Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Famous and memorable RPG quotes

Black_Willow

Arcane
"What makes you think you can save the Universe when you couldn't even save me" Fatima from Anachronox.

1eyedking

Erudite
Fallout 2 is filled with witty quotes. One that really cracked me up was Seymour the Plant's "I wonder how my cousins in Arroyo are doing? I hope they're flourishing." :D

Refer yourselves to Per's excellent walkthrough and read the ones below each chapter title for just a sip.

Texas Red

Whiner
Zero Credibility said:
Torment

"The sphere wrinkles in your hands, the skin of the sphere peeling away into tears and turning into a rain of bronze that encircles you. Each droplet, each fragment that enters you, you feel a new memory stirring, a lost love, a forgotten pain, an ache of loss - and with it, comes the great pressure of regret, regret of careless actions, the regret of suffering, regret of war, regret of death, and you feel your mind begin buckling from the pressure - so MUCH, all at once, so much damage done to others... so much so an entire FORTRESS may be built from such pain. And suddenly, through the torrent of regrets, you feel the first incarnation again. His hand, invisible and weightless, is upon your shoulder, steadying you. He doesn't speak, but with his touch, you suddenly remember your name. ...and it is such a simple thing, not at all what you thought it might be, and you feel yourself suddenly comforted. In knowing your name, your true name, you know that you have gained back perhaps the most important part of yourself. In knowing your name, you know yourself, and you know, now, there is very little you cannot do."

Whenever I read something artsy and inspiring like this I get a "crawling sensation at the back of head", just like TNO.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
"And I realized that I could never escape my terrible destiny, I had merely postponed it. History abhors a paradox."

That cliffhanger was so frustratring yet so promising.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
"What? Oh, man, and you're a God damn Malkavian too. Wow, you really are fucked." - Jack, VtMB

"What, do I look a crate shy of a load? Did you even see the Death Claw?" "Been there, saw that, killed it." - Butch and Vault Dweller, Fallout

"Uh, congratulations on defeating the Enclave. Did you catch them all in the bathroom, too?" - Urinating man, Fallout 2

"You see a good-looking black man...er, no, wait. You see T-Ray." - Fallout 2

"ETHYL Wright? That blesst woman! Keeps me off th' drink, an' on th' straight n' narrow. (Takes a swig.)", "Now I'm onna straight and narrow, thankz to Missus Wright...bless her soul. I've been clean fer almost a...uh, month. Or wazzit a week? Aw, hell, I don't know." - father Tully, Fallout 2

bgillisp

Scholar
One I always recall is from Dragon Quest 8:

"If it is a choice between marrying that guy and being a horse, well, serve me up a grass sandwich!"

And while not an RPG, I always liked the quotes from Outcast. Anyone ever play it? Two I recall from that game are as follows:

"What can go wrong, its a simple repair operation. Let's see, I'm stranded on an alien planet, I'm separated from my crew, all I have to my name is an HPK-12 and 30 rounds of ammunition, and the rest of my equipment is being worshiped by the natives as rosary beads! I think that puts this mission somewhere south of foobar!"
Alien: "Excuse me...what is foobar?" - Intro sequence, Outcast

Character: "Are you sure Ulaki (sp?) is not just short for the first bank of Alepha?" - In response to having to give money for a hint, Outcast

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I have the French version of Outcast so I guess my dialogs are a bit different than yours.

"So that's why I got this tag on my shirt, I thought one of your friends mistook me for a subway train."

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
About 75% of these should come from PST. That game had the best writing ever.

My all time favorite:

NAMELESS ONE: "Then my final question is this - what can change the nature of a man?"

THE TRANSCENDENT ONE: "THAT QUESTION HAS NO MEANING."

NAMELESS ONE: "Nonetheless, before there is ending between us, I will hear your answer."

THE TRANSCENDENT ONE: "THEN MY ANSWER IS THIS, AND YOU ARE ITS PROOF: *NOTHING* CAN CHANGE THE NATURE OF A MAN."

NAMELESS ONE: “If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear – whatever you *believe* can change the nature of a man, can.”

THE TRANSCENDENT ONE: "THEN YOU LEARNED A FALSE LESSON, BROKEN ONE."

NAMELESS ONE: “Have I? I’ve seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil’s hag heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me.”

Goddamn.

ghostdog said:
Well, since that makes you my new boss, take a good look at Manderley's dead body. Consider that my resignation. I don't have time to write a letter." JC Denton

"Somehow the notion of unalienable liberty got lost. It's really become a question of what liberties will the state assign to individuals or rather, what liberties we will have the strength to cling to." Paul Denton

Ah, Deus Ex...That game had some good lines too.

MORPEHUS: "Existence is a question posed by nature, and answered by death. You are a different question, with a different answer."

JC: "Were you programmed to invent riddles?"

And later on in the conversation:

"You will soon find your god, and you will make it with your own hands."

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Another nice one from DX:

"When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror."

Outcast was brilliant. I remember particularly well that guy from whom you buy your steed. "Will you sing songs to him when he's sad?" and something like twenty questions along those lines.

Squeek

Scholar
"When Tiax rules, britches will not ride up so wedge-like."

Atomic

Augur
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Once my thirst for power was everything. And now I hunger only for revenge. AND I WILL HAVE IT!
- Irenicus

The Exar

Liturgist
"As my power touched him, Dak'kon took a staggered breath, then looked up weakly. It looked like he was barely clinging to life.
“Once, Dak'kon, you made the Pronouncement of Two Deaths as One. It is that time.”
As I spoke the words, Dak'kon’s eyes closed — for a moment, I thought he couldn’t hold on to life any longer — then they opened, and his eyes were no longer the dead black I remembered. Instead, they carried the metal texture of his blade, and I knew that Dak'kon had become something else — something far more powerful. Dak'kon took a breath, then steadied himself, his blade sharpening as I watched.
“This blade is yours.”

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
"I won't be losing any sleep over it" -Grunty in JA2, after blowing up a sweatshop full of children.

A user named cat

"When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail.""

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom