Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The only long-time thing here is your butthurt towards me for laughing at your raging fanboyishness an year ago. New Vegas had to have everything close together because you don't get transported to a huge world map when you get out of a town.

Uh... I don't remember you. I just looked at your post, plus your post count, and thought it was funny. Nice backpedal though, now that you looked up Fallout on a Wiki somewhere:thumbsup:

backpedal

in first person

So it's not butthurt, just genuine retardation? Eh.

I think you've misunderstood him (unless I've read it wrong), I think he was referring to the "everything's too close together" thing rather than the idea of implementing a FO1/FO2 style map.

Yeah. Now that I think about it, maybe Makabb meant doing the entirety of NV in 1&2 style, but he mentioned the world map so the thing that came to mind is Daggerfall's way of doing it.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Arcanum used the daggerfall method as well you could actually walk across the world without using the map granted it was mostly empty aside from random objects, rivers, and mountains. Didn't make for much excitement but it was still kind of neat.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Eh..? In Fallouts you get teleportet between towns with a chance of random encounters. From the gameplay perspective it has no distance between locations at all.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Eh..? In Fallouts you get teleportet between towns with a chance of random encounters. From the gameplay perspective it has no distance between locations at all.
Chance of random encounters goes up the further away things are, so you're already wrong.

Also, there is the fact of time pressure on the water chip quest and super mutant invasion, making traveling long distances more costly.

So you're double wrong.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
And furthermore, different areas have different sets of encounters and certain terrains had encounters which forced you to consume water/spend time looking for some if you didn't have any in your inventory^

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
This has nothing to do with ''locations being too close'' in NV. It was already explained that making map with the same scale as in original Fallouts in a FPS game would make it a walking simulator.

Well, I don't often diagnose people over Internet, but in your case I'd lean toward both

k. Thanks for reminding me FO1&2 were played in first-person, in any case :M

Arcanum used the daggerfall method as well you could actually walk across the world without using the map granted it was mostly empty aside from random objects, rivers, and mountains. Didn't make for much excitement but it was still kind of neat.

Yup, the idea is nice but no one would really do it in practice (unless they're trying to prove a point or just see how far they can go before boredom sets in), so in the end you end up exploring less even though there technically is much more to explore.

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher

You mean Fo3 ? Because Fo1-Fo2-FoT have distances and proper travel system. You had to weight the pros & cons before any travel. It is not the moronic Fo3-FoNV teleport system.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
The point is that traveling through map isn't the same as traveling in FP mode so expecting FP game to have the same distances between location is retarded.
Btw, there are not much cons in traveling through map in Fallouts, because most encounters are easily avoidable by quickly running to the edge of map. Problem only if shit AGI or unlucky critical in the first turn or something.

naossano

Cipher
- Why the hell do you insist on first person perspective ? It is not needed in Fallout.

- Then you mix up First Person Perpective with continuous gameworld. You don't have to put a continuous gameworl in each and every first person perspective game. There are thousands of games that do pretty well without it. Many would even say that continuous gameworld can be detrimental to world building as every location become too close to each other. You can also have a travel system between nodes in FP game without the need of a primitive continuous gameworld.

- Getting rid of the stupid free teleport system doesn't mean getting read of means of travelling, like vehicles, or public transportation. Even games with continuous gameworld like GTA can have a lot of means of quick transportations that are a billion times less moronic than Fo3 teleport.

- You DO weight the pros & cons before travelling in games like Fo1-Fo2. There are the risk of encounters, the ressource to consume (like fuel for car, ammos, etc...), and the time you spend doing that travel. If you haven't done everything in a location, you ask yourself how many quest are worthy of waiting to come back for, as you won't do the travel a thousand time. You might skip those quests entirelly, risk doing those quest too early in order to avoid future travels, or leave those quests for a later time, which involve having to travel all the way back for those. If you take only the Real-life time needed for travelling, it already implies some factors to take into account in decision making. There is no decision to make when you teleport for free.

- By the way, easily avoiding random encounters implies that you have good outdoorsman to avoid most of them, or good sequence, to spawn far from the npc. If you have low sequence or low outdoorsman, travelling is far more risky and takes far more time.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Did you even fucking read what caused this squabble? The whole talk is because someone said NV locations being too close to each other (which they are not) not because there is some yet to be made Fallout game in unknown engine.

As for avoiding random encounters in Fallouts, i never had any problem. Sequence is always good, because only retard don't go with at least 8 AGI and outdoorsman is not needed. Only problem running off the encounter square back on to world map would be of you travel into super mutant territory at level 1 in a vault jumpsuit or something like that.

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher
Did you even fucking read what caused this squabble? The whole talk is because someone said NV locations being too close to each other (which they are not) not because there is some yet to be made Fallout game in unknown engine.

Then why insisting in defending the godawfull FoNV engine ? It is one of the main flaw of the game, that create many problem, which some of them are admitted by even yourself.

Lemming42

Arcane
The "everything is too close together in NV" argument is weird. Morrowind never gets called out on it, but if you increase the draw distance you can see Vivec from Seyda Neen.

It's all about using tricks to make the world feel larger. Morrowind does it really, really well, but New Vegas' map often feels larger than it really is too. Considering quite a large portion of the map is just flat terrain leading up to the big Vegas city area, it's impressive how expansive the world can feel at times.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Yeah, they did good given they have only wasteland to operate with. No one criticized Gothics for the same issue either and they, especially the second had the benefit of werdant wilderness and mountainous serpentines to obfuscate smallness behind.
Then why insisting in defending the godawfull FoNV engine ?
Huh? Everyone seem to bash it.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What this discussion is about? Fallout 1 and 2 tried to convey a sense of mistery of you exploring an unknown world so it had a huge world map to simulate travel and don't make things boring. Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns and NV is a mod for Fallout 3 but not made by monkeys this time, if you had to walk forever to reach a place would be boring as fuck.

naossano

Cipher
I am not sure i need to remind that again, it is not necessary to have a continuous gameworld in video game. Location can be far from each other if you implement a travel system, that don't make you walk all centimeters between location A and location B. Also, removing a fucked up teleport system doesn't mean that walking all the way is the only other option.

If someone said that plane should be removed, would you automatically think that you will have to swim the whole way from Europa to America ?

DeepOcean

Arcane
I am not sure i need to remind that again, it is not necessary to have a continuous gameworld in video game.
Wot? Are you defending a world map system on Fallout 4? Because I didn't read anyone claiming it was necessary to have a continuous gameworld on a video game just that Fallout 3, NV and probably 4 are continuous gameworlds by design and if that was the design choice, any way of travelling short of teleportation for travelling really long distances, multiple times is boring as fuck and if travelling long distances is boring as fuck, there is no reason at all to make the places far from each other if you can't fill the resulting huge map with content anyway.

naossano

Cipher
Then why making a continuous gameworld if you know it will be incredibly fucked up with everything awfully way to close to each other ? Remove the continuous gameworld and many problems are solved at once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom