Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout: New Vegas - By Obsidian, For Bethesda

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
This is like that thing Cleve was talking about.

denizsi

Arcane
Just you wait until ZeniMax buys Obsidian from, whoever currently owns them, and appoints another Bethesda janitor as the executive producer to them.

MetalCraze

Arcane
VonVentrue said:
Replace Vault Boy's head with the Obsidian logo.
Brace yourselves for Obsidian's vision of Bethesda's pathetic excuse for a vision of the Fallout franchise.

Oh poor poor Obsidian. Those evil monsters at Bethesda forced Obsidian to do an addon.
More like replace Hines head with the Obsidian logo, amirite?

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, I guess nothing will truly ever please the codex...

I wonder what would make "good news" in terms of Fallout? Let me guess:
- Obsidian goes bankrupt, but all devs that used to work on Fallout 1 and 2 decide to start a new company; the new company is called Black Isle Resurfaced
- the new Black Isle hires Tim Cain and Leon Boyarski
- Bethesda, seeing this new force on the rpg development market, decides to give them the Fallout license for free, "because they are such fans of Fallout"
- Black Isle then starts working on Fallout: A New Beginning, with the combined powers of the original Fallout developers
- the game comes out, it's a huge commercial success and then Codex hive mind decides this is the best game ever
- the world ends

Seriously, is there really any possible better news for how the Fallout name will be used?
Maybe Bioware should make it? Or Troika Reborn? or CD Projekt?
The situation is not ideal, but this news brings a shred of hope. There will be plenty of time for bitching around, for now I suggest we give Obsidian the benefit of the doubt.

sheek

Arbiter
Agree with Kthx. Fallout 3 was already a decent game, and Obsidian do make some decent stories/dialog (but fail as badly as Oblivion-era Bethesda in other areas). The main concern is that it is just a cheap money making rip-off which the one year development cycle suggests.

MetalCraze

Arcane
1. There are no devs that worked on F1 and F2 in Obsidian
2. There are nearly none of Black Isle devs in Obsidian
Most of BIS devs are in Blizzard btw.

Stop giving such credit to Obsidian, it is a totally different studio than Black Isle and much much less talented.

sheek

Arbiter
Maybe Blizzard should develop it?

I do not know where Obsidian got their Codex reputation from.

Vibalist

Arcane
racofer said:
Since Obsidian is making this one, it will undoubtedly have a good storyline and very interesting, intricate plot. Whoever, it will also feature only 70% of the game by the time it is released, and the rest will be modded by the community in a few years. Of course, they will also butcher an already fucked up engine, requiring three times the computing power that current fallout 3 does.

Also:

<s>Bethesda</s> Lucasarts has surprised one and all this afternoon with the shock announcement of a brand new <s>Fallout</s> KotOR title for PC and next-consoles next year.
next year
next year
next year

So, Obsidian once again biting more than they can chew, producing a sequel with a very tight deadline.

<s>Lucasarts, no wait, ATARI, wait.. SEGA..no no... oh yeah,</s> Bethesda!! RUSHED OBSIDIAN INTO RELEASIN TIHS GAEM BEFOR TEH SCHEDUEL !!

Just because it was only announced today it doesn't mean they haven't been working on it for a while.

Cross posting this shit.

Anyway, I'd be a lot more excited about this if it wasn't using the Fallout 3 engine, because Fallout 3's engine pretty much damns this game to a lot of Fallout 3's flaws. Especially in Obsidian's hand, as they make combat worse than Bethesda.

I'd be excited for some good writing, but then I remembered NWN2, which had godawful writing and was done by Obsidian. Not to mention, their Fallout alums worked on Fallout 2, which pretty much abandoned any sort of setting consistency for the lulz. Sure, Fallout 2 was funny, but the setting was raped there first, not Tactics, not PoS, and not Fallout 3. Then again, I'm one of those guys that think Fallout 1 was the only good "Fallout" in a lot of ways.

Maybe they'll make a good game, but I'm not holding my breath. Obsidian has yet to release a good game (read: not expansion), despite their pedigree. Maybe this will be their chance. Or maybe it will be the final nail in the coffin alongside a consolized Alpha Protocol as far as hopes for a good RPG studio being made out of Obsidian.

At the least it should be interesting to see the Codex tear itself apart if the first news comes in and it sounds exactly like Bethesda hype-speak.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Vibalist said:
Just because it was only announced today it doesn't mean they haven't been working on it for a while.

Actually, this is probably related to the new contract Obsidian was mentioning last week. So they probably just started working...

Drakron

Arcane
Lets see what comes out.

Despite all the Nostradamus here saying FO3 would be Oblivion with Gun it end up being more then that and the Gamebryo engine is not that bad, besides for most part Combat in Fallout was always shitty.

Deleted member 7219

The Codex really is pathetic. The Fallout franchise is back in the hands of a real RPG developer - the remnants of Black Isle, the guys who created Fallout in the first place. Nothing will ever please you lot if it doesn't start in T and end in a.

Silellak

Cipher
Darth Roxor said:
Kthan75 said:
Seriously, is there really any possible better news for how the Fallout name will be used?

Or how about people just leave it alone?

I don't see why. What's the worst-case scenario if people keep making Fallout games? Sure, they could all be crappy, but that's not going to retroactively make the games you DO like in the franchise suck. Does it dilute the franchise? Probably, but it also might revive interest in the original games, and that's never a bad thing. It's not like the franchise can really get any worse than BoS.

I'd rather take a chance that we might see a true Fallout sequel further down the line, even if it means enduring lesser Fallout games in the meantime.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Kthan75 said:
Well, I guess nothing will truly ever please the codex...

I wonder what would make "good news" in terms of Fallout? Let me guess:
- Bethesda goes belly-up, and Fallout dies a peaceful death.

Good guess. Just fucking stomp that old gem out, and cease production of these failed abortions; do us all a favor. :cool:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Pastel said:
Wait what the fuck? Bethesda+Obsidian? Do we like this or hate this or what?
Fuck it was better back when things were simpler.

And people thought Bethesda was incapable of doing shades of grey.

Antagonist

Liturgist
There's no chance that the game will resemble in any way to Fallout 1 or 2. This game is a remittance work and planned for PC and all major consoles so Bethesda will make sure that Obsidian doesn't stray too much from the path that was established with Fallout 3. The only thing which appears realistic to me is a little more consistency and better quest/NPC design but Bethesda can cast their veto if it doesn't fit into their vision of Fallout. It wouldn't surprise me if we will treated with more lulzy weapons like the Fatman and FPS combat.

Someone at Bethesda must have a cruel sense of humour. :?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jim Cojones said:
skyway said:
1. There are no devs that worked on F1 and F2 in Obsidian
Chris Jones (1&2)
Feargus Urquhart (2, credited for first game as a division director)
Chris Avellone (2)
Scott Everts (1&2)

Yes and most of them never had a major designer role there.
Fallout 2 still raped FO's lore though.

Matt7895 said:
The Codex really is pathetic. The Fallout franchise is back in the hands of a real RPG developer - the remnants of Black Isle, the guys who created Fallout in the first place. Nothing will ever please you lot if it doesn't start in T and end in a.
Show me these remnants of Black Isle. 4 guys? Half of which were doing a "boss" work, never actually touching FO2's code?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom