Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 is overbashed here

NecrosD

Novice
Sorry but no just no, even though there was a few interesting locations and quests in the game it was ruined by shitty consolization of everything, retarded overpowered VATS system, derp scaling, endless fucking corridors, Three Dog, banal repetitive combat facing supermutants over and over again, Knights in Shining Power Armor, herpa-derpa karma system (blow up city - give water to bums to bring it back up :P) etc etc

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
I just escaped from a lake of poorly stacked styrofoam, weak tables, and annoying pipes.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
:4/5: :troll: HHR, next time write how Awesome and MAJESTIC tm Oblivion was for extra:flamesaw:
On more serous note why to even touch F3 when FNV has all F3 had to offer and good Story, Pacing, C&C, and Factions to play with?

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Fallout: New Vegas was great because it took so much from Fallout 3. It was like an upgraded version of it. :troll:

Linden

Arcane
I agree about the environment being pretty athmospheric at times, especially the DC ruins. At times it even feels a little postapocalyptic - especially when you walk through DC with nothing but empty ruins around you and not a super mutant in sight.

The game can be decent as long as you avoid Megaton and don't talk to derpy characters. My best experience with the game was larping an insane survivalist who just avoided people and shot at anything and everything getting too close. Kinda sad that you have to play a game the way it's not intended to be played to get any enjoyment out of it... but as Bethesda likes to say: just do what the you want.

Bahamut

Arcane
Really, Fallout 3 is like skyshit, its a post-apo hiking sim and its somewhere fine with it, but the game is a shit fallout, what only connects it to the franchise are the themes from original fallout that are disconected from their original context (BoS, mutants, enclave, Harold, geck, water chip), implemented as todd and that fat dude seen fit. Besides it NPC's , dialogues, quests are shit.

Personaly i use a mod that adds FO3 to NV, it really shows the divide between quality of these two

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
Maybe we could pay for Fallout 3 to be remade by inventing the 3 legendary bird pokemon. i have a theory that if we want articuno, zapdos, and moltres to be real it involves a numbering scheme. 1, 2 , 3. where 1 of something is different to 2 of something si different to 3 of something.

3 equal fire
2 equal lightning
1 equal ice

if we could pull this off and make real legendary birds of pokemon japan woudl pay us a great deal. and japan is no shy horse for helping with things . see bandai and new vegas involvement. but back to what i mean, 1, 2, 3.

we will start with lighting and add something to make fire.
we will start then with ice and add something to make it like lighting.

set icecube on fire it melts into vapor that turns to storms that turn to rain.
lighting causes fire.

maybe like with diablo 2 or special layouts the truth about the 3 legendary birds is what they focus their powers on. the ability to make fire from lighting. the ability to just make lighting. or the ability to... wait how do i make ice?

ok well the ability to use a fire extinguisher. although that manly fireman job is more for hitmochan or hitmolee or machop. back to fallout. if we can earn our money from our legendary bird we wil also have earned fame and able to developer the one true fallout 3 replacement. bethesda has shown us the way we only need to fix what they have done. shit by the time we finish all this we will be pros with radiation and problabhy make mutants genetically enhanced pkemon equals more fallout. then we need power armor to resist pikachu attacks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I thought there was a group of people here who thought it was "good for what it was" then someone made a LP and everyone else laughed at how bad the writing was.

you have to give credit to Bethesda for resurrecting a franchise from the dead and making it into one of the most popular in the world.
Fuck this sentiment. Van Buren was canceled in December 2003, Bethesda licensed it in July 2004. It wasn't dead that long. Moreover
abm4c4.png

Obsidian also tried to make a bid, so we missed out on a potential Troika Fallout 3 or a resurrected Van Buren thanks to that greedy fuck Caen and Bethesda.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I will say that Fallout 3 does have some "good for what it is" elements that others have pointed out - the DC ruins and other atmospheric locations, a couple of the side-quests, the visual direction and design of the wasteland, etc. I also do like some of its ideas mechanically, like repairing guns and crafting new items out of junk, but they were both poorly balanced in practice. Taken as an open-world dungeon crawler, I think it actually excelled - I still remember a few locations, like the huge sewer system with the ghoul living in the bottom of it, the Deathclaw Sanctuary, or that old military base where you find the T-51b armor. Ultimately there are definitely fun things about it and I have no problem stating I played it for around 80ish hours, like every Bethesda game, and I don't regret it - I had fun wandering around shooting and looting, especially once I had some mods installed.

Taken as an actual sequel to Fallout 1 and 2, though, the game is a pretty big disgrace for obvious reasons - awful writing, stupid quests (though at least some have some choices to make), simplified/bastardised combat and character system, etc. - and I really, really think they should have just given it a spinoff title instead to avoid associating themselves too closely with Fallout and setting false expectations. Of course, we now know that nothing is sacred when it comes to Bethesda.

I'll also say that now there is literally no reason to go back to Fallout 3 now that New Vegas is out. It has more content, better mods, better DLC, a better story, better quests, better writing, more memorable and plausible locations, and so on. I actually tried out Fallout 3 a year after playing New Vegas and it was really, really difficult to enjoy... I had fun the first time with it because I went in knowing the writing was going to be bad and just ignored it, but New Vegas sets the bar for that so much harder that in Fallout 3 it just becomes endlessly distracting.

Rpgsaurus Rex

FO3 was fun if you treated it as some generic popamole RPG/shooter in post-apoc and milked it for some exploration + numbers going up.

The problem was, it had FALLOUT in its name. We expected a Fallout game. Instead, we got Oblivion 2: Post-apoc

So fuck you*, and fuck Bethesda too

*Sorry HHR I have nothing against you in person but reminding me of what a proper Fallout sequel could have been makes me rage

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I'll also say that now there is literally no reason to go back to Fallout 3 now that New Vegas is out. It has more content, better mods, better DLC, a better story, better quests, better writing, more memorable and plausible locations, and so on. I actually tried out Fallout 3 a year after playing New Vegas and it was really, really difficult to enjoy... I had fun the first time with it because I went in knowing the writing was going to be bad and just ignored it, but New Vegas sets the bar for that so much harder that in Fallout 3 it just becomes endlessly distracting.

Makes one wonder how they will handle Fallout 4. Will they build upon all the improvements Obsidian made to the game mechanics (weapon mods, ammo crafting, survival mode, improved level scaling etc), or will they ignore it all in their arrogance and end up just pasting a post-apocalyptic skin onto Skyrim.

Rpgsaurus Rex

It's not arrogance, it's catering to mass consumption audience (who thought FO3/Oblivion/Skyrim were the best games ever): simple business sense. Who gives a fuck about Wasteland/FO1/2 fans.

Stinger

Arcane
I thought there was a group of people here who thought it was "good for what it was" then someone made a LP and everyone else laughed at how bad the writing was.

Fuck this sentiment. Van Buren was canceled in December 2003, Bethesda licensed it in July 2004. It wasn't dead that long. Moreover
abm4c4.png

Obsidian also tried to make a bid, so we missed out on a potential Troika Fallout 3 or a resurrected Van Buren thanks to that greedy fuck Caen and Bethesda.

Last I checked there was a massive thread on the codex where people argued over Troika bidding on Fallout license and Leonard Boyarsky intervened and said that the publisher they made a deal with were interested in the license but bailed when they thought Iply had set too a high price for it. Bethesda had nothing to do with that.

I also remember a Chris Avellone interview recently (in the last year or so) where he clarified that Obsidian never made a bid for Fallout, which makes sense, at that time Obsidian had barely gotten started and weren't in any position to go after Fallout.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You should stick to trolling the Politics-forum HHR. You are much more efficient at that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
FO3 was fun if you treated it as some generic popamole RPG/shooter in post-apoc and milked it for some exploration + numbers going up.

The problem was, it had FALLOUT in its name. We expected a Fallout game. Instead, we got Oblivion 2: Post-apoc

*Sorry HHR I have nothing against you in person but reminding me of what a proper Fallout sequel could have been makes me rage

So tell me what do you think about New Vegas?

I don't know why people even bother talking about the less awful parts of Fallout 3. Yes. Fallout 3 had some parts that were sort of kinda decent. These parts do not make the game better in any way. What defines Fallout 3s quality has to be the parts that stand out. The better parts of F3 do not stand out as particularily brilliant in comparison to other games. The shittier parts of it although, oh boy. Fallout 3 contains some of the shittiest parts of writing and worldbuilding in any game I have ever played. It does not matter if the atmosphere reaches some kind of good for what it is level sometimes when randomly wandering around when you have things like the omniscient and ever annoying THREEE DAAAWG who only makes news reports about you, Moira who's shittiness needs no introduction (she fucking forgives you after you nuke her for no reason, like nothing happened you know), Vampires in Fallout, super orcs with "gore bags" that you loot for ammo, a completely nonsensical plotline involving the ever present completely nonsensical enclave, whos computer leader you get to kill itself for no reason and a myriad of other shitty things.

Nobody bashes fallout 3 because of it's less offensive things. We bash it because when it sucks ass, it really puts all it's mind and heart into it. It's suckage would still be highly disturbing even if the Fallout IP had nothing to do with it. The bad parts are just that bad that the game becomes diffivult to salvage. Why search for gold in a septic tank?

Repressed Homosexual
Three Dog can easily be turned off if you don't like him. Also, for the rest, Fallout itself is already full of goofy stuff. I even remember a ghost, teleportation, time travel and grays in F2.

The reason why I still enjoy it is justly because of all the goofy, creative elements to search for and enjoy. In comparison, New Vegas, while a better RPG, has very dull buildings and environments except for some of the vaults.

Rpgsaurus Rex

So tell me what do you think about New Vegas?

Didn't play.

I hated how FO3 departed from the unique FO1/2 visual Cold War tongue-in-cheek / Stalker-ish desolation style, as it became just boring, bland post-apoc shit (FO2 didn't take itself seriously, but at least it did so in style). It was like a Hollywood remake rape of some old classic. No quality story and quests could remedy that lack of "Fallout" for me. Same reason I didn't play MotB - if I wanted a great story I'd rather not have to bear with shitty generic art, shitty combat and shitty everything else, I'd rather read a book.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout 2 has some goofy stuff.

Fallout 3 has shitloads of utterly batshit insane stuff that is just plain retarded and many of this utterly retarded shit is directly related to the main story, not just easter eggs or occasional funny sidequests.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Prosper's ramblings just add finishing touches to that travesty of thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom