Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Fallout: let's grill this sacred brahmin

Master

Arbiter
Would rather remind you of rogue and rogue-likes.
Pretty sure I don't have to wait 3 hours after my character move to be able to move him again in any rogue(and rogue-likes) games. If you are unable to get his argument, seek suicide.
I know what you mean and I've held that view before but TB is legitimate even with a single character if for nothing else than in order to override player skill in a very non-negotiable way that in Fallout's case even fits thematically.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fallout is a masterpiece for what it does.
Indeed. There isn't a single RPG that does what Fallout does better or even comes close, with the exception of Fallout 2 and New Vegas.

(some include Arcanum as well, but content-wise, ech)

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Meh. I see what people are saying in regards to these threads getting old after a while. I've seen like 3-4 of these threads and I've only been here for two months. Regardless, OP is roughly correct.
Turn based combat (and that's a subject for another rant) only works at all when you've got multi-character parties.
Underrail's combat is fucking great and only involves one character.
Fallout is a masterpiece for what it does.
Indeed. There isn't a single RPG that does what Fallout does better or even comes close, with the exception of Fallout 2 and New Vegas.
Can someone please explain to me what it is that Fallout does and why it does it better than any other RPG?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
C&C, obviously.
C&C needs to be contextualized with a setting and characters that make you care about them, as well as gameplay elements to make it all enjoyable. I can think of several RPGs that do all of these things better than Fallout. You're probably fucking with me, but oh well.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Can someone please explain to me what it is that Fallout does and why it does it better than any other RPG?

A game where the entire world is hypothetically open to you at the start with content gated by combat encounters, where you travel from social hub to social hub, talking to people at each of them, doing favors, using yer non-combat skills where applicable, and occasionally (but optionally) taking sidetrips to more combat- and/or exploration-oriented areas.

Machocruz

Arcane
Specifically, gameplay/build based C&C, not just picking dialogue options that alter the plot. That is Fallouts's selling point to me, but I'm not saying they are the best at it because I haven't played every single game ever made. I'd offer up Deus Ex as the main competitor in that area, of what I've played. I hear Arcanum is strong there too.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
A game where the entire world is hypothetically open to you at the start with content gated by combat encounters, where you travel from social hub to social hub, talking to people at each of them, doing favors, using yer non-combat skills where applicable, and occasionally (but optionally) taking sidetrips to more combat- and/or exploration-oriented areas.
There are many games which are vastly superior to Fallout in terms of their actual combat encounters and the quality of their social hubs in terms of setting and characters in these areas.

And of course, even if I was to concede that Fallout was indeed the best at such a thing, that doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to judging Fallout's quality as a game.
Specifically, gameplay/build based C&C, not just picking dialogue options that alter the plot. That is Fallouts's selling point to me, but I'm not saying they are the best at it because I haven't played every single game ever made. I'd offer up Deus Ex as the main competitor in that area, of what I've played. I hear Arcanum is strong there too.
Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with Fallout being the best gameplay/build based C&C, that doesn't change the fact that there are many other factors which are more important when it comes to judging the quality of a game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There are many games which are vastly superior to Fallout in terms of their actual combat encounters and the quality of their social hubs in terms of setting and characters in these areas.

And of course, even if I was to concede that Fallout was indeed the best at such a thing, that doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to judging Fallout's quality as a game.

Don't take bits and pieces of what I said. It's all of it, as a whole.

Tigranes

Arcane
In Fallout, shit makes sense for the world we're in, and it makes sense in a way that is usually pretty cool to think about & pretty fun to play around. That's a rare quality.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Don't take bits and pieces of what I said. It's all of it, as a whole.
My original sentence addressed everything you said, but I cut out parts of it because it was redundant. Fine.
There are many games that have implemented large portions of the world hypothetically open to you at the start with content gated by combat encounters, where you travel from social hub to social hub, talking to people at each of them, doing favors, using non-combat skills where applicable, and occasionally (optionally) take sidetrips to more combat and/or exploration-oriented areas in ways that are superior to Fallout.

Perhaps not the entire world and with some added caveats/exceptions, but of course the core has remained the same. And again, even if I was to grant you that this wasn't the case it still doesn't change the point I made in my original post,
Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with Fallout being the best gameplay/build based C&C, that doesn't change the fact that there are many other factors which are more important when it comes to judging the quality of a game.

Machocruz

Arcane
Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with Fallout being the bespt gameplay/build based C&C, that doesn't change the fact that there are many other factors which are more important when it comes to judging the quality of a game.
I agree, I was responding/adding on to Viata's comment. All types of C&C are not equal, so it's not enough to just say "c &c". Not to me at least.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There are many games that have implemented large portions of the world hypothetically open to you at the start with content gated by combat encounters, where you travel from social hub to social hub, talking to people at each of them, doing favors, using non-combat skills where applicable, and occasionally (optionally) take sidetrips to more combat and/or exploration-oriented areas in ways that are superior to Fallout.
Name them.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Name one.
FO simply has that certain "je ne sais quoi"; Call it soul, taste, style, 1+1=3, whatever, it's there. It's why the greats are the greats.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is subjective. Perhaps it's not important to you, many others here obviously disagree.

Also proposing ItsChon gets the "weasel" tag because he made a claim that disparaged Holy Fallout and refused to backed it up.

Shouldn't have said many because there haven't been many isometric RPGs that have been released. Regardless, Underrail and the Baldur's Gate series are what immediately come to mind.

Underrail is not that, because it has much less emphasis on talking to people and a lot more on mandatory combat. BG is even more combat-oriented.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Sure, kid.
Hence "masterpiece for what it is".
I'm fine with people saying it's a masterpiece for what it is. I'm not fine with people saying it's the best game of all time.
This is subjective. Perhaps it's not important to you, many others here obviously disagree.
It's not subjective, because if I was to take a game that had the best gameplay/build based C&C, but just wasn't a fun game to play due to the writing or combat, than it wouldn't be a good game.
Also proposing ItsChon gets the "weasel" tag because he made a claim that disparaged Holy Fallout and refused to backed it up.
Not true. I still maintain the claim, but the claim isn't necessary for my argument to be true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom