization game... (Revolutions, damn it.) Likewise, why call this Gothic? It's clearly not intended to appeal to long-time fans of the series, so the marketing angle makes little sense to me.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Awesome. That was the perfect right amount of derp in the final sequences, including the grossly underwhelming archdemon.

Great job, Bee, a grateful nation thanks thee. :salute:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
:salute:

In following the teachings of this LP, I have found the blessing of Retardo (permanent -1 INT and WIS).

The exclamation mark never lies.
Wet and raving
The exclamation keeps calling me back
To bloody my hands forever
Carved my cure with the blade
That left me in scars
Now every time I'm weak
Words scream from my arm

Also, I think Lord British mumbled something about the ending pastiche inspiring him for the next release... But it's hard to say, he's not exactly easy to hear through that damn space suit...

Kz3r0

Arcane
So to create this abominable piece of code they needed to steal Realms of Arcania name and the Gothic franchise?

:rage:

:x

DaveO

Erudite
That final boss fight looked ludicrously easy. I guess it's better to make sure nobody cries that they can't complete this, although I have to wonder what audience would buy it. I think most Codexers could come up with more inspired content in their sleep.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Exclamation points sure are popular.

I gave up on Vogel when he put them in is most recent game.

Fuck your exclamation points!

Erebus

Arcane
Nice LP, especially given how boring most of the game seems to be !

DnNQl.jpg

Good thing there's an exclamation point, or the end boss wouldn't appear to be more than the many random monsters you've killed throughout the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom