Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout: New Vegas Infos surfaced

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Droog White Smile said:
Do you play games for their story/dialogs?

I don't play too many games but when I do, yes. In fact that's what attracted me to Fallout in the first place.

Do you hate popular games just because they're popular?

Uh...no?

circ

Arcane
The Feral Kid said:
All topics about Obshitian, the same fucking thing. How their hands are tied by evil publishers who won't let them do their job, and when in the end the game sucks it's not their fault. Reading any topic about them is like watching a tearjerker with their canceled games, deadlines, and dates pushed back. If they don't have creative control on their work yet it's their fault.

Apparently. KoTOR 2 is buggy and unfinished! Blame LucasArts for wanting to ship it too soon, instead of Feargus promising too much too soon! NWN 2 is buggy and the story and pretty much everything else sucks! Blame Atari, those greedy fucks! MoTB is 'awesome', atleast the story is, but everything else got somehow ignored. Blame Atari again? FUCK Aliens was going to be the best RPG ever! What the fuck were you thinking SEGA, you don't know shit! AP keeps getting pulled back, why, it's the most awesome RPG ever this is Obsidian! SEGA you stupid fucks!

This is like that thing Troika was talking about. The only thing keeping Obsidian afloat is dumbing down and hype. I doubt the casual Obsidian consumer has any clue about the triumvirate of Feargus, Sawyer and MCA. Troika didn't dumb down a la BioWare, Obsidian, Bethesda, and look what happened.

TwinkieGorilla said:
Droog White Smile said:
Do you play games for their story/dialogs?

I don't play too many games but when I do, yes. In fact that's what attracted me to Fallout in the first place.
Playing a game for the story is like eating soup because you like the spoon.

FO1's story was like, "lol go get a water chip". And then you finally find it, it's "now go kill the muties lol". That's it. Was it worth it for you to play through the game just to hear the Overseer and the Master's dialogs?

Dny

Educated
Obsidian published their first game in 2004. Fast forward and we're in 2010 and they still are a bunch of losers who follow every trend they can instead of setting them.

Bioware was successful with KOTOR ? Let's make KOTOR 2.
Bioware was successful with NWN ? Let's make NWN2.
Let's make plenty of NWN2 addons.
Bioware was successful with Mass Effect ? Let's make Alpha Protocol (the similarities are uncanny. Third person shooter in Unreal Engine 3 using dumbed down dialogue with three set paths, in ME being Paragon-Neutral-Renegade and AP pretending it has three spy personalities).
Bethesda was successful with Fallout 3 ? Let's make New Vegas.

Obsidian had six years to prove they're more than just a pile of second-rate programmers (as proved by the fact their games have ten times more bugs than the originals) doing hackjobs onto well known game franchises and they failed.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The Feral Kid said:
Brother None said:
Errr, Feral Kid, no one is currently talking about evil publishers, and I don't recall seeing anyone bring it up in this thread, until you just did.
Where publishers replace with Beth/engine/Vats "tying" their hands for this occasion.

Tying? They were offered to do a game on Fallout 3's engine and accepted. There's no tying their hands, there's no one who said it's tying their hands. It just is what it is, and you either can live with that or you can't.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Droog White Smile said:
FO1's story was like, "lol go get a water chip". And then you finally find it, it's "now go kill the muties lol". That's it.

Oh. Shit. I forgot how you are right and I am wrong. Fallout 3 is awexxome!!! lol!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Brother None said:
Tying? They were offered to do a game on Fallout 3's engine and accepted. There's no tying their hands, there's no one who said it's tying their hands. It just is what it is, and you either can live with that or you can't.

Because, obviously, Obsidian should have went all :rebel: and completely declined the offer.

Fallout was never about the story, it has always been about the world. I mean, just compare PS:T's dialogs to FO's. Fallout's ones are very short and precise, so you never waste any time reading some boring fluff.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Droog White Smile said:
Fallout was never about the story, it has always been about the world.

Are you forgetting the part where you said story/dialogue? By that I'd imagine you mean writing. And any game without great writing isn't worth my time. Nice to know you have enough time on your hands to play dress-up and 'Assplode/Assplore!' LARP, though. Good for you!

*head-pat*

TwinkieGorilla said:
great writing
This baffles me.

Really, what was so great about Fallout's writing? Anyone thinking that it was something exceptional is delusional. It was very compact and always straight to the point.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Brother None said:
The Feral Kid said:
Brother None said:
Errr, Feral Kid, no one is currently talking about evil publishers, and I don't recall seeing anyone bring it up in this thread, until you just did.
Where publishers replace with Beth/engine/Vats "tying" their hands for this occasion.

No maybe their hands are not tied - to the extent such a thing is possible - given what they have to work with (shitty engine/combat system, follow-up to a big-selling title). But I think you need to read the topic more carefully and see that there are others who are afraid of the game's failure and are lining up their excuses already, not me.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Droog White Smile said:
Really, was was so great about Fallout's writing? Anyone thinking that it was something exceptional is delusional.

Ok. So you shouldn't be so upset, eh? You're talking to a delusional fool. Now go reinstall your naked mods and LARP away! Hurry! Time's-a-wasting!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Exploration-based larping vs pick a dialogue line larping

Which is better and why?
DISCUSS!!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Droog White Smile said:
Really, was was so great about Fallout's writing? Anyone thinking that it was something exceptional is delusional. It was very compact and always straight to the point.

Which stops it from being great...how?

It's a very limited mind that can not understand that good writing does not necessitate florid, long writing. Good writing, especially in video games, is a quality of how convincing and/or sympathetic the characters are, how human and understandable their motives, and how engaging the story.

Trying to judge writing by flordity or word count is idiotic. Risen was one of the best-written games of last year, how much did that have to do with its word-count?

TwinkieGorilla said:
Droog White Smile said:
Really, what was so great about Fallout's writing? Anyone thinking that it was something exceptional is delusional.

Ok. So you shouldn't be so upset, eh? You're talking to a delusional fool. Now go reinstall your naked mods and LARP away! Hurry! Time's-a-wasting!
Yeah, right. Convincing the end boss to commit suicide with 6 short dialog lines is a sign of great writing.

Really, you should pick up ANY book. You'll be instantly surprised by "amazing" writing.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Droog White Smile said:
Really, you should pick up ANY book. You'll be instantly surprised by "amazing" writing.

We're not discussing books, don't change the straw, holmes.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Droog White Smile said:
Yeah, right. Convincing the end boss to commit suicide with 6 short dialog lines is a sign of great writing.

Are you talking about Fallout 3? I will admit the sequence of getting the President to blow himself up is an example of brevity coupled with enormous idiocy.

Droog White Smile said:

Because judging a medium that uses both words, images and interactivity to get its message across by the standards of a non-interactive medium that has only words makes so much sense.

Hell, even if that did make sense, it is still irrelevant how well any game compares to a book, since they're not competing with books, they're competing with each other, and Fallout was well-written, both for its time, but even moreso now, when the standard is set by horribly-written games like Fallout 3 winning awards.

Brother None said:
Droog White Smile said:
Really, was was so great about Fallout's writing? Anyone thinking that it was something exceptional is delusional. It was very compact and always straight to the point.

Which stops it from being great...how?
Not enough exposure?

How can you relate to the characters if the writing is always "strictly business". "Hey, hello, there, I'm mayor of this town, are you interested in killing radscorpions/fat gangster dude?".

Brother None said:
Droog White Smile said:

Are you talking about Fallout 3? I will admit the sequence of getting the President to blow himself up is an example of brevity coupled with enormous idiocy.
No, I'm talking about the Master.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Droog White Smile said:

No, you're talking about Compu-Prez.

The master's dialogue trees are much more complex than your hyperbolic simplification.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
circ said:
The only thing keeping Obsidian afloat is dumbing down and hype.

With the hype being due to their association with Bio and lately with Beth.

Troika didn't dumb down a la BioWare, Obsidian, Bethesda, and look what happened.

That's an industry problem and it is responsible for the current state of gaming and rpgs in particular. They enforced this dumbing-down to games because they had the arrogance to believe they know better than us what we want. As if before that, when games were more complex, companies didn't sell any games and didn't make any profit.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Droog White Smile said:
How can you relate to the characters if the writing is always "strictly business"

Because a good writer can still write a personality into short phrases. Especially with Fallout's excellent voice acting.

I'm sorry, am I supposed to relate more with BioWare's characters because they bore me with their badly-written life story at the drop of a hat? Are you joking?

Droog White Smile said:

Question: does the Master commit suicide because of what you say, or because of a fact he completely overlooked that you point out?

The Prez is convinced by dialogue alone, and really, really, incredibly badly written dialogue.
The Master is convinced by facts. Why would you need long speeches to present facts?

Brother None said:
The Prez is convinced by dialogue alone, and really, really, incredibly badly written dialogue.
Funny you say that, because President John Henry Eden is one of the best characters in FO3. It's a quality parody of many of America's lying politicians. Also, perfect voice acting. The "frank discussions" on the Enclave radio were extremely well done.

Hello, my beautiful America. This is President Eden, and it’s time we had a talk. It’s time we discussed something rather important. The issue at hand is, well, my presidency. The question has been raised, I know, as to just how I came to be elected to this most illustrious office. Or whether or not I had been elected at all. To that I must answer; of course. Of course I was elected, sweet America, of course. Isn’t the right to vote the very foundation of a democracy? Unfortunately, in the interest of national security, I am not at liberty to discuss the details of the election, you understand. But rest assured, I am your president because the appropriate people of this great nation decided I should be. I am your duly elected representative. Of course, when the time comes, when my term is up, America will be free to elect a new president. And that person will have our full faith and confidence, and carry our collective values forward into the future. Democracy, dear America. Democracy now, and forever. We’ve got to part now, you and I, but don’t be sad America. The Enclave is working tirelessly, to rebuild this great nation, so you don’t have to. Until we meet again, this is President Eden, signing off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom