Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout: New Vegas - By Obsidian, For Bethesda

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Fallout's combat isn't TB, it's bullet time.

YEEAAH.

bhlaab

Erudite
Ahzaruuk said:
No developer in their right mind is gonna make a game with mechanics that was used 10 years ago.

Who wrote this rule, exactly?

How come Capcom can release a fucking NES game in the year 2008 but when it's an rpg it's suddenly crossing the line into dangerous waters? And fuck, Fallout isn't even that old! Starcraft was released in 1997, does that mean Starcraft 2 has to be an MMO because "things change and that's what people want now"?

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
bhlaab said:
Ahzaruuk said:
No developer in their right mind is gonna make a game with mechanics that was used 10 years ago.

How come Capcom can release a fucking NES game in the year 2008 but when it's an rpg it's suddenly crossing the line into dangerous waters? And fuck, Fallout isn't even that old! Starcraft was released in 1997, does that mean Starcraft 2 has to be an MMO because "things change and that's what people want now"?
No, but they won't be molded the same way.

And we can't have that, otherwise it won't be a fallout game!

bhlaab

Erudite
Ahzaruuk said:
bhlaab said:
Ahzaruuk said:

Molded differently? Starcraft 2 is practically the same game!

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
bhlaab said:
Ahzaruuk said:
bhlaab said:
Ahzaruuk said:

Molded differently? Starcraft 2 is practically the same game!
:lol:

Black

Arcane
Ahzaruuk said:
You'll never get a new fallout game in that case.
Shocking, Captain Obvious.

I see a lot of shitty shooters that are basically Wolfenstein 3D with improved graphics.
Especially not FO's TB combat.
Yes, don't they even dare to think about improving it and making it more tactical, like JA2! When we say "we want mechanics" it means we only desire flaws, not improvements. FLAWS!
Seriously, go and die.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ahzaruuk said:

Really? Probably that's why they are making a game with mechanics that was used 25 years ago?
I know that modern kewl kids don't need to know that first person shooters were there much earlier than any turn-based tactics but still.

Ausir

Arcane
You'll never get a new fallout game in that case. No developer in their right mind is gonna make a game with mechanics that was used 10 years ago.

Like the Elder Scrolls mechanics, which haven't changed much since Daggerfall? Or StarCraft mechanics? Or Diablo mechanics?

Rosh

Erudite
baby arm said:
<a href="http://www.mcvuk.com/news/33990/Fallout-New-Vegas-in-surprise-reveal" target="blank">So who here can say they saw this coming?</a>
<blockquote>Bethesda has surprised one and all this afternoon with the shock announcement of a brand new Fallout title for PC and next-consoles next year.

Most interestingly the title is not being developed by Bethesda, and is instead being handled by Obsidian, the studio behind the likes of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Never Winter Nights 2 and Sega’s Alpha Protocol.</blockquote>

Edit: This was actually announced here <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6839">4 years ago</a>.

And with the appropriate response already given by a Bethesda spokesperson.

kathode said:
Would've been funnier if you said we were making them do it KOTOR2 style. Slam dunk!

Well, with only a year or so to make it, this certainly has all the smell of a Feargus IWD expansion/KoTOR2-esque "SLAM DUNK!" Expect a half-finished ga...

racofer said:
So, Obsidian once again biting more than they can chew, producing a sequel with a very tight deadline.

<s>Lucasarts, no wait, ATARI, wait.. SEGA..no no... oh yeah,</s> Bethesda!! RUSHED OBSIDIAN INTO RELEASIN TIHS GAEM BEFOR TEH SCHEDUEL !!

At least the dialog might not read like a pair of children with a severe case of coprolalia, that's about the only good thing to possibly come from this.

raziel014 said:
Bethesda do on the other hand need to begin to invest in newer software for their games. Crapped out GameBryo engine in 2009 is quite FAILure really. They need to buy CryEngine 3 and Euphoria Engine, LightSprint and Umbrella for a game like Fallout 4 or TES5.
Really really am hoping for Euphoria in their games. That would've been amazing.

They really need anything that can do:
Facial expressions, visible NPC moods other than "stoned", and animated speaking to match the voices. The talking heads found in the first two locations alone, even the Overseer's intro speech, retroactively whip the shit out of whatever passes for Fallout 3's expressions.
A real speech system with speech history (so when the engine shits on itself for a bit and stutters, it doesn't skip through dialog lines that could be missed - as if the dialog in Fallout 3 really mattered, anyways.)
A barter system as good as Fallout 1's.

You know, all the good stuff from Fallout.
Until then, whatever pile of shit they have been running into the ground since Morrowind still can't match the original Fallout engine except in terms of graphics. Fallout set many industry standards in the above mentioned engine aspects, aspects that Fallout 3 didn't even attempt to even reach for par.

kingcomrade said:
God, can you imagine. Pandaclaws. Sk8boarding Talking Pandaclaws from Japan who worship Mother Gaia and the Earth Spirits of the Forest and the Moon. In their native tongue they call themselves Shal'Dal'Wal'Nal'La

What, and offend the many Chinese gold farmers that give the Blizzard GM/AA staff kickbacks for doing jack shit about the incessant gold spamming and the compromised accounts that are liquidated of all valuables?

Blizzard would NEVER do that...

There's a reason why they decided to not include pandarians into their shitty, dumbed down EQ clone. But that could perhaps be the only possible way to make a Fallout game with even more lame pop culture jokes than Fallout 2 or 3.

Ahzaruuk said:
You'll never get a new fallout game in that case.

Swing and a miss.

You *do* happen to realize that the Fallout developers purposefully decided the P&P CRPG feel as much as possible, returning to the core and feel of the genre's roots from P&P games while at the same time setting quite a few new industry standards (see above listing of the Fo3 engine's failing at being able to accomplish par with said industry standards), when everyone else in the market were too busy chasing trends and the same kind of FPS-derivative gameplay others were turning to. Aka, cloning the shit out of another successful title.

Might and Magic
Arena/Daggerfall
Diablo
Ultima
Etc.

All of these were RT, FP, or both, long before Fallout came around.

The genre kept being filled with titles that weren't really CRPGs due to lack of C&C, instead putting them back into another one of the Adventure sub-genres such as Dungeon Crawler, Action Adventure, etc. Fallout was a return to the old-school CRPG roots by design as set forth by Wizardry and Ultima, even after Ultima was cashed into first RT combat and then platform gameplay for Super Avatar Bros. Then they made Virtue Raider and completely lost the world design so many loved, because of the "modern" marketing straw man.

The sad thing to note: FP and RT aren't remotely new, they just happen to be the only mechanic mentally deficient marketing departments can understand so they can throw the same "immersive, exiting, pulse-racing" hype words they churn out on a constant basis, to in turn fool people who are even dumber than they. Heaven forbid that the industry comes out with something that requires the modern gamer to think anymore. Plus the TB/RT ISO/FP etc. arguments about "modern" are total trash when you consider the market difference between the West and the rest of the world. TB is quite alive and well outside of the United Slums of America and the surrounding suburbs. Coming up with a simple game for crackheads who barely possess a grade school education is far easier than going through the effort of design that involves a little thought on the part of the player. It would insist that the developers have a bit of intelligence themselves, and that is sorely lacking as of late when the marketing department calls the shots.

I don't mind RT or FP, when they are done well. Given the topic, pardon me as I go change my shorts, I just shit myself laughing.

In short: RT and FP is oooold, man. It's well over 15 years old by now, 20+ in several cases. How about something comparatively new, fresh, thought-provoking, and different from the rest of the milieu?

Ha! Right. Not in the "bigger, better" X-Brick market. Clones, all of them.

Rosh

Erudite
And now for the low shot at Sawyer and crew:

I just CAN'T WAIT for <s>Descent to Undermountain 2</s> Fallout: New Vegas!

Data4

Arcane
Maybe there will be a resurgence in iso (or psuedo-iso) third person when Diablo 3 wipes the floor with the competition. Note: I AM NO DIABLO FANBOY. I've never played either of them. I just know how mindblowingly popular they were and have a hunch part 3 will do quite well.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Ah, a ghost from the past. Reminds me of times when the codex was full of angry cunts instead of whiny pussies.

*salute*

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Data4 said:
Maybe there will be a resurgence in iso (or psuedo-iso) third person when Diablo 3 wipes the floor with the competition. Note: I AM NO DIABLO FANBOY. I've never played either of them. I just know how mindblowingly popular they were and have a hunch part 3 will do quite well.
Well, once the people stop posting shitty shoops of de-saturated screenshots and realize "Dark" is a mood and not a gamma setting.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
I'm looking forward to this. The endless boring rant/battle threads? Not so much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom