Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 is overbashed here

GreyViper

Prophet
Prosper's ramblings just add finishing touches to that travesty of thread.
See what this game did to Prosper! It drove him insane, let this be lesson to us all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know why people even bother talking about the less awful parts of Fallout 3. Yes. Fallout 3 had some parts that were sort of kinda decent. These parts do not make the game better in any way. What defines Fallout 3s quality has to be the parts that stand out. The better parts of F3 do not stand out as particularily brilliant in comparison to other games. The shittier parts of it although, oh boy. Fallout 3 contains some of the shittiest parts of writing and worldbuilding in any game I have ever played. It does not matter if the atmosphere reaches some kind of good for what it is level sometimes when randomly wandering around when you have things like the omniscient and ever annoying THREEE DAAAWG who only makes news reports about you, Moira who's shittiness needs no introduction (she fucking forgives you after you nuke her for no reason, like nothing happened you know), Vampires in Fallout, super orcs with "gore bags" that you loot for ammo, a completely nonsensical plotline involving the ever present completely nonsensical enclave, whos computer leader you get to kill itself for no reason and a myriad of other shitty things.

Nobody bashes fallout 3 because of it's less offensive things. We bash it because when it sucks ass, it really puts all it's mind and heart into it. It's suckage would still be highly disturbing even if the Fallout IP had nothing to do with it. The bad parts are just that bad that the game becomes diffivult to salvage. Why search for gold in a septic tank?

Seriously, this anti-intellectual stance doesn't help, man. This is the Codex - we analyze everything, we quantify everything. It's what sets us apart from the 'tards.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Fallout 2 has some goofy stuff.

Fallout 3 has shitloads of utterly batshit insane stuff that is just plain retarded and many of this utterly retarded shit is directly related to the main story, not just easter eggs or occasional funny sidequests.
I'd say that's a good distinction to make, though I'd argue Fallout 2 actually had more ridiculous stuff pound-for-pound. It's just that in Fallout 2, you could accept it as jokey side content, whereas Fallout 3 is big, dumb and stupid both by design and the incompetence of the developers.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Fallout 3 was Codex's GOTY 2008

A lot of people played it and liked it despite majestically shitting on it pre-release. Bethesda is improving, good for what it is, better than Oblivion - you know the drill.

People shitting on it today is just your typical Codex hypocrisy showing especially in light of New Vegas getting praised even if it's little more than a big quest/map DLC to Fallout 3.

Gotta make some game a scapegoat otherwise no easy targets to grind fast KKKs on.

Here's a small riddle for you

What post will get more brofists?
a) Fallout 3 is no better or worse than dozens of other popamole shit coming out today which Codex plays and likes

b) lolol Fallout 3 shitsux u r just a moron for even daring to think it's not like that

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm starting to think the only reason you keep pointing out imaginary "Codex hypocrisy" is that you're insecure over your own inability to enjoy oldschool 80's and early 90's RPGs.

It's your way of "grinding fast KKKs".

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout 3 was a decent game. Better than Fallout 1 and infinitely better than the shittarded Fallout 2 in which I couldn't be bothered to get past the tutorial before I ragequit and deleted it. The story in fallout 1 was better, but that's like saying Hitler was better than Stalin because the NAZIs had cooler uniforms. Neither game takes advantage of the setting to tell a genuinely unique story tailored to it. Fallout 1 is just a shitty rehash of boring fantasy without a touch of creativity. SarumanThe Master spawns a whole bunch of orcssupermutants and tries to take over teh world. But it has C&Csesss! Yeah, in addition to the new and original "kill the final boss" or "let the final boss kill you" options you can also talk him into killing himself by pointing out to a Cleveian supergenius that he didn't quite notice his spawns are sterile. :lol: Fallout 3 at least throws the derp in your face right from the beginning so you don't feel like your intelligence has been insulted after putting in a dozen hours into the game only to have what has to be one of the dumbfuckest endings in gaming history cockslap you in the face. And what's left once you get past the story? At least Fallout 3 has a sizable exploration area with enough flavor that it doesn't all seem the same while keeping the general utter lack of creativity that poisons the entire series from making you throw your keyboard through your monitor at bay. Fallout 1 has no exploration, it's an empty open world with a handful of small uninteresting locations. Which leaves Fallout 1 with what? Ironically, it's the decent popamole combat that makes it merely mediocre instead of complete shit. I expect popamole from an RPG with FPS gameplay, but I bet nobody ever saw the popamole coming in an RPG with tbs gameplay. :lol: Fallout does nothing to take advantage of its gameplay style, the turn based combat doing nothing other than letting you take your sweet time popping those moles. But hey, enjoy your shitty generic fantasy story, simplistic "made for retards" combat and giant empty map in your "traditional" RPG clearly made for monocled aristorcrats. :lol:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
:4/5: :troll: HHR, next time write how Awesome and MAJESTIC tm Oblivion was for extra:flamesaw:
On more serous note why to even touch F3 when FNV has all F3 had to offer and good Story, Pacing, C&C, and Factions to play with?

FNV does not have all F3 has to offer. Not even close. The main attraction of open world games is the exploration/dungeon crawling, somehting Fallout 3 is much better at. Fuck, vanilla NV is so bad that half their fucking DLCs offer better exploration than the original. The story is better than Fallout 3, but it's still banal shit boring and does nothing to take advantage of the unique setting. With small modifications you could add the exact same story to an rpg that takes place in modern times, or ancient history, or fantasy, or sci fi.

DraQ

Arcane
I guess HHR is conditioned to unquestionably believe in stories of unnecessary sacrifice and therefore cannot properly scrutinize FO3.

He's also conditioned to believe in illogical, BSB good VS evil shit and therefore cannot properly scrutinize Oblivion.

:smug:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
All good stories are built on Archetypes, Courier got wronged by bad King, takes revange and becomes New good King... as Old as Bible and Greek myths. Much better than unholy melange of F1 and F2 done in F3. As too exploration goes FNV didn't had stupid repetetive hores like Metro Tunnels and Disneyland feeling from getting every Fallout related place cramped as in Theme Park. :drink:

Marsal

Arcane
Mastermind has been added to your ignore list.

1329499591.jpg

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
All good stories are built on Archetypes, Courier got wronged by bad King, takes revange and becomes New good King...

Courier got wronged by benny, who is not a king in any sense of the word. He can be come a new king, but he doesn't have to be good. He can also support one of three other kings instead. It's not a particularly creative story but it's hardly archetypal and more importantly it's more entertaining than any of the other fallout stories.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't understand why people keep comparing Fallout 3 with Fallout 1 and 2. They are completely different types of games.

Fallout 3 should be compared to System Shock and Deus Ex, which makes it even more obvious how bad the game is...

EG

Nullified
Fallout 2 has some goofy stuff.

Fallout 3 has shitloads of utterly batshit insane stuff that is just plain retarded and many of this utterly retarded shit is directly related to the main story, not just easter eggs or occasional funny sidequests.

And HHR loves the batshit, as it is great for what it is.

Different tastes for different people . . .

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Are there any mods or combination of mods that make Fallout 3 a decent game? I know a lot about Oblivion mods done to improve the game but not those from Fallout 3. Give install order if possible.

Fallout 3 is great if you like going though all the same ruined subways for more than 10 hours before reaching Rivet City, personnally I was not brave enough to endure that; and Rivet City will forever stay as a dot on the map of my Pipboy to which pointed my magical compass. Perhaps that the game becomes great after that but I seriously doubt it.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
Induction cannot logically be justified. My brain can highlight text lines.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Fallout 3 is great if you like going though all the same ruined subways for more than 10 hours before reaching Rivet City, personnally I was not brave enough to endure that; and Rivet City will forever stay as a dot on the map of my Pipboy to which pointed my magical compass. Perhaps that the game becomes great after that but I seriously doubt it.

I swim to rivet city at level 1 in every playthrough to get the int bobblehead. you don't need to go through a single subway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom